diy solar

diy solar

How Much Space do I Actually Need? -or- Help Understanding SAM's Luminescence Calculations.

digitalabacus

Hello everyone,

The question is simple but I am getting conflicting data from SAM. In short, how much space do I *actually* need on my roof for solar panels for an 8 - 10kW system (still haggling with myself on the exact system details)?

To figure this (and many other things) out, I downloaded and installed SAM. When I punch in my my system details I get the following:

SAM-8kW.png
Now, when I drag my sorry carcass on the roof, I measure 18.9m x 6.5m = 122.85 m^2. Bummer.

But wait! Something doesn't add up here. I can buy (as an example) these 415W Canadian Solar CS3N-415MS panels. Checking the module specs, they are listed as 76.4" x 41.3" = ~2m^2. This would mean that I would need 8kW / 415W = 19.27 panels, round that up to 20 which is in the same ballpark (~18 - ~24) as other houses in my area (No, I totally don't go around surreptitiously counting other peoples solar panels ?). Finally, multiply 2m^2 per panel by 20 panels and we get a final result of ~40m^2, which much more closely matches what "common sense" dictates.

I considered that SAM is including my geographic area but I am in the desert with a southern facing roof (Zone 10); I should be pretty ideally situated for maximum generation. Also, my understanding is that unobstructed solar flux is something like ~1kW / m^2 which seems to fit much more in line with the "common sense" math above once panel efficiency is considered.

So, what gives?

You might try their forum which is dedicated to that software:

https://sam.nrel.gov/forum.html

Preliminary guess is that either the specs for the panel dimensions (and any padding) were much different than your example, sunshine was underestimated, or a combination. I'm not familiar with it, but I'm sure you have a place to configure those parameters.

Back