diy solar

diy solar

How to find help mounting six solar panels on a steep tile roof

mpickus

I need to mount six solar panels on a steep tile roof. Since I do not want to make any holes in the tiles, I am making a DIY version of the Z-Rack system (my job is too small for them). At this point due to a knee injury I am not able to get up on the roof myself though I can supervise the job. Any suggestions on whom I could pay to help with this installation other than a general handyman? Roofing company? Solar installers? I tried a couple of these with no luck.

I would through an ad up on your local craigslist under the Help Wanted and detail your job requirements, bonded and insured, etc.

I would through an ad up on your local craigslist under the Help Wanted and detail your job requirements, bonded and insured, etc.
Depending on your state laws, you may be 100% liable for lifetime costs of anyone injured.
Lots of people aren't licensed contractors.
Lots of licensed contractors say they have no employees (therefore worker's compensation insurance not required) but they really do.
You need to see their photo ID to confirm identity, look up that their contractor's license is valid, have their worker's compensation insurance company send you written confirmation they have coverage.

I've seen designs of brackets that bolt to lumber under the tiles and hole rails outside. I haven't used them, don't know how easy it is to move tiles enough to put in screws.

If not too large a span, I would be tempted to support a rail at the ridge and at the eave, not messing with tiles except for the row on the ridge.

But making an awning off the eaves, supported with struts from the wall, sounds best.

Back