diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid Inverter PIP 1012LV-MS Reliability

oshky

Hello,

I own the PIP 1012LV and a question has arise. Is the inverter safe for use with a mid-size fridge? You know that these fridges have sensors, circuit boards and other electronic gadgets. I just want to make sure that when the inverter switches between power sources (the transfer switch function) It will not damage my fridge.

Thank you!

Two issues here, power quality, and power quantity. The unit SAYS it produces sine-wave power, and if it does, then most likely all the circuitry will be happy with it. The second, maybe more important issue is surge capacity, which for this unit, I would expect to be nil.

Anything powered with an electric motor will experience what's known as startup surge, or inrush current, for the first 1-2 seconds. Things like a free spinning electric fan has little or no starting surge, on the order of 1.1X. Motors that start under load however have far higher surges, on the order of 3-5X the running current. Loaded motors include refrigerators, freezers, pumps, and compressors.

Do you know how much power the frig draws while running? If it's on the order of just 100W, then even with 5X startup, that would be only 500W. This unit most likely will run the frig without a hiccup. But, I've read reports from other users that a plain-vanilla 1000W inverter will NOT run their frig.

This is one of the low end units, so I myself would say no, it's not going to let the motor start. If it was me, I'd take my clamp meter and determine what the starting surge for the frig is, but I'm assuming you don't have an inrush meter?

A second but related issue is the battery powering this unit. I'll guess you've implemented a 100Ah 12V battery. It has a maximal electrical capacity of 100Ah X 12V = 1200Wh of power. Assuming this frig needs at least 1000Wh per day to run, you most likely will be draining the battery to zero. It is not going to last very long with very deep discharges. So, what is the battery size, and how many watts of panels do you have feeding it?

Realisticly, I'd say the unit you have is only good for a couple hours of light and a bit of television, but nothing else. If any of my guestimated numbers are incorrect, please fill in the corresponding correct values.

First of all, what a great explanation here! Thank you so much. I appreciate it. I'd like to share some information from my end.

My fridge draws between 150W-200W. When the defrost cycle hits, it will draw an average of 500W per 10-15 minutes. I have a 200Ah Lifepo4 12V battery. What I would like the MPP to do run my fridge during sun hours and the battery will hit as a secondary power option. Utility will be my power source during night hours. I prefer to have my battery 100% charged just in case a power outrage kicks in.

I did a short test and the fridge runs so well with the MPPT. It was like a 24 hours test, but then I switched back to utility. I just want to make sure that fridge circuitry will be safe. From your valuable explanation I understand that the sine-wave power provided by the system should not hurt my fridge.

Once again, thank you so much for taking your time and wonderful insights. I welcome any additional comment. Thanks!

Back