diy solar

diy solar

I Want to Know Why...?

Just a semi random thought.
Being "civil and having civility" in an open forum is important an sometimes that means keeping things calm... We all know the poisons like Politics, Race, Religion and so on can go toxic instantly and ruin a good "community". And I think everyone has covered the other stuff fairly well...

Regarding Will and his efforts, I applaud him for doing what he is doing and his passion for it, it's easy to see he likes doing this. He isn't waking up in the morning, looking in the mirror going, Ohhh crap, another damned day at the office, crap I hate this friggin job... He's spending a lot of hours doing teardowns, his video's, administering this forum and maintaining the website +. He's also doing "work" consulting etc... AND now he's also spending his monies on equipment and tearing it apart. I see no problem with him benefitting by getting some funds from the affiliate links, his book and various other sundries. I support him & this site for doing so in my own way because it's helping other's gain some freedom & independence by sharing what we have learned with everyone freely.

ENTHUSIASM!
Will has Enthusiasm for the subject.
He's not a particular 'Fan Boy' or product/brand shill.

If he makes money from HIS efforts, he did the work taking things apart, putting things together, making and editing the videos, etc.
That's HIS work product, he didn't beg money to do those things, and most people have NO IDEA how time consuming (and frustrating) all that is...

As for the forum,
Again, a TON of headaches, from copyrights to domain registration/placement/redirection,
OR,
You PAY someone/some company to do that for your.
Then there is server space... Again not cheap.
And the forum software is CO$TLY, and maintaining/operating it a full time job in itself...

Lastly, you pay for every other kind of entertainment, education...
From 'How To' articles in books, text books, internet connections, sitting through commercials, suffering though endless crackpots & cranks looking for something specific, etc.

*IF* you CHOOSE to buy a book, or throw a few bucks (cheese burger money) at the site, that's ENTIRELY a personal choice and none of anyone else's business...
After the IRS & my wife, NO ONE gets a say in how I spend my pocket change.

AND, we get back around to Will and what he's done,
It's a CRAP TON of work, as in work product, he deserves SOMETHING for it, even if it's recognition of how much time/energy he put into it!
(But cheeseburger money would be better... Young men go through a lot of cheeseburgers! ;) )

Since you brought the subject up, I have never questioned Will's motives for creating this site or anything else. I am very grateful for him and the forum, the information I have learned, and for many of the people here. I think he has every right to profit from what he does too. (I used to make videos, research, edit, etc.) I know how much work goes in, and Will SHOULD profit from his efforts/materials/time, etc. I do not believe he is being less than honest in his reviews either. He's not out e-begging. HE created his business, and for that, I am proud of him and I support him. Just my two cents on the subject...

I do not think Will started this site to make money AT ALL. Most sites make money through advertisers, and he has made this site with NO ads...makes it much nicer for the users. Some other sites it's a full time job Xing out all the pop up ads that keep appearing as you're trying to use the site.

diy solar

diy solar
Back