diy solar

diy solar

How many BMS do I need for 10 DIY 12V 100Ah batteries?

How many BMS do I need for 10 DIY 12V 100Ah batteries?
What voltage will you be running the bank at? What are the plans for the batteries?
If 12V, and you pair them together, 10 BMS protects the cells the best.
If you link the cells in parallel, you should be able to cut that in half... if you link all 10 packs, so the cells are in parallel, a single BMS could do it, but you would sacrifice cell protection.

if you use a BMS that actually tells you the voltage of each cell in the series you could get away with 1 BMS but It probably would not be the most efficient. I would make at least 2 3p4s batteries and 1 4p4s battery which would require 3 BMS. The problem with having cells taht are too large is there is a lot of energy to move around if a cell needs balancing. Even a 2Amps of active charging will take days to balance if something goes wrong. The thing about a BMS that tells you each cells voltage is you can see if something is getting odd and investigate. A "dumb" BMS one that gives no data could get you having a bad cell without knowing.

A better option would be to build a 24V battery if you can use it in your system. that would cut whatever BMS are necessary in half.

This person will have to decide IF they want 12V / 24V or 48V FIRST and then actually maybe formulate a PLAN as to what they "need" and then figure out what they "want" above and beyond need before any answers of value can be provided.

Other outstanding questions by this user.

This person will have to decide IF they want 12V / 24V or 48V FIRST and then actually maybe formulate a PLAN as to what they "need" and then figure out what they "want" above and beyond need before any answers of value can be provided.

Other outstanding questions by this user.

Agree, the other questions floating out there by the OP are detail issues of a system build. Many details need to be resolved regarding system requirements like operating voltage before resolving alternator charging issues.

I strongly suggest the OP visit the links put up in this post in regards to overall system design;
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/alternator-charging.6465/

Back