diy solar

diy solar

How to test if small panel is producing current and voltage?

rogman16

I have about 6 of these fairly inexpensive Solar Rechargeable LED lights I got from Sam's a few years ago... I am working my way around, testing the old batteries (3 of the NIMH you see below)...

Since the sun is out right now, wanted to test the panels to see what kind of voltage I am (or not) getting... Guessing I put the positive lead from my multimeter in the female center part of this plug and the negative lead on the outside metal??? What type of readings should I get with these small 6"x6" panels??? I trashed the boxes/literature when I put them up, can't even find a brand or model number anywhere on the solar panel or light housing...

Thanks much

Roger V
IMG_4131.jpegIMG_3202.jpeg

Is there any kind of DC Output rating on them? These may have some sort of regulator built into them - a charge controller of sorts. If so, you're looking to establish that output.

It looks to be comprised of 9 cells. 9 cells in series is going to produce about 0.5V/cell at Vmp. If they're used to charge 3S NiMH cells, a charge voltage of 4.5V is about right.

This is how you test a regular panel, but I would hesitate before I shorted them to test for current on YOUR panels.

Back