diy solar

diy solar

Can’t Find An Installer…

Griddownprepper

I have attempted to find a solar install company in my area to simply mount 6-8 panels on my garage roof to be able to charge my EF Delta Pros and batteries. Most won’t even call or email back even to say no. Others listen to what I am asking for and then either say no or ignore me until I go away.
What is their problem?. The job for experienced installers would probably take less than a day. DIY is out of my physical capability and I’m not comfortable putting a “handyman” on it.
Any suggestions or references in Connecticut? Thanks.

Hi. I see that all the time. I think times are just a bit too good yet for installers and vendors. Too much work to go around. Which will change with swings in economic activity.

I was not happy with an installer in my area for my Sol-Ark install, so I eventually worked with a local electrician that I have worked with before. We came to an agreement that was basically time and materials, so that they were not out anything if it took longer than expected. Other than that, I had most of the materials, and information ready to go for when they showed up.

Something to consider. Get creative, and find a good reliable company or person to work with, even if slightly outside of what you think of as a solar installer. Electricians are licensed and all that, and may be an option for you too. Or at least know of people they could refer you to.

no solar contractors would talk to me when I said I wanted them to do something with hardware I purchased. Only person I could get to do something like that in my area is going to be a "handyman" type.

You have to understand that for most solar contractors, installing $20K systems that have 10K worth of hardware (meaning they are pocketing 10K in labor) are pulling in like $500/hr (20 man hrs for that $20K install)

So 2hrs to set some panels, $1000? you good with that?

Last edited:
We came to an agreement that was basically time and materials
That is a fair approach. Also someone working for an installer that might want to work on an hourly basis, perhaps with enough minimum hours to make it worthwhile to set up ladders and equipment to work on a roof.

Post it on Craigslist and you'll find a million installers willing to do that job.

The large volume installers just won't do it. They mainly sell loans and hire third party installers that focus on components they make money on.
I’ll give that a try. Of course, I wouldn’t know a good one from an inexperienced…putting trust in humanity these days…jeesh!
Thank you.

I’ll give that a try. Of course, I wouldn’t know a good one from an inexperienced…putting trust in humanity these days…jeesh!
Thank you.
Request code compliant system experience pictures. Ask them what the largest array they've ever done is. Or if they've done battery backup systems.

Thank you.
I know a couple of independent installers here on the west coast. What they have in common is that they take pride in their work and take pictures. If they don’t have pictures that they can pull up for you on their phones, you don’t want them.

I have attempted to find a solar install company in my area to simply mount 6-8 panels on my garage roof to be able to charge my EF Delta Pros and batteries. Most won’t even call or email back even to say no. Others listen to what I am asking for and then either say no or ignore me until I go away.
What is their problem?. The job for experienced installers would probably take less than a day. DIY is out of my physical capability and I’m not comfortable putting a “handyman” on it.
Any suggestions or references in Connecticut? Thanks.
Perhaps contact a roofing company. In my area (NWAR not Conn) they advertise installing solar.

Yes it is a liability. A reputable installer won’t put panels on a bad roof or incompatible roofing. For instance most terra-cotta tiles shouldn’t have panels installed on them. Mine is the perfect example. Mine have had several tiles break on their own or when a fat turkey lands clumsy. I can’t walk on it because I’m too big. The roofer was a spider monkey. No way for roof, so it was ground mount for me.

I know a couple of independent installers here on the west coast. What they have in common is that they take pride in their work and take pictures. If they don’t have pictures that they can pull up for you on their phones, you don’t want them.
Wondering if you could share their contact information. I have a smallish 8-panel rooftop installation that I need help with down to my 6000xp.

Back