diy solar

diy solar

Help with figuring out how to add more power to my Bluetti AC200P.

This works with lead acid batteries. Buts it’s 100 watts maximum. Too slow to be useful I think, but it does work in a pinch.
I know almost zero of solar stuff, and actually, batteries in general, but my common sense tells me that hooking up a battery direct is probably not a good idea, well, not unless someone says it is. :)
I believe you when you say what you said, the others too, I'm just wondering why I am seeing it all over the place and they make it seem as though it's not only O.K., but commonplace.

The main thing I see is like you said, it's take a long time to charge the battery up 'from' the AC200P.
I saw where some had a LifePo4 battery and charged it by a $259.00 charger made for those batteries, (no other in-between stuff) and using those batteries in an off-grid cabin, I think that's O.K. from what I have seen, but the cost of the battery AND the charger is not cheap. Then again, none of this stuff is really cheap. :)

Thank you for your helpful input, Cyan!

O.K., I just got to thinking and wondered, would having these work with an AC200P?

Really, I'm not trying to drive anyone insane, well, this time, but I am thinking about ways of going about things, that's all, it helps me understand stuff too, sometimes.
So, if you would, just bear with me, would these two together work if the charger was hooked up to my Bluetti, and, if the battery was hooked up to the charger?

The solar panels power the Bluetti, the charger is powered by the Bluetti, the charger is powered by the charger.
The charger SHOULD have ALL that a person would need to do this with all of the 'normal' in-between things, I would think.
I am pretty sure that it would be a SLOW charge, but still, it seems to be possible, and actually safe.

It may not be something that one would do, but for me, it seems doable.

(The links are clickable if you care to, these are just for an example I found on Amazon)

1655068675398.png
Battery

1655068709891.png
Charger

Totally possible, but you definitely still need a fuse so you don’t burn down your house. That charger isn’t high amperage but still enough to harm you. And definitely make sure that battery has a good BMS with over current protection. If you overcharge lithium batteries (even LFP) they tend to go poof. I hope that charger is programmable or configurable. If not, you risk over charging the battery. The stuff on Amazon always looks inexpensive, but it’s really just Chinese companies dumping off cheaply made products with no oversight or regulation.

Also your charging method is only to charge up the external battery. You still need a way to “pull” the energy from that external battery back into the Bluetti. For that, you need an DC-to-AC inverter. That would then push 450watts at a time into the Bluetti. Alternatively, you can use some other high voltage DC-to-DC step up inverter to max out the Bluetti’s PV input port. (145V, max of 15A on the AC200Max)

You CAN try to use the 12v cigarette lighter input port on the Bluetti (and again more fuse banks, shunts, and maybe a DC-DC step down converter) and at best it’d be 100w at a time since the input port on the Bluetti only allows 12V/8.1A (12 * 8.1 = ~97.2 watts). Meaning it’d take 12 hours to fully deplete that battery into the Bluetti. And you won’t get the full 1.2kWh dumped into the Bluetti. Probably 80-90% of that. And you’d still probably have to monitor it manually. You’d also need a female cigarette lighter socket wired into the battery.

I like answering your questions. Happy to help. Glad you are learning.

Totally possible, but you definitely still need a fuse so you don’t burn down your house. That charger isn’t high amperage but still enough to harm you. And definitely make sure that battery has a good BMS with over current protection. If you overcharge lithium batteries (even LFP) they tend to go poof. I hope that charger is programmable or configurable. If not, you risk over charging the battery. The stuff on Amazon always looks inexpensive, but it’s really just Chinese companies dumping off cheaply made products with no oversight or regulation.

Also your charging method is only to charge up the external battery. You still need a way to “pull” the energy from that external battery back into the Bluetti. For that, you need an DC-to-AC inverter. That would then push 450watts at a time into the Bluetti. Alternatively, you can use some other high voltage DC-to-DC step up inverter to max out the Bluetti’s PV input port. (145V, max of 15A on the AC200Max)

You CAN try to use the 12v cigarette lighter input port on the Bluetti (and again more fuse banks, shunts, and maybe a DC-DC step down converter) and at best it’d be 100w at a time since the input port on the Bluetti only allows 12V/8.1A (12 * 8.1 = ~97.2 watts). Meaning it’d take 12 hours to fully deplete that battery into the Bluetti. And you won’t get the full 1.2kWh dumped into the Bluetti. Probably 80-90% of that. And you’d still probably have to monitor it manually. You’d also need a female cigarette lighter socket wired into the battery.

I like answering your questions. Happy to help. Glad you are learning.
Thank you for that, Cyan, I appreciate the answers.
I was only mulling it around in my head, just wondering, and I assumed that since battery charges, especially well-made ones, they could probably already have what they needed, so maybe that was not correct.

Believe me, I know full well that stuff on Amazon and the rest too, they have junk, I personally only buy stuff that has a (recent) excellent review. Of course it all depends on the 'thing' I am looking at, but mostly I go by that. Amazon is just easy, that is why they are so popular, I use them to 'find' things, then I shop from there, whether it be there, or somewhere else.
Anyway, what you said is very helpful, and I am glad that people (like you) take the time to help others learn, that is how YouTube was in its infancy, if you remember, and I miss that.

Again, I don't even pretend to know all of what you said, but, as long as this site is up and running it will be here for me to delve into, which I am sure I will.
In most ALL of my thinking is due to the recent news that here in Texas (and other states too) that we will probably have Winter black-outs, I am just trying to think of what is possible with 'just a battery' in case of an emergency. (or, batteries)
That battery charger was not one of the ones that I'd buy, I just typed in battery charger and went for it, I did see one that was specifically made for LifePO4 batteries, I think that one was too, but it was a cheap-o.
I don't want to jump head first into all that goes into a normal build here, I am not made for that, hence the Bluetti.

Still, I will be looking at how things are done, and learning a little bit, and I do mean a little bit. :)
I will more than likely at some point be more serious, with some actual learning under my belt in the near future about the DC-to-AC inverter you mentioned.
Right now I have my refrigerator running on my AC200P as a test, I'll see what it can do in actual time. I learn best by just doing it.

Thanks again for you time, and I am sorry I was so wordy, but this, when I learn, is kind of fun. Well, more fun than it was. :)

Take a look at Will’s videos on the milkcrate builds, it will go through the steps of wiring together an inverter, 12V cigarette socket, fuse box, shunts, and everything you need to do exactly what you’re planning to do. It’s exactly what you need.

Take a look at Will’s videos on the milkcrate builds, it will go through the steps of wiring together an inverter, 12V cigarette socket, fuse box, shunts, and everything you need to do exactly what you’re planning to do. It’s exactly what you need.
I know, and in the beginning of my wanting solar a few years ago, I watched Will do all of this and really, it didn't look hard, but age and health changed me, and it is definitely harder. :)

I can definitely look at a chart that shows it all together and it makes sense to me.
You know how easy it is to hook up a solar panel? I do too, but when I try it, it's not as easy for me as one might think.
Having a learning disability is, well, a disability. :)

Thanks for that, Cyan, like always, I really do appreciate your efforts.

This works with lead acid batteries. Buts it’s 100 watts maximum. Too slow to be useful I think, but it does work in a pinch.
It would at least give you a little more capacity during a power outage. I have and EB150 and am considering that. I just need to keep a fridge and wifi running to get by.

recrisp: There are also some Youtube videos of people hooking up batteries to the input of various Bluetti models. If it really makes you feel better, go to Blutti.com and ask them.

It would at least give you a little more capacity during a power outage. I have and EB150 and am considering that. I just need to keep a fridge and wifi running to get by.

recrisp: There are also some Youtube videos of people hooking up batteries to the input of various Bluetti models. If it really makes you feel better, go to Blutti.com and ask them.
I have seen a few videos that have their Bluetti's hooked up to batteries, such as the one I have posted somewhere in this thread.
That is why I asked, I have gotten, Yes, No, and maybe answers. heheh
I personally don't know, I was only asking because I assumed that the answer would be cut and dried, but I guess not.

I just need to keep my refrigerator AND a freezer running, but especially the refrigerator,so I can relate.

More than likely, what was already said here, that Bluetti would not want to talk about LifePO4 batteries because they don't sell them to the public, I mean, they may talk about it, but may not know, or would automatically advise against it. I'm only guessing here, but companies are that way.
I thought about calling them, but I'm not ready to do much yet except get what I already have going, and I'm still waiting on some parts, and, I may be buying another 200w panel, for a total of 1000w. (I have the Enhancer, so it allows me to add more panels that the norm)

Anyway, MOST of the videos that I have seen people that added batteries was the guy in the video above. I have seen bits and pieces of others, but I don't remember where they were right now.
I have NOT seen ANY videos where they were ONLY talking about doing that though, with the exception of the guy in the above video.
Now to me, that would be VERY interesting to see, and read the comments below it too. :)

If you know of ANY battery videos about all of this, please post 'em if you got 'em. :)

Whether it's good or bad, I'm still interested in learning what people have done, I just find it very interesting, I also like to watch car wreck videos. heheh

Thank you, for your input, BB!

I did send a message to Bluetti on their website about hooking up a battery directly to the DC input of the EB150 and they said it was OK. Since you can buy an adaptor with battery clamps for the AC200P, then they do allow it. Anyway, it would not hurt to call them just for piece of mind. You said that you have the "Enhancer". Do you mean the D050S DC Charging Enhancer? If you that, then just hook up your external battery to it for piece of mind. Either way should work, but if I had the D050S enhancer, I would just use that. Unfortunately, they don't have them available where I live. I will probably just make my own using a DC to DC step up converter that has internal adjustable current limiting.

Yes, I do have the D050S DC Charger.
I saw that battery cable hook-up, and that is what is in the video that Bluetti has on Amazon, the one with the cables.
I know that they say "It's O.K.", but I was kind of wanting opinions on people that have tried/used it. Nobody here really used it, one guy said he did, but I think he never replied back. I can't remember. :)

If anyone goes to Bluetti's OWN forum, you will see that they have REALLY bad reviews from customers and nonexistent customer satisfaction. In other words, they don't seem very helpful, AND, if I had a company that had a forum, I would make sure to have someone answer those people, that is nothing but bad news the way they handle it.

I may go ahead and get that cable adapter, I don't have a battery to hook it up to, but it's only a few dollars, and, they seem to be hard to find sometimes. I really don't need it right now, this was a question I had, 'just in case' I needed more power in the near future, power failures, etc.
(My power went off this morning and I thought I was going to have to jump to action, but it only lasted 40 minutes) heheh

Thank you for your VERY helpful reply, it is very much appreciated. :)

You should be OK. I would recommend getting all the stuff that you need for the external battery hook-up soon. If you are in an area that loses power frequently, it is better to have everything ready ahead of time. We have a lot of power issues where I live and that is why I got a couple of EB150's. I ordered parts that will allow me to charge from an external battery. With the EB150, it needs at 16V to 60V on the DC input to charge the battery. I bought a DC to DC converter with both constant voltage (CV) and constant current (CC) adjustments that will allow me to adjust the power input to a safe level. I think that the D050S is a CV/CC charger. It will be easier for you because you have the D050S already. They are not available where I live, so I will just make one for about 1/10th of the cost. BTW, where do you live? Just curious because of the power issues that you have?

You should be OK. I would recommend getting all the stuff that you need for the external battery hook-up soon. If you are in an area that loses power frequently, it is better to have everything ready ahead of time. We have a lot of power issues where I live and that is why I got a couple of EB150's. I ordered parts that will allow me to charge from an external battery. With the EB150, it needs at 16V to 60V on the DC input to charge the battery. I bought a DC to DC converter with both constant voltage (CV) and constant current (CC) adjustments that will allow me to adjust the power input to a safe level. I think that the D050S is a CV/CC charger. It will be easier for you because you have the D050S already. They are not available where I live, so I will just make one for about 1/10th of the cost. BTW, where do you live? Just curious because of the power issues that you have?
Thanks, I will get one of the battery clips that work with batteries. I've been spending money like crazy lately, I try to not do it, but I still feel I need to, 'cause, well, you know. :)
The D050S is a CV/CC charger, I hooked it up today just to see what it would do, and nothing, it didn't do nothing, but, I didn't read about it yet, I figured that it'd do 'something'. heheh
I bet that you can make a D050S just as good as what the one that I bought, it seems to be hollow it's so lightweight, it's a hollow feeling plastic box, probably with just a little bit of tech in it. :)

I live in Texas, we have blackouts all of the time in this small Northeast Texas town, but it's just bad planning on the City, I think, it's been that way for the 6 years that I have been in this town.
Our Government has already told us about blackouts this Summer, and if you are in Britain or Europe, then you're supposed to have them this Winter, from what I understand. I have a friend in GB and she told me that.

I have the B230 piggyback battery with my AC200p. I have them stacked on a small 4 wheeled dolly that I can easily move around the house if need be, as they are at least 100 lbs together. My recent Power Queen purchase was mainly as an overflow for max solar harvesting purposes.
This is probably the best bang for your buck from BLUETTI. I love the Power Queen idea, but I dislike adding more wires, which is why I went with a solgen in the first place. I guess you also have to keep switching wires to charge the Bluetti from the Power queen eh?

The D050S only pulls 10amps, which is quite low if you connect a 12V battery to it. Ideally you would want to pull more amps to max out its ~500w output capabilities. It should be fine if you connected a 48V server rack battery to it though to max out the wattage.

This guy here tried to build his own to connect his Bluetti with a Power Queen:

I did the same thing for my EB150. I can adjust the current and voltage so it gives a CV/CC charge. Mine is smaller because I only use for power backup. If I want to extend the capacity, I just hook it up to the DC input and adjust the voltage and current.

Back