diy solar

diy solar

What's the best BMS?

that_yeti_tech

I have an idea of what I want, but I know next to nothing about BMS's so I'm open to hear any advice. I plan on building one (possibly two) 48v 16s 280AH LiFepo4 batteries. I saw someone on youtube use this BMS for the same system and I am considering buying it: https://batteryhookup.com/products/7s-21s-24v-75v-300a-lithium-ion-bms

Is this what I would need? Is there a better one out there?
Any info is appreciated :)

That one is a JBD BMS someone is repackaging and selling at a higher price. Kinda like what Overkill does. It is also a JBD BMS.

I have four of the Overkill Solar branded JBD. To me, the price premium is worth it based on the BMS being thoroughly tested with attached documentation, outstanding support, and a lifetime no BS replacement warranty.

For the price of two Overkill, I bought 3 JBD with money leftover...that's my warranty.

The best bms is the one that fits your needs/goals the best. What is the criteria???

Here are some aspects:
Price
Communications
Charging amps
Discharging amps
Quality
Size
Ability to run relays

For example, about 3 years ago I was building two different batteries for my MotorHome. A small portable 50ah 12v battery. And a “large” 12v 544ah battery - eight 272ah cells.

For the small one - price, some communications (Bluetooth), small size were the defining characteristics. I chose an Overkill bms (a JBD one). It fit the needs just fine.

But my RV house battery, I needed large discharge amp throughput, (100a x2 was not big enough & that was the largest FET based bms available at the time), and communications, were the defining characteristics. I choose a Batrium bms. It uses either a contactor (relay) or a circuit breaker That is tripped by an electric pulse. I put a contactor a - Tyco EV200AANA. I could use power at whatever the battery can supply 1C continuously (544a) or 2C for a few seconds - that’s over 1000 amps - enough to probably start my big diesel engine (haven’t tested that - but the capability is there). The ability to control other relays was also desirable.

Be very careful in your BMS selection to get the “best” for you bms.

Good Luck

I bought 1 spare. I will likely never need it but I can pop it in if needed. Way better than going the Overkill route.
I wouldn’t say one approach is “better” than the other, I simply stated the premium for a lifetime warranty and outstanding support was worth it for me. Sounds like you have one spare. I have four. I have already received one free replacement because I accidentally fried one, so the premium paid off.

I wouldn’t say one approach is “better” than the other, I simply stated the premium for a lifetime warranty and outstanding support was worth it for me. Sounds like you have one spare. I have four. I have already received one free replacement because I accidentally fried one, so the premium paid off.
You basically paid a premium for the profit of reselling you the same exact BMS that I bought. I bought from the exact same place that they buy theirs at! Guess what...even with their "outstanding warranty" they are still making a huge profit. I chose to not pay Overkill for this "outstanding warranty".

As far as outstanding support...The BMS is VERY simple. I guess if you can't figure out the basic settings, it's worth it to overpay for the BMS for someone to hold your hand. If you are really buying it for support...just buy 1 until you figure out what you need support for and buy the rest from the original manufacturer!

I bought a spare JK for my camp battery build, then replaced both krappy BMS's with a Daly.

I'm sticking with JBD and Daly from here on out.
Personally, I wouldn't touch a Daly with a 10 foot pole.

You basically paid a premium for the profit of reselling you the same exact BMS that I bought. I bought from the exact same place that they buy theirs at! Guess what...even with their "outstanding warranty" they are still making a huge profit. I chose to not pay Overkill for this "outstanding warranty".

As far as outstanding support...The BMS is VERY simple. I guess if you can't figure out the basic settings, it's worth it to overpay for the BMS for someone to hold your hand. If you are really buying it for support...just buy 1 until you figure out what you need support for and buy the rest from the original manufacturer!
Take a breath and lay off the caffeine dude. I’m glad what you’re doing works for you.

Take a breath and lay off the caffeine dude. I’m glad what you’re doing works for you.
LOL...Overkill doesn't even sell the latest JBD BMS! You can get the 150A version for 1/3 the price of the 120A version Overkill sells!

If it works for you to pay 200% more for the exact same thing...go for it!

It works for you!!!! :)

I still don't understand why people still buy inflated priced JBD BMSs from Overkill....just uneducated I guess!

There is 2 reasons I went with Overkill.
Will Prowse testing videos, he said they just work like their supposed too.
#1 reason that sold me, Overkill BMS is approved for medical use, doesn't get any better than that.
Had balancing issues with Daly, emailed Overkill my specs & they said I could use their 100amp 16s with my EVE 3.2v cells.
Balanced all the cells again (for the 3rd time), wired it up & the battery bank has work perfect ever sense.
Took a while to get through the 79 page manual, very detailed.
I can attest to the 1 we have up & running, it just works like it's supposed too.
More cells coming & already bought 2 more Overkill BMS's.

Back