diy solar

diy solar

High Voltage Inverter

Been using it almost a year. It took about 2 months from the time I ordered it in late 2021. No real complaints. I haven't checked on it for a few months now. When I ordered it I had planned on doing something similar to you with a model 3 battery. But the seller ended up falling out after I had ordered the unit. So I have been running 4 48v EG4-LL batteries with 2 in series for 96v. No issues with the inspection. But I am not allowed to back feed so It runs on zero export.

Been using it almost a year. It took about 2 months from the time I ordered it in late 2021. No real complaints. I haven't checked on it for a few months now. When I ordered it I had planned on doing something similar to you with a model 3 battery. But the seller ended up falling out after I had ordered the unit. So I have been running 4 48v EG4-LL batteries with 2 in series for 96v. No issues with the inspection. But I am not allowed to back feed so It runs on zero export.
That’s fantastic that’s it been a breeze! I’m assuming you installed it yourself? And what’s the reasoning for not being able to back feed? What state are you in if you don’t mind sharing. I also have a hook for a model 3 battery if you’re still looking for one. He’s just down the road from me. 30,000 miles or less on the pack. No damage

I did install it my self - located in GA. Few reasons on not being able to back feed - One my local co-op electric company had maxed out the number of homes they wanted to be able to back feed. Two the price they paid per KW was pathetic. So I decided to not full around with it - Possible why the inspector spent a only few mins looking it over. Here is a pic on the install. 20220402_133949.jpg

I did install it my self - located in GA. Few reasons on not being able to back feed - One my local co-op electric company had maxed out the number of homes they wanted to be able to back feed. Two the price they paid per KW was pathetic. So I decided to not full around with it - Possible why the inspector spent a only few mins looking it over. Here is a pic on the install. View attachment 123546
That’s fantastic! What’s your battery capacity and what all are you running on electric? We are getting ready to construct a new home come spring time, here in north east Indiana. I’m a builder and we will be doing an all electric home, heat pump, high efficient water heater, induction stove top, electric dryer and so forth so curious to see what you have running completely off grid.

I like the fact they are super quite. No fan so the only noise is the transformer hum.

That’s fantastic! What’s your battery capacity and what all are you running on electric? We are getting ready to construct a new home come spring time, here in north east Indiana. I’m a builder and we will be doing an all electric home, heat pump, high efficient water heater, induction stove top, electric dryer and so forth so curious to see what you have running completely off grid.
Currently I have 20Kw of battery storage between the 4 EG4-LL batteries. I have a 5 ton a/c, induction stove, and electric dryer as well. But since I am running these with net zero export the grid handles a lot of the surge on the A/C. Seem to run everything without much fuss.

Last edited:
Currently I have 20Kw of battery storage between the 4 EG4-LL batteries. I have a 5 ton a/c, induction stove, and electric dryer as well. But since I am running these with net zero export the grid handles a lot of the surge on the A/C. Seem to run everything without much fuss.
So you are still connected to the grid, just isn't hooked up to a bidirectional meter then correct? That way no back feeding can happen.

Interesting. Never knew that was even an option!

What kind of surge do you see when te large appliances start up? Is it something the inverter can handle on its own?

Interesting. Never knew that was even an option!

What kind of surge do you see when te large appliances start up? Is it something the inverter can handle on its own?
I know the A/C has a surge of 80-90 amps. Never tried running it off grid however. I have 3 deep freezers and a mini split that I ran without any issues. Since its a high frequency inverter its surge is limited. This was the overload from the manual. 110%,30S + 120%,10S + 150%,0.02S

I know the A/C has a surge of 80-90 amps. Never tried running it off grid however. I have 3 deep freezers and a mini split that I ran without any issues. Since its a high frequency inverter its surge is limited. This was the overload from the manual. 110%,30S + 120%,10S + 150%,0.02S
To be honest, I'm not sure what that means! ha

Do you still have the seller or link on Alibaba that you ordered from?

Its means it can run and 110% surge for 30 seconds, 120% for 10 seconds, and 150% for 0.02 seconds.
I ordered it from Greensun solar.

I am assuming this is the one you bought? Seems in my situation, it is not applicable due to the lower battery input range.

I am assuming this is the one you bought? Seems in my situation, it is not applicable due to the lower battery input range.
No my model is R8KH1NA which goes up to 400v DC for the battery.

No my model is R8KH1NA which goes up to 400v DC for the battery.
The website I found doesn't have those specs for some reason or that inverter for some reason... Shoot.

The model I was looking at was the 12kw unit, same model number but instead of "8", it was "12". On the search...

Interesting... It says for battery input of having a nominal 150V but yet has a range much higher....?

I would be curious if you were able to take your 4 batteries and place them in series to get 192v nominal and see what happens! Probably not the best test to do though since your system has been working for quite a while.

I reached out to a few suppliers that I believe may have these units including the one you went through, but haven't gotten a response as of yet.

1670525499970.png

I was also given the same manual as well as this email from the manufacturer, but the model he recommended is different than the 1 you have.
1670525666164.png

I would try if I could. But I believe 96v is the max that the server rack batteries can handle. I know the side plate just show the max voltage range which is 85v-400v. It looks like they might have changed the model in the past year, but its hard to tell. Check with Megarevo on the nominal voltage. There might be a few left in stock somewhere...

I know the R8KLNA is a 48v unit so that's not going to work.

Attachments

• 20220331_133834.jpg
    20220331_133834.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 7
Exactly. Trying to reach out to these inverter companies is posing quite a challenge. I'll keep searching, but having no luck at the moment.

When you bought yours, did you have any contact you made during the process?

Back