diy solar

diy solar

Last check for ground plan of my offgrid system

Good morning Tim, Just a quick question if you don't mind since you are very familiar with the SPF 5000 ES. In which order do I turn things on, AC IN, BATTERY, PV disconnect switch, and when I shutdown th system, PV , BATTERY, AC IN ? Thank you!

Good morning Tim, Just a quick question if you don't mind since you are very familiar with the SPF 5000 ES. In which order do I turn things on, AC IN, BATTERY, PV disconnect switch, and when I shutdown th system, PV , BATTERY, AC IN ? Thank you!
Yes, that's fine.
Sometimes a pre charge resistor is required. So that the inverter capacitors don't overload the BMS inrush limit. If you don't have enough battery capacity.

Yes, that's fine.
Sometimes a pre charge resistor is required. So that the inverter capacitors don't overload the BMS inrush limit. If you don't have enough battery capacity.
Well, I would love to but I can't afford right now buying and shipping to Aruba lithium batteries with BMS. So to get started I plan on buying 4 - 12V 150AH batteries and connecting them in series to feed 48 V to inverter. Thank you for the quick response. Have a great day.

Hello Tim. Somewhere in this thread I forgot where, someone said put the PV disconnect after the combiner box. Well, My 2 cents tell me to put it before. Why? Because if I want to work repair change things in the combiner bos then I just turn of the disconnect switch and I am good to go. Am I missing something here? (By the way you are famous! I was reading comments on YT video and someone said timselectric is great - my to go to guy! I agree! ) Thank you!

Hello Tim. Somewhere in this thread I forgot where, someone said put the PV disconnect after the combiner box. Well, My 2 cents tell me to put it before. Why? Because if I want to work repair change things in the combiner bos then I just turn of the disconnect switch and I am good to go. Am I missing something here? (By the way you are famous! I was reading comments on YT video and someone said timselectric is great - my to go to guy! I agree! ) Thank you!
After the combiner, you only have to break the home runs.
Before the combiner, you have to break each string. (More switches)

And I'm happy to help.

Last edited:
After the combiner, you only have to break the home runs.
Before the combiner, you have to break each string. (More switches)

And I'm happy to help.
Ahhhh! Excellent reason. Thank you. Breaking news. I went shopping around on Black Friday and bought a Growatt 2.5 KWh lithium iron phosphate battery. Super exciting. I don’t have my panels yet BUT I could connect the battery, AC IN to review and set settings, without panels correct? And then it would fully charge the battery using the AC IN. Am I right or just to excited about my solar project? Thank you Tim.

Ahhhh! Excellent reason. Thank you. Breaking news. I went shopping around on Black Friday and bought a Growatt 2.5 KWh lithium iron phosphate battery. Super exciting. I don’t have my panels yet BUT I could connect the battery, AC IN to review and set settings, without panels correct? And then it would fully charge the battery using the AC IN. Am I right or just to excited about my solar project? Thank you Tim.
Yes, that's fine.

Yes, that's fine.
Good morning Sir. Excited and a bit nervous! Today I get the Growatt ARK 2.5L-A1 battery. I will carefully hook it up and turn on my unit for the first time. The official Growatt video rcommend a DC breaker > 80V and 125A, (which we don't have on the island). What we do have is the old fashion fuse. So I plan on using that. Sounds ok to you? My other question is I review all settings in the manual. I plan on changing option 01 to SOL and battery type to LI. Am I missing something. Thank you!

Attachments

• fuse.jpg
    fuse.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 3
What we do have is the old fashion fuse. So I plan on using that. Sounds ok to you?
It's hard to tell in the picture. But it looks like that fuse is only rated for 32v.
That's not going to be safe. If the fuse was to blow, it could catch on fire.
I plan on changing option 01 to SOL
I found that setting to be very annoying. It will switch back and forth several times. In the morning, as the sun rises. And in the evening, as the sun sets.
SBU and SUB are better choices.
and battery type to LI.
This will require communications cable, between the battery and inverter.

It's hard to tell in the picture. But it looks like that fuse is only rated for 32v.

I found that setting to be very annoying. It will switch back and forth several times. In the morning, as the sun rises. And in the evening, as the sun sets.

Thank you Tim. I really appreciate your support. When on setting 5 I changed to LI which automatically brings me to setting 36. it is L01 but I cannot find on the internet what is the correct protocol to set for the Growatt ARK battery. I am using the cable that came with the cables like in a kit. I have it now on SBU. Also setting 2 max charging is 0. Weird. Any idea. Thank you.

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 0
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 0
Thank you Tim. I really appreciate your support. When on setting 5 I changed to LI which automatically brings me to setting 36. it is L01 but I cannot find on the internet what is the correct protocol to set for the Growatt ARK battery. I am using the cable that came with the cables like in a kit. I have it now on SBU. Also setting 2 max charging is 0. Weird. Any idea. Thank you.
Sorry, I have no idea. I don't use BMS communications.
I'm not a fan of letting the BMS (battery management system) be in control of anything but the battery.

By the way Tim I forgot to say the fuse holder pic was just an example off the internet. Sorry.

Sorry, I have no idea. I don't use BMS communications.
I'm not a fan of letting the BMS (battery management system) be in control of anything but the battery.
Wow! Ok so what other type of battery can I choose to use the Growatt ARK 2.5 battery? …safely of course …Thank you

Last edited:
Wow! Ok so what other type of battery can I choose to use the Growatt ARK 2.5 battery? …safely of course …Thank you
Setting #5 to "USE" let's you set your own parameters. (19, 20, and 21)
I would start with the battery manufacturers recommendations. And you can tweak it later as you gain knowledge about your system.

Setting #5 to "USE" let's you set your own parameters. (19, 20, and 21)
I would start with the battery manufacturers recommendations. And you can tweak it later as you gain knowledge about your system.
ok sounds good. But the manufactur is Growatt. Growatt China. They told me to contact service@ginverter.com
I sent them a technical question a week ago and I have not heard back....You are my only line of support and I appreciate that a lot!

Tim I do not know what to put in 19,20,21. I have attached the specs of the battery. If it is not too much trouble can you please look at the specs and suggest safe values for 19,20,21 to start? I hope that makes the red alarm light go green. Thank you.

Attachments

• ARK-LV-Battery-System-user-manual.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
ok sounds good. But the manufactur is Growatt. Growatt China. They told me to contact service@ginverter.com
I sent them a technical question a week ago and I have not heard back....You are my only line of support and I appreciate that a lot!

Tim I do not know what to put in 19,20,21. I have attached the specs of the battery. If it is not too much trouble can you please look at the specs and suggest safe values for 19,20,21 to start? I hope that makes the red alarm light go green. Thank you.
I would start with these settings.
#19 - 56.4
#20 - 55.2
#21 - 48

Depending on how many batteries you have.
#2 -
25 for one battery.
50 for two batteries.
And so on........

Ok
Then set #2 for 25a maximum charging.
That's all that is allowed by the manufacturer.

You will probably be wanting more battery capacity, soon.
Good morning Tim. I applied those settings and the charge started! I was soooo happy. But then 15 minutes later it stopped. I have 3 greens and 1 red alarm light on the Growatt battery. Don’t know what to do.

Attachments

• 56FFF008-751C-4699-9D0F-523B84C0ACD7.jpeg
    56FFF008-751C-4699-9D0F-523B84C0ACD7.jpeg
    485.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4475.jpeg
    IMG_4475.jpeg
    921.3 KB · Views: 2
Back