diy solar

diy solar

I think I want to do something which is probably foolish ;-)

mikecogs

I am getting solar panels installed and I want to add battery by myself. It would be pretty straightforward if I were to buy a setup from signaturesolar or bigbattery or some other place like that (if they ever get more stock). However I am considering maybe building a system myself using the EVE cells from AliExpress which Will has on his site with the 48V Overkill BMS. I would build two 48V banks of about 14.3 kWh each (3.2*16*280=14,336) , and connect them in parallel to my Sol-Ark inverter. I estimate about $6000 for the 32 cells and the two Overkill BMS units plus a bit for other wires, bolts, etc. I would also need a housing which I have not figured out yet. I am new to all this though I have a 20+ year background in IT and am generally knowledgeable in this stuff. I have never done anything like this before. How bad of an idea is it for me to attempt this? What am I missing?

I am getting solar panels installed and I want to add battery by myself. It would be pretty straightforward if I were to buy a setup from signaturesolar or bigbattery or some other place like that (if they ever get more stock). However I am considering maybe building a system myself using the EVE cells from AliExpress which Will has on his site with the 48V Overkill BMS. I would build two 48V banks of about 14.3 kWh each (3.2*16*280=14,336) , and connect them in parallel to my Sol-Ark inverter. I estimate about $6000 for the 32 cells and the two Overkill BMS units plus a bit for other wires, bolts, etc. I would also need a housing which I have not figured out yet. I am new to all this though I have a 20+ year background in IT and am generally knowledgeable in this stuff. I have never done anything like this before. How bad of an idea is it for me to attempt this? What am I missing?

The number one question, what will you do with the batteries once you build them?

Does the Sol-Ark have a battery input? Where will it be located? Is there adequate space nearby to physically hold that many cells, and what sort of temperature/humidity will they experience? If it is inside your house, a smoke detector, and fireproof box might be a good idea. That is a LOT of energy in a small space, one shorted cell or busbar and it all gets released in a short time period.

In general, it's a good idea, certainly worth investigating.

I estimate about $6000 for the 32 cells

Hi, thanks for the info. Another question I have is about customs duty/import taxes/tariffs? Any idea how much extra I would be paying for these?
Are you asking about this?
>>
I was contacted by SHENZHEN STARMAX ENERGY TECHNOLOGY COMPANY LTD and offered 32 280aH New Grade batteries .. delivered .. door to door for $2948.
>>
You could ask in that thread about whether it eventually turned out as stated. (sorry i did not read the thread completely). But ghostwriter66 has been a leading contributor and trailblazer on buying cells from China.

Back