diy solar

diy solar

House burned down

Oke wy not use a breaker like this model?
I use this models for my self .
Its use in marine base systeem

It base on .Ceramics

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240604-170236.png
    Screenshot_20240604-170236.png
    242.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240604-170251.png
    Screenshot_20240604-170251.png
    342 KB · Views: 7
Oke wy not use a breaker like this model?
I use this models for my self .
Its use in marine base systeem

It base on .Ceramics
Those fuses are rated to interrupt 2,000A at 58VDC maximum. A bolted fault with parallel strings could exceed that rating, which is what happened in the OP's case; the Mega fuses are rated 1,000A at 58VDC IIRC.

A Class-T fuse in contrast is rated to interrupt 20,000A at 125VDC maximum.

Those fuses are rated to interrupt 2,000A at 58VDC maximum. A bolted fault with parallel strings could exceed that rating, which is what happened in the OP's case; the Mega fuses are rated 1,000A at 58VDC IIRC.

A Class-T fuse in contrast is rated to interrupt 20,000A at 125VDC maximum.

I agree
But the fuse wat i use my self will not burn
No plastic house need it .
This is one of the reason we use it in boats.
Its direct by the battery and if a kabel break thanks to the water go up and down .
The systeem wil be save .
Do not forget a boat is steel (well what i have 12ton of steel)

Sorry my Engelse is not that great.
And i'm dyslexie (look up if you need to know what that is )

Is a good use for cars to boats and wy not use it in a house .
Just a safety by the battery.

But normal if a lipo4 is not diy model.
The bms had shut it down .

Other thing i use is a victron battery protect unit .
But that can only handel 220 amps continu on 12/24volt systeem so its not for use in a house.
Model Victron battery protect bp-220 .
Its just a extra save systeem i use so that i do not need the bms .
The systeem go off for that the bms shutdown to low volt or if thare is a problem by overload .

My lipo4 do 150amps continu and about 600amps for 10 sec .
After 3 time over the limit the systeem shutdown.
And i have to restart from the app .

The bms is for me a last save systeem .
But i life on the boat its my home.
So i have to have a good systeem .
If i'm on the sea (North Sea ) i'm alone if somtings happens.
No fire truck no help nothing .

It wasn't the plastic that likely caused the OP's fire, it was the plasma arc that was caused by a fault greater than the interrupting capability of the fuse. The plasma arc then ignited an explosive atmosphere. For batteries installed in a confined space like a boat this is still a concern. (An arc fault can melt metal, so the difference between metal and plastic is insignificant. A ceramic fuse that is exposed to a current higher than its interrupting rating will not be able to break an arc.)

The MRBFs are a great solution for providing protection close to the source, but if you have more than 1-2 strings they might not be sufficient to interrupt a full-current fault. One way to work around that is to have the MRBF mid-string, and have the Class-T fuse at the common busbar for each string. This way if the MRBF fails to open you still have the Class-T as backup. If you have a fault between the battery and Class-T you still have some level of fuse protection.

The plasma arc then ignited an explosive atmosphere.
the mega fuse was not the problem, the not existing bms per paralel battery bank was.
of course something else can ignite a explosive atmosphere if a cell vents hydrogen.

a class t fuse would not have saved his house

at all, again and again.
a fuse does not protect the battery a bms is needed on each paralel bank!

the mega fuse was not the problem, the not existing bms per paralel battery bank was.
of course something else can ignite a explosive atmosphere if a cell vents hydrogen.

a class t fuse would not have saved his house

at all, again and again.
a fuse does not protect the battery a bms is needed on each paralel bank!
You need both the BMS and the fuse for different reasons. We are in agreement on the OP's situation given the information available. (BMS logs would have been useful in determining just how quickly the battery failed and if the correct protection mechanism was a BMS alone or if a fuse was required to isolate the string.)

Personally, on a boat I wouldn't consider anything but a UL9540 battery installed fully within the manufacturer's parameters. I am not aware of a solution yet that is well suited to marine applications over ~15kWh on a single bus.

You need both the BMS and the fuse for different reasons. We are in agreement on the OP's situation given the information available. (BMS logs would have been useful in determining just how quickly the battery failed and if the correct protection mechanism was a BMS alone or if a fuse was required to isolate the string.)

Personally, on a boat I wouldn't consider anything but a UL9540 battery installed fully within the manufacturer's parameters. I am not aware of a solution yet that is well suited to marine applications over ~15kWh on a single bus.
A fully boat that use full electric systeem and not fuel.
Have systeem that go up 230 volt and even higher to 600 volt dc to ac .
Like a house its more easy to use the same volts so you only have to switch dc to a ac systeem.
So all what is use in house can be used in a boat.
You have ac and dc breakers .
The electrical engine room is close of from water .
Ground go in to the water .

Than a house

In the usa you only have 120 volt and 220 volt for high volt systeem. (400volt ??)
In the eu we have 243 volt and 400 volt in our home
And we can even go higher if we like after a license to 600 volt.

Our basic house fuse from the energy Company is
1x40 amps if it a old house or 3x16 amps .
This is the basic.
Than we can pay extra for 3x25amps after that we go to the max and that is 3x35 amps.
After new ground kabel if you pay the cost.
3x45 amps and up.

3x35 amps is about 24kw of power.
Not that strange we go full electric in the eu by the year 2035.
No gas for heating .
Full electric cars and boats.
Electrische heating systeem by a groundheat pomp systeem .
Reason in my country 4 new nukepower systeem are going to be beult.

But we go of topic.

Looks like it is designed for two cables in parallel, only one burned up.
Were you using two? If so, it possible the undamaged one has slightly higher resistance, so the other one took the hit.

How much current was going through there? 50mm^2 welding cable is rated for 255-345A depending on manufacturer.
Not clear what the connector is rated for, but I would guess 200A.
You can use either connection. There are two connections so you can put boxes in parallel

I agree
This is one of the reason we use it in boats.
Its direct by the battery and if a kabel break thanks to the water go up and down .
The systeem wil be save .
Do not forget a boat is steel (well what i have 12ton of steel)

Sorry my Engelse is not that great.
And i'm dyslexie (look up if you need to know what that is )

Is a good use for cars to boats and wy not use it in a house .
Just a safety by the battery.

But normal if a lipo4 is not diy model.
The bms had shut it down .

Other thing i use is a victron battery protect unit .
But that can only handel 220 amps continu on 12/24volt systeem so its not for use in a house.
Model Victron battery protect bp-220 .
Its just a extra save systeem i use so that i do not need the bms .
The systeem go off for that the bms shutdown to low volt or if thare is a problem by overload .

My lipo4 do 150amps continu and about 600amps for 10 sec .
After 3 time over the limit the systeem shutdown.
And i have to restart from the app .

The bms is for me a last save systeem .
But i life on the boat its my home.
So i have to have a good systeem .
If i'm on the sea (North Sea ) i'm alone if somtings happens.
No fire truck no help nothing .

Translation:
I agree with your points. However, the fuse I use personally does not burn out. There is no need for a plastic housing. This is one of the reasons we use it in boats. It is connected directly to the battery, and if a cable breaks due to the water's movement, the system remains safe. Remember, my boat is made of steel, weighing 12 tons.

I apologize for my poor English. I also have dyslexia (you can look it up if needed).

This setup is suitable for cars and boats, so why not use it in a house? It provides safety by the battery. Normally, if a LiFePO4 battery is not DIY, the BMS will shut it down.

Additionally, I use a Victron battery protection unit. However, it can only handle 220 amps continuously on a 12/24V system, so it is not suitable for house use. The model I use is the Victron Battery Protect BP-220. This is an extra safety system I use, so I do not rely solely on the BMS. The system shuts down if the BMS detects low voltage or an overload problem.

My LiFePO4 battery can handle 150 amps continuously and about 600 amps for 10 seconds. After exceeding the limit three times, the system shuts down, and I have to restart it from the app.

For me, the BMS is a last-resort safety system. Since I live on a boat, which is my home, I need a reliable system. If I am out at sea (North Sea), I am alone if something happens—no fire truck, no help, nothing.

diy solar

diy solar
Back