diy solar

diy solar

I have my system finally working. But when I use a outlet tester to check safety. I get an open ground message.

Nonlin

For context I have the

SPF 3000TL LVM-48P​

I have continuity between the ground port of my outlet and the grounding rod.

But the tester is showing open ground.

Can anyone advise?

Attachments

• rn_image_picker_lib_temp_3a5545ce-fe58-4290-8395-c9ed2ae247e4.jpg
    rn_image_picker_lib_temp_3a5545ce-fe58-4290-8395-c9ed2ae247e4.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Where is your N-G bond?
So that is something I'm confused about.

Talking to Growatt, they said I didn't need to worry about that with my US version of the inverter.
So I don't make any intentional ground-neutral bonds anywhere.

So that is something I'm confused about.

Talking to Growatt, they said I didn't need to worry about that with my US version of the inverter.
So I don't make any intentional ground-neutral bonds anywhere.

So the answer is "the inverter".

When you measure AC voltage between G and L at the inverter, do you get the inverters output voltage?

So the answer is "the inverter".

When you measure AC voltage between G and L at the inverter, do you get the inverters output voltage?
For the AC out I see ~59 volts, If I do G and L.

If I do G and N I see ~61 Volts

if I do L and N I see ~120 volts

For the AC out I see ~59 volts, If I do G and L.

If I do G and N I see ~61 Volts

if I do L and N I see ~120 volts

The inverter is not providing the N-G bond.

This is typically accomplished with a configuration setting or a screw internal to the inverter. The presence of the screw makes the bond. The lack of a screw means the bond is broken.

Additionally, you could make the bond in your AC panel.

The inverter is not providing the N-G bond.

This is typically accomplished with a configuration setting or a screw internal to the inverter. The presence of the screw makes the bond. The lack of a screw means the bond is broken.

Additionally, you could make the bond in your AC panel.
Ok thanks! In a work meeting but once done I'll turn it off, wire the G and N together and then test it again . A simple wire between the N and G in breaker will suffice right?

Can you provide more context as to why this is important and how its more safe to bond the two then to not have it bonded?

Or a resource that may help explain.

and there isn't an issue sharing the same ground as my main panel but both are two different individual sources of AC out.

Last edited:
Ok thanks! In a work meeting but once done I'll turn it off, wire the G and N together and then test it again . A simple wire between the N and G in breaker will suffice right?

Yes. Would use at least 10awg.

Can you provide more context as to why this is important and how its more safe to bond the two then to not have it bonded?

G is what provides your 0V reference. metal cases could be at high voltage and represent a shock hazard.

Or a resource that may help explain.

and there isn't an issue sharing the same ground as my main panel but both are two different individual sources of AC out.

No. Provided the two systems share nothing more than their N and G conductors and are never connected to the same AC source.

Back