diy solar

diy solar

House burned down

The take away on Solar power is that the installation is a system with many interdependent parts, all of which must be designed to fit together properly and safely - called a reliability chain. One weak link can make the whole system crash.

I would need to heat the batteries and inverter in the winter. It can get to -10F here in Wisconsin. And at the same time that I would need to heat the insulated shed, I would be netting about 8-12kW / day making it completely pointless. All of my solar would go to heating the outbuilding and it probably wouldnt be enough.
Do peeps puts power wall battery banks down in their basements. In the frozen north, dont they have heated garages? Maybe you would need a sump with a steel lid to put the whole battery bank. At least the fire Dept could fill it with water. All electrical switchgear, inverters inside a steel cabinet. All important cable cutters, gloves and goggle permanently hooked on the wall.

Hmm, a fire resistant tank that can be flooded - and a high mounted water reservoir tank. Silica blanket - got some of this, cheap and really effective. Whats not to like?

Last resort, buckets of sand

Attachments

• image_2024-07-27_044217609.png
    image_2024-07-27_044217609.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 1
To add to this, that outbuilding should also be air conditioned to keep the batteries and electronics cooled.
sure take all possible and reasonable precautions. though I think if you double walled the structure with insulation between both walls and an air space separating the two your need for a/c would drop dramatically except for in the desert locations.

I would need to heat the batteries and inverter in the winter. It can get to -10F here in Wisconsin. And at the same time that I would need to heat the insulated shed, I would be netting about 8-12kW / day making it completely pointless. All of my solar would go to heating the outbuilding and it probably wouldnt be enough.
close to the same temps in the winter, -5f for me. I heat my batteries and it does not use that much at all, I do not heat the entire structure though, just the batteries. XPS foam battery boxes aluminum spreader plates and the heating pads. no controls what so ever just wire the pads in series spread them across the plates and let ohms law control the output for you. batteries hang out between 15°c and 25°c. no controllers, no logic circuits, raspberry Pi's or ardurino... nothing to monitor other then a temp data logger (which I no longer look at.) I have photos of the battery banks spaced across this forum specifically in ones concerning cold weather use and offgrid use.

The fuse picture i posted was just an answer to the "what is a meltfuse" question.
The exact fuse was a mega 48v, 300 A.
Can it be, that the battery was 48V nominal too?
Such batteries go wide over 48V, up to 58V regularly when charging and possibly, even much more for a few ms when the fuse blows under full load.
That is more than enough to start a DC arc, which is specially hard to extiguish.
I think, the fuse should be rated 64V-DC. at least.
DC is weird.

That is more than enough to start a DC arc, which is specially hard to extiguish.
I think, the fuse should be rated 64V-DC. at least.
DC is weird.
I have a theory that a simple plant spritzer water spray is more than enough to extinguish an arc fire <48V. It takes the heat away and the arc stop ionising.

But I havent set up my test bench yet to prove it

Anyone else have a go - try using a dc arc stick welder and get OH to spritz the flame. The arc volts should be ca 20V (though it starts at 60V and Amps ca 100A

I have a theory that a simple plant spritzer water spray is more than enough to extinguish an arc fire <48V. It takes the heat away and the arc stop ionising.

But I havent set up my test bench yet to prove it

Anyone else have a go - try using a dc arc stick welder and get OH to spritz the flame. The arc volts should be ca 20V (though it starts at 60V and Amps ca 100A
Be sure to dip your rod in wax first before testing, most hyperbaric welding is in the 300-400amp range maybe at the amperages were using the arc wouldn't sustain but I'd be inclined to think the water will just vaporise but wetting the surrounding area might prevent the arc from spreading.

diy solar

diy solar
Back