diy solar

diy solar

I Can't Afford So-Called "Tier 1" Equipment. What's Good at Tier 2?

I wasn't aware but checked it out. I think that higher idle consumption is a deal breaker for anyone (including me) thinking the mppt "upgrade" was worth it.
Yes, I think it might be better to just purchase the 250V version of the LV6548 and install the EG4 500V charge controller if you want higher VOC and that extra 2% yield (which you could just add more panels). I'll eventually test the 8S against two 4S parallel strings just to see real world results. With the 2 MPPT's per LV6548, might be best to just fully use them.

Yes, I think it might be better to just purchase the 250V version of the LV6548 and install the EG4 500V charge controller if you want higher VOC and that extra 2% yield (which you could just add more panels). I'll eventually test the 8S against two 4S parallel strings just to see real world results. With the 2 MPPT's per LV6548, might be best to just fully use them.
This is what you're doing as a test, right? Depending on how well it works, I may have to consider this as another option. I'd still have to rewire my panels to get rid of the clipping, but maybe. Sure would save a lot of money. How would that look on a wiring diagram?

PV to SCC
SCC to battery bank
Everything else left as is?

Ah, just looked at it again and it looks like there's only connections for one string of PV. I suppose I could buy four of them but I already don't have room to put two of them. Dang it.

This is what you're doing as a test, right? Depending on how well it works, I may have to consider this as another option. I'd still have to rewire my panels to get rid of the clipping, but maybe. Sure would save a lot of money. How would that look on a wiring diagram?

PV to SCC
SCC to battery bank
Everything else left as is?
I just run PV to SCC and SCC to the Victron distributor.

This is eventually a full install so I don't have to pull more wire. It cost a little bit more to put in SCC's to get my full array power back, I've been running only half of the array to keep VOC down. In the meantime, I wanted to compare the 8S string to the 4S and see if it really makes a difference. Like you, I have 4 MPPT's to use on the pair of LV6548's and may make use of those later depending on where I mount more PV.

Yes, these only have one MPPT. They will go to 5500W however. A pair of these and adding some 250V short distance strings to the LV6548's could get me 16Kw plus 11Kw for a total of 27Kw PV.

OK, checked at noon and here are the figures. The 8S string (530W panels) was 4.33Kw and the 4S string (530W panels) was 2.04Kw. Taking the 2.04 times 2 would be 4.08Kw. 4.33Kw minus the 4.08Kw would be 250 watts difference due to the higher voltage. This is fulll sun. That comes to around 5.9% increase by going higher voltage with 8S.

Where is gets interesting is clouds. Partly cloudy today. When shaded due to clouds an hour later, the 8S string is 1.26Kw and the 4S is 656W.

656W times 2 would be 1.32Kw. So when you have clouds the 4S string is more efficient per panel by about 15W. I figured it is about 5%. (60/1260=4.8%)

Reality is that even with the lower string voltage, it seems to be a wash if I was to run 8S compared to two strings of 4S not in parallel, each to a MPPT.

There will be power loss with strings in parallel and I'll try to get that comparison done over the weekend.

Still kicking myself for not ordering those dirt cheap LV6548s from CC savings shack...
You know the old saying about procrastination...
Ian had a deal too with no support and warranty was thru MPP. Right now though he sells a pair at $2099 with full support and 2 year warranty. I'm thinking of buying spares.

Ah, just looked at it again and it looks like there's only connections for one string of PV. I suppose I could buy four of them but I already don't have room to put two of them. Dang it.
For strings that are close to the inverters, use the MPPT's on those. For the higher voltage strings farther away, use the EG4 SCC's.

How much are you clipping and for what length of time thru the day? The 6500EX's clipped and capped input at 3.9Kw and not the 4.0Kw they advertised. 100W times 5 hours times 2 inverters is 1Kwh per day. How long to get the $$'s back for the SCC? At $0.20 it would take just under 7 years. :)

If it comes to 2 Kwh per day, then less than 3.5 years.

For strings that are close to the inverters, use the MPPT's on those. For the higher voltage strings farther away, use the EG4 SCC's.

How much are you clipping and for what length of time thru the day? The 6500EX's clipped and capped input at 3.9Kw and not the 4.0Kw they advertised. 100W times 5 hours times 2 inverters is 1Kwh per day. How long to get the $$'s back for the SCC? At $0.20 it would take just under 7 years. :)

If it comes to 2 Kwh per day, then less than 3.5 years.
All of mine are 100 ft or more away. Because I was a dummy and configured them 4s2p I ended up with max amps of 21.6 so when it clips at 17a I'm losing a lot. I'm averaging around 2400-2500w per string, Even with the clipping it should be closer to 2800w but I think that's because when it ramps up the amps drop even more, down to around 14a to 15a. I believe that's due to the distance.

A lot of rookie mistakes but fortunately I didn't overdo the voltage so at least I got that right. I know better now so it's a matter of figuring out the best way to maximize what I have. The panels are on the shop roof with a pretty shallow grade and I've almost filled it up on the south facing side. I could get one more string of four panels. Or I could put more on the north side and still get decent production in summer and at least something in winter. But the thing is, if I can reconfigure what I have and get closer to the max capacity I don't think I need more panels. Ergo trying to figure out if I want to upgrade the inverters or do something else. Getting those strings all to 8s would eliminate a lot of issues and give me closer to your numbers - my panels are 445w and 455w. If I do have to add more panels it means pulling more wire in the conduit between the shop and the garage. I can probably do it but I'd just as soon not. Pulling wires in conduit that already has a bunch of wires is one of the few "not fun" things. :ROFLMAO:

Hopefully the wall can handle the load. What I would do in a like situation is call on friends to help. If none were available I would contact a Handyman service and pay a few dollars. Now when I was younger I would not hesitate to do it all myself but I am slowly learning that to seek out assistance rather than overwork or hurt myself.
I have a sheet of 3/4" plywood screwed to the wall studs. An old habit from how we mounted stuff in radio tower buildings. It's not going anywhere.

I have a sheet of 3/4" plywood screwed to the wall studs. An old habit from how we mounted stuff in radio tower buildings. It's not going anywhere.
:) There was a time I could carry a sheet of 4 X 8ft 3/4 inch plywood and fasten it to a wall or up a ladder to the roof by myself. Now I have trouble with a 4 X 8ft sheet of foam board. :(

All of mine are 100 ft or more away. Because I was a dummy and configured them 4s2p I ended up with max amps of 21.6 so when it clips at 17a I'm losing a lot. I'm averaging around 2400-2500w per string, Even with the clipping it should be closer to 2800w but I think that's because when it ramps up the amps drop even more, down to around 14a to 15a. I believe that's due to the distance.

That is a huge loss. With one SCC per 8S string, you would have close to 3500W per string. Over 5 hours of good sun it comes to 5Kwh per day per string, about 20Kwh for your 32 panels.

$0.20/Kwh times 20Kwh per day would be $4.00. I think you should spend the $1600 and upgrade to the 4 SCC's. A little over a year for payback.

A lot of rookie mistakes but fortunately I didn't overdo the voltage so at least I got that right. I know better now so it's a matter of figuring out the best way to maximize what I have. The panels are on the shop roof with a pretty shallow grade and I've almost filled it up on the south facing side. I could get one more string of four panels. Or I could put more on the north side and still get decent production in summer and at least something in winter. But the thing is, if I can reconfigure what I have and get closer to the max capacity I don't think I need more panels. Ergo trying to figure out if I want to upgrade the inverters or do something else. Getting those strings all to 8s would eliminate a lot of issues and give me closer to your numbers - my panels are 445w and 455w. If I do have to add more panels it means pulling more wire in the conduit between the shop and the garage. I can probably do it but I'd just as soon not. Pulling wires in conduit that already has a bunch of wires is one of the few "not fun" things. :ROFLMAO:
Wire cost money. In my case, the cost for wire was another $600. The EG4 SCC's were $400 each but I did need to add some battery cable and I also decided on a junction box with busbars to connect both SCC's together before heading to the Victron Lynx busbars. The latter wasn't needed, I could have just ran 4AWG battery cable to the Lynx from each unit.

I'm impressed with this unit, today it was already pulling more than 4240W from the panels. These are not bifacial, just JA Solar 530W panels. I've seen as high as 4.5Kw and the shunt backs it up.

That is a huge loss. With one SCC per 8S string, you would have close to 3500W per string. Over 5 hours of good sun it comes to 5Kwh per day per string, about 20Kwh for your 32 panels.

$0.20/Kwh times 20Kwh per day would be $4.00. I think you should spend the $1600 and upgrade to the 4 SCC's. A little over a year for payback.

Wire cost money. In my case, the cost for wire was another $600. The EG4 SCC's were $400 each but I did need to add some battery cable and I also decided on a junction box with busbars to connect both SCC's together before heading to the Victron Lynx busbars. The latter wasn't needed, I could have just ran 4AWG battery cable to the Lynx from each unit.

I'm impressed with this unit, today it was already pulling more than 4240W from the panels. These are not bifacial, just JA Solar 530W panels. I've seen as high as 4.5Kw and the shunt backs it up.
Your numbers make sense on the surface, but I'm not having to use the grid at all unless it's really rainy and cloudy for multiple days. (Okay, I did run the chargeverter yesterday when it was cloudy just to try it out and it rocks.) Also, the coop here dropped the rate back down to $0.11 so there's that. On the other hand, if I was getting full production I'd probably move the last A/C over which would save me maybe $40 a month during the hot and cold months. So the payback in my case would be quite a bit longer.

I think I'm just going to suffer through this until I come up with a direction on the inverters - upgrade or do something else.

But I'm envious of your setup! Definitely a smart move on your part.

What you are describing is not only clipping but power loss due to wire resistance may be affecting the yield. Double the amps and power loss increases exponential. Hedges and I had some discussion about this way back. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/how-long-should-wire-be.41580/post-589561

All PV circuits are round trip distance, so 150 feet is 300 feet of wire. Power loss is calculated as Imp squared times Resistance. So you double amps, it is squared times resistance. Keep in mind this is at peak power output so actual losses are probably about 1/2 due to half the time is not peak output.

I have been doing it the same way at my power corner. Plywood with tile underlayment on top. Works great for moving things around.
My evolved over time as i learned more and "needed" more. The rules for grid tied in calif changed and wanted to be prepared for it.

Your numbers make sense on the surface, but I'm not having to use the grid at all unless it's really rainy and cloudy for multiple days. (Okay, I did run the chargeverter yesterday when it was cloudy just to try it out and it rocks.) Also, the coop here dropped the rate back down to $0.11 so there's that. On the other hand, if I was getting full production I'd probably move the last A/C over which would save me maybe $40 a month during the hot and cold months. So the payback in my case would be quite a bit longer.

I think I'm just going to suffer through this until I come up with a direction on the inverters - upgrade or do something else.

But I'm envious of your setup! Definitely a smart move on your part.
You have run into the "last 10% or 20%" problem. That last 10% or 20% can become costly to capture and use, the returns diminish greatly compared to the first 80% to 90%.

You have run into the "last 10% or 20%" problem. That last 10% or 20% can become costly to capture and use, the returns diminish greatly compared to the first 80% to 90%.
I have had the diminishing returns conversation with the wife multiple times. She still says buy two more racks of batteries or I may be facing some other form of diminishing returns. The gal likes her solar, yup. I'm gonna hold out and just get one more rack because, well, hell, I'm the boss around here. :rolleyes:

I read through your conversation with Hedges. Thanks. Now I have a headache! :ROFLMAO: Man, you guys get into the weeds on this stuff, but I'm glad you do. Mostly.

I think most of my loss is the clipping, combined with the inherent voltage drop during peak sun and high temps, and we've had plenty of high temps this year. When I run the numbers I should be within the distance range for the 10 awg wire but the longest run is pushing it. The closest string is about 80 ft and the farthest is about 140 ft or a little less. What surprises me is that all four strings produce very close to the same consistently throughout the day. If nothing else this makes me think I don't have a bad connection or crimp somewhere, but it also makes me think the resistance is not causing much of a loss. I could probably do the whole current squared times the amps at noon plus the square root of pi divided by my boot size and come up with something more definitive, but see the aforementioned headache.

The bottom line is even with the clipping and possible loss to resistance it's making more than enough to run everything for now. But I'm going to transition from the 4s2p to 8s as soon as I can because I know that's going to give me a significant boost in production and keep all the wires cooler. Whether that's with some SCCs or different inverters or what, I'm not sure yet, but it's gonna happen.

More on the 18Kpv output. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...nd-18kpv-aka-eg4-18kpv-12lv.61629/post-817112

This reminds me of the 6500EX release. It was the new cool kid on the block. It had been out for awhile before I purchased mine on October 18th last year. It was shortly before that we started seeing members reporting problems, however I was busy installing my array and working long days so I didn't see the warning signs.

More on the 18Kpv output. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...nd-18kpv-aka-eg4-18kpv-12lv.61629/post-817112

This reminds me of the 6500EX release. It was the new cool kid on the block. It had been out for awhile before I purchased mine on October 18th last year. It was shortly before that we started seeing members reporting problems, however I was busy installing my array and working long days so I didn't see the warning signs.
I've been watching. It looks like they may have solved the feeding back to grid issue with a firmware update. We'll see. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything until this fall at the earliest, and maybe next spring. If it's the 18kpv I want to see some more track record. If it's something else - well, I haven't found a something else yet that really gets me fired up. Who knows, it may end up being four of the SCCs. I feel fortunate that I'm in a place where my system works well enough that I can wait.

Back