diy solar

diy solar

how many BMS's

civilsub

think that i may be a little slow. I am building two 4 cell 12v 100aH batteries which i plan to then put in parallel for a total of 12v 200aH. do i need two BMS's (one for each battery) or can i use one BMS to monitor the entire battery bank?

@MisterSandals Thanks for the picture. I am NEW at this and trying to wrap my head around all I am learning. Yours is making 8 cells into 1 12V 200AH battery, correct? It looks like you put them in 4 parallel pairs first, then put the four parallel pairs in 4 Series. How is that different than this diagram from Will that is a 24V system?
24V Battery system.PNG
From your picture it looks similar, but Will's has two bus bars on each series. Am I seeing the right? Your label on the image is 4S2P, but you still put them in Parallel pairs first then in series, correct?

I am trying to learn enough to buy two of these:
LiFePO4 12 200Ah Batteries
and make a 24v 200AH battery. How would I do that with a minimal number of BMSs?

Also on that page, with images and descriptions entangled, are mentions of 24v and 48v BMS systems... (attached is what the OP should use from that page)

View attachment 6877
I thought the OP was building for 12V...??? In the first post he said: "I am building two 4 cell 12v 100aH batteries which i plan to then put in parallel for a total of 12v 200aH"

think that i may be a little slow. I am building two 4 cell 12v 100aH batteries which i plan to then put in parallel for a total of 12v 200aH. do i need two BMS's (one for each battery) or can i use one BMS to monitor the entire battery bank?

Do you have a particular BMS in mind? I have a hard time finding a 200A 12V BMS that I like and is affordable.

I am trying to learn enough to buy two of these:
LiFePO4 12 200Ah Batteries
and make a 24v 200AH battery. How would I do that with a minimal number of BMSs?

OK.... , the best way to make a 200AH 24 Volt battery it is to start with 200AH cells and arrange them like this:

1581126424613.png

In the original post, 100Ah cells were mentioned. To minimize the number of BMSs on a 24V bank you would wire 100Ah cells like this:
Note: This is Parallel-first and is my preferred way to do it if I am ganging up smaller cells to get higher Ah.

1581126269735.png

Other folks on the forum believe series-first is better, but it requires 2 BMSs. Using 100Ah cells, parallel-first would look like this:

1581126365814.png

• All 3 of these arrangements end up with 24V 200aH.
  • In all 3 arrangements the BMS(s) are 8S BMSs,
  • In the 8S2P arrangement the two BMSs can be half the current of the BMSs of the other two arrangements.

It looks like the image came from this page:
https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/design-your-own-12v-lifepo4-system.html

On that page will is talking about 12V systems.
This helps a ton. That is the page I got it from. I had read from the top of the page from 12v then down through the 48v builds. I was having a hard time figuring out how the cells would get to 24v from the diagram at the bottom that I shared previous. Reading again I see that it is referring back to using smaller cells to create a larger battery to the size of a 12v.

I thought the OP was building for 12V...??? In the first post he said: "I am building two 4 cell 12v 100aH batteries which i plan to then put in parallel for a total of 12v 200aH"
You are correct, I think I inadvertently hijack the OP's thread. Sorry.

OK.... , the best way to make a 200AH 24 Volt battery it is to start with 200AH cells and arrange them like this:

View attachment 6888

In the original post, 100Ah cells were mentioned. To minimize the number of BMSs on a 24V bank you would wire 100Ah cells like this:
Note: This is Parallel-first and is my preferred way to do it if I am ganging up smaller cells to get higher Ah.

View attachment 6884

Other folks on the forum believe series-first is better, but it requires 2 BMSs. Using 100Ah cells, parallel-first would look like this:

View attachment 6887

• All 3 of these arrangements end up with 24V 200aH.
  • In all 3 arrangements the BMS(s) are 8S BMSs,
  • In the 8S2P arrangement the two BMSs can be half the current of the BMSs of the other two arrangements.
@FilterGuy Thank you very much! The diagrams are exactly what I needed to help me understand.

diy solar

diy solar
Back