diy solar

diy solar

I have some dumb questions about circuit breakers and saftey

Geez that looks like 7 series?
It is.
I was showing that using the "leap frog" wiring method would allow you to have + and - end at the same spot.
It could be applied to any string size from 3s to 300000000s as long as the mppt and panels supported the total voc.

It was incredibly convenient not having to run any extension cables back to the other end to grab the - / + in the normal daisy chain series configuration.

Attachments

• IMG_20221015_180913.jpg
    IMG_20221015_180913.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 4
And the 2s3p on ground get sun from about 10 to 6pm. Same with the other 2s3p.
Actually 2S3P is necessary if combining with 2 other 2S2P strings. The 6 2S strings should have 15A fuses:

If you have plenty of morning and evening power you could do 3S E, 3S2P SE, 3S2P SW, 3S W (2 extra panels).

Alternatively, you could maximize morning and evening: 3S2P E, 3S SE, 3S SW, 3S2P W (or these 4 strings in any order).

Combining 4 strings into 6P is alsomte 60A so a 80A or 100A main combiner box works. I would see if a 6 string box with a bigger main for future expansion is just a little more.
Im able to make 1.9kw while my load is 1.5kw to 1.7kw from 10 or 11am till 5pm currently
I wonder what you losses were from your wiring. It may have been hundreds of watts to heat dozens of connectors and a lot of wire. You may have had 20% wiring loss.

It is.
I was showing that using the "leap frog" wiring method would allow you to have + and - end at the same spot.
It could be applied to any string size from 3s to 300000000s as long as the mppt and panels supported the total voc.

It was incredibly convenient not having to run any extension cables back to the other end to grab the - / + in the normal daisy chain series configuration.
Oh i see. That makes sense. So i can do that w 6 panels in a row?

Actually 2S3P is necessary if combining with 2 other 2S2P strings. The 6 2S strings should have 15A fuses:

If you have plenty of morning and evening power you could do 3S E, 3S2P SE, 3S2P SW, 3S W (2 extra panels).

Alternatively, you could maximize morning and evening: 3S2P E, 3S SE, 3S SW, 3S2P W (or these 4 strings in any order).

Combining 4 strings into 6P is alsomte 60A so a 80A or 100A main combiner box works. I would see if a 6 string box with a bigger main for future expansion is just a little more.

I wonder what you losses were from your wiring. It may have been hundreds of watts to heat dozens of connectors and a lot of wire. You may have had 20% wiring loss.
This was at the final y branch
My biggest problem is getting the panels in a place i can use them. I would need to remove a panel from the spots where the 2s2p are. Theres not room to add 2 more panels to either one. If steel wasnt so expensive i would weld up an array holder . Im on a real shoe string till i find work also. But i cant leave this crap running our ac while im at work and expect my wife to know what to do

Attachments

• 20230724_150447.jpg
    20230724_150447.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230724_150445.jpg
    20230724_150445.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 4
I think he's maxed out the 2424.
What's the term, clipping?

If I'm reading the specs correctly anything over three parallel strings of 3s (9 total panels) would max it out with 240w panels.
I'd run 3s E, 3s2p S and 3s W or 3s E, 3s S and 3s2p W to the LV2424.

Edit - yes, it is definitely way to much current for the current wiring...

You are limited to 3S so only 3 in a row like that. Then use Y connectors with 3 more like that to make 3S2P.

You need to figure out your array voltage and make all 4 of your strings the same voltage.
Yes i understand the voltage. I took the one group of 2s3p and put it on it's own 40amp tracer 4210an charge controller.
That leaves 14 panels to mess with. I can remove one panel from each of the 4 and that will work. Or i can use another cc for those

You are limited to 3S so only 3 in a row like that. Then use Y connectors with 3 more like that to make 3S2P.

You need to figure out your array voltage and make all 4 of your strings the same voltage.
Yes.
Just to expand, you could run 6 in a row as long as they were 3s2p.
1 2 3 4 5 6
S1P1 S2P1 S3P1 S1P2 S2P2 S3P2

I hope that makes sense.

Yes.
Just to expand, you could run 6 in a row as long as they were 3s2p.
1 2 3 4 5 6
S1P1 S2P1 S3P1 S1P2 S2P2 S3P2

I hope that makes sense.
I remember why now. I forgot 10 of these panels are gloria 235w panels and the rest are santan 240 trinas

I guess ill put everything on its own charge controller. And separate run. So the most on anything will be 2s3p @8.37 isc = 25.11a for worst case scenario. The 2s2p will be 16.74a so maybe this works.

I meant to ask/comment yesterday about laying your AIO flat. Does the manual recommend (require?) mounting vertically for air flow? If you are pushing it to its limits with over panelling, it will need all the cooling you can offer (vertical with clear space above and below).

I meant to ask/comment yesterday about laying your AIO flat. Does the manual recommend (require?) mounting vertically for air flow? If you are pushing it to its limits with over panelling, it will need all the cooling you can offer (vertical with clear space above and below).
Im not sure. Ill look and see. Today I have some of the panels on a separate MPPT which is doing close to 30 of the 40amps. Im thinking of adding another one as well
Edit
The unit exhaust fans blow downward

Today I have some of the panels on a separate MPPT which is doing close to 30 of the 40amps. I
Make sure you do not exceed the max charge amps of your battery. If the BMS gets overcurrent and cuts the battery, all your SCCs with a lot of PV coming in might not be very accepting. What happens exactly is highly debated but all SCC makers say no PV if no battery connected first and disconnected last..

Make sure you do not exceed the max charge amps of your battery. If the BMS gets overcurrent and cuts the battery, all your SCCs with a lot of PV coming in might not be very accepting. What happens exactly is highly debated but all SCC makers say no PV if no battery connected first and disconnected last..
Im not using the lithium battery yet. Dont want to make any mistakes with it.
So i looked in the manual and couldnt find info saying anything about flat mount vs vertical. The fans definitely blow out from bottom which seems like most of the others do also.
The array suggested is 2s4p in here20230725_130442.jpg

None of your wiring can handle more than 3p, and even then you need fuses for the 3 parallel strings.

How/why does it recommend 2S4P. That seems odd, especially with you panels and 145Voc SCC input limit.
Yeah i found it odd also. You would need 4ga or 6ga pv wire? Is there such thing? Ive seen 8 and 10 and 12

Its not just the wire, its all the connectors and wires, even the ones on the panels. 4P just not workable at all.

I'd like to see where it says 3S for a 37Voc panel not workable.
Looks like they recommend 6ga pv wire. And the 30-115v voc

Attachments

• 20230725_134408.jpg
    20230725_134408.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 3
Back