diy solar

diy solar

Last check for ground plan of my offgrid system

Good morning Tim. I applied those settings and the charge started! I was soooo happy. But then 15 minutes later it stopped. I have 3 greens and 1 red alarm light on the Growatt battery. Don’t know what to do.
Stopped?
The screen is showing charging, in the second picture.

Stopped?
The screen is showing charging, in the second picture.
sorry i posted a pic while charging I did not think of putting a pic of when it stopped. I don't know if you have a ARK 2.5 Growatt battery or not but what is weird to me is with the battery disconnected from everything, I turn the battery on, I get a green light at the top with 3 blue, then the top green light turns to flashing red. If it helps I will charge again and send a pic of display screen when it stops. Thank you.

Attachments

• bat.jpg
    bat.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 1
I don't.

That's indicating an alarm situation.
Several things can cause an alarm.
Do you have a way to access the BMS information?
The Growatt manual says it is an alert or warning.....pretty vague. I wish I have access to BMS. I am an IT guy so I can manage what ever I need to do here. I noticed that the BMS cable is wired exactly like a network cable. So suppose I plug one end to the battery and the other end to my laptop. Which software can I download to see BMS data? That would definitely help identifying if I got a bad battery. I just upgraded the firmware via USB stick, went well but same issue, flashing red. Thank you.

It would have to come from Growatt.
I'm not sure. I don't have that battery. Or know anyone who does.
ok thank you Tim, I don`t want to waste your time on this. I will call the store Monday. 5 years warranty. Thank you for all the help. You helped me to get very far in my project. I`ll update the thread Monday. Maybe the answer from the solar store will help other members. Have a great weekend.

You're not wasting my time.
I'm always happy to help.
Once you have access to the BMS information. We can see what is causing the alarm.
It's also possible that the alarm may clear itself. After a few cycles of the battery.

You're not wasting my time.
I'm always happy to help.
Once you have access to the BMS information. We can see what is causing the alarm.
It's also possible that the alarm may clear itself. After a few cycles of the battery.
Thank you Tim. The store will send a technician with a new battery on Monday. Here are 2 things that may help. Should I upgrade firmware?
see pic for my current version. Also, I tried this : No AC input I turn on battery. Green light and 3 blues (approx 75% charged). I connected a 12,000 BTU on the load side. I turn on the inverter, so far so good. green light on battery, no error. I turn on the AC. the temp of the inverter went from 22c to 33. Not sure if an issue. I can hear the fan though. I took pics amlost every minute. Here is a picture about 30 seconds before the inverter completely shuts down and now the battery alarm light is flashing red. I am trying to determine if it is the inverter, or the battery. With 75% charge and voltage around 51 volts I should have been able to run the AC at 700 watts per hour for at least 1 hour right? My setting #21 is 48. I am ready to test/try anything you can think of. I just wish I can read the brain of the battery! Thank you.

Attachments

• BEFORE SHUTDOWN.jpg
    BEFORE SHUTDOWN.jpg
    1,019.2 KB · Views: 1
  • GROWATT CURRENT VERSION.jpg
    GROWATT CURRENT VERSION.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
I have never updated the firmware on any of mine.
Sometimes updates go wrong.
"If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it"
If it shuts down and the battery has an alarm. The battery is shutting it down.
It could be that you are trying to pull too much from the battery.
It is a small battery.
I know that you are not trying to run the full output of the inverter. But a 150a minimum battery is recommended.
I would wait for the technician and see what they say.

I have never updated the firmware on any of mine.
Sometimes updates go wrong.
"If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it"
If it shuts down and the battery has an alarm. The battery is shutting it down.
It could be that you are trying to pull too much from the battery.
It is a small battery.
I know that you are not trying to run the full output of the inverter. But a 150a minimum battery is recommended.
I would wait for the technician and see what they say.
It’s a 2.5 KWh battery. 2500 watts/51 volts is approx 50 amp. Good point

It’s a 2.5 KWh battery. 2500 watts/51 volts is approx 50 amp. Good point
But since the unit could work battery less I am now running the AC with bypass mode. The battery is disconnected completely by a DC on off switch we will see. If no shutdown in an hour then it’s battery related. I agree on if ain’t broken don’t fix it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 1
If you allow charging from grid. You could fully charge the battery. It may just need a good top balance.

If you allow charging from grid. You could fully charge the battery. It may just need a good top balance.
So far so good without battery. Yes I tried that but alarm light goes flashing red after 15 min and I never get more that 3 blue lights. Good news is I now have a very cold office! Lol?

So far so good without battery. Yes I tried that but alarm light goes flashing red after 15 min and I never get more that 3 blue lights. Good news is I now have a very cold office! Lol?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
You might be right. If the AC is pulling 800 watts at 51 volts. That is 40 amp on a 50 amp battery. Hummmm probably need 2.
Except even without a load. The battery light turns red when I turn on inverter error 04 and 20. BMS error and low voltage. But low voltage error might be because of the BMS error. Ok I’ll wait til Monday. Thank you

OMG! I FIXED IT !!!!!!!! After reading and watching a ton of YT videos I found that the Growatt documentation is wrong. When you select LI for lithium you have to select 51 for the protocol in setting 36 for a Growatt ARK 2.5 KWh battery. NOT 005 like in the documentation. Check out those pics!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4506.jpeg
    IMG_4506.jpeg
    845 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4505.png
    IMG_4505.png
    276.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4502.jpeg
    IMG_4502.jpeg
    912.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4501.jpeg
    IMG_4501.jpeg
    460.9 KB · Views: 3
OMG! I FIXED IT !!!!!!!! After reading and watching a ton of YT videos I found that the Growatt documentation is wrong. When you select LI for lithium you have to select 51 for the protocol in setting 36 for a Growatt ARK 2.5 KWh battery. NOT 005 like in the documentation. Check out those pics!!!!!!
Running the 12,000 BTU AC worked too! Many many thanks to everyone in this forum that helped. Anxiously waiting now for my panels arriving mid December.

Back