diy solar

diy solar

I'm DONE with MPP Solar

Haaa… living far out in the country I have noticed a common event … city folks move out here to get away from the restrictions and confines of being close to the city…
First thing they do is inform Chris Farley he can not live in his van DOWN BY THE RIVER….THEN run chop down all the trees, THEN try to gather support to start a POA,…. bitch and moan if one ever shoots their guns or try’s to practice…. ( scares their poodle)…. and put up fancy sandblasted signs listing the things you can’t do anymore…oh yea ...And call the cops if they see a bear somewhere out in the woods.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye….DH.
J.
I know, I hate those people. If you can pee outdoors or shoot your guns then what's the point.

• Haha
Reactions: JRH
I know, I hate those people. If you can pee outdoors or shoot your guns then what's the point.
Haaaa fortunately I can , but I’m lucky .not everyone is…., them rascals are creepin up on everyone around here…quickly ..
they ruin where they live .. so they pack up and come to your place because it’s free easy livin , then want to put in place all the rules and ideas that ruined their place so they can ruin yer place now.
I miss the 70s…and eighty’s….haaa

Haaaa fortunately I can , but I’m lucky .not everyone is…., them rascals are creepin up on everyone around here…quickly ..
they ruin where they live .. so they pack up and come to your place because it’s free easy livin , then want to put in place all the rules and ideas that ruined their place so they can ruin yer place now.
I miss the 70s…and eighty’s….haaa
They only last one winter here in NE IA, then move to somewhere warmer.

It is cheap to live here. I buy beef from the same fella every year, he takes it to the local locker for me and I just paid $2.90/lb hanging on the rail (beef is high right now) and it cost about $1.25/lb for butchering and processing. Just had a ribeye for lunch, melted in my mouth. Life is good. That ribeye would have been over $10/lb in the store here and I can tell you it won't be the same quality.

I belonged to an industry forum for years and tried to catch a good employee off there that actually knew something. Told them back then they could purchase a home here for one year's earnings. They didn't believe it so wouldn't apply. Hunting is good here, pheasants are on the rise again, just across the highway I hear them all day. Turkey, coyote, whitetails, fox if that's you're thing. Mississippi River is 90 miles away, good fishing and recreation. No zoning in this county. No building permits, if you want to build something, then build it. Everyone ignores the electrical inspector who lives less than 5 miles from me. Groomed snowmobile trails if we get good snow, OHV trails are all the gravel roads and country roads. No one cares what you do unless it bothers them. Still, I couldn't get anyone to move and work here.

Small towns, everyone knows your business. Winter can be harsh if you don't adapt and learn to accept it and make it enjoyable. I've seen quite a few people come here, pay big money for a house in the summer. After the first winter the place is for sale. Sometimes you get some drug related murder happen (last year, very strange) next door and they move. I lived in that town for 22 years and now live close for the next 13 years and never once was there ever a murder in town. Accused is from Chicago and moved here with subsidized housing (landlord is scum).

Back in the 80's, they tore down many houses and there weren't any new ones built in that time. Taxes were too high and you couldn't sell a house for $15K. Now you see new houses going up but local folks building them. Hopefully we don't see an influx of people with big city ideas.

The best thing about living in the countryside is the long distance to your neighbors...
I would like to have the space Lewis and Clark had… anything less than that is a compromise…
But what can ya do.?

Last edited:
I would like to have the space Lewis and Clark had… anything less than that is a compromise…
But can ya do.?
Yeah, I really enjoyed the show Yellowstone, where the wide open spaces are your home, and the train station is available if needed.

Reactions: JRH
The best thing about living in the countryside is the long distance to your neighbors...
I live in the country but neighbor's house is about 200 feet from mine. He was here first, but we get along. Across the road is another neighbor but he sits far back near the rear of about 3 to 4 acres.

I have 4 acres, would prefer 10 to 40. Shop sits up high and I look down on the neighboring town. I waited for this place to come up for sale, I knew the prior owner, was friends with him and he never made his payments on time; beer and Copenhagen always were more important. He was a native Texan, he and his 2 brothers were told to leave Texas and not come back. He lived here 12 years, still owed as much as he paid for the place and didn't have electricity/running water most of the 12 years. He poached deer and turkeys in the yard at night for something to eat. We always figure it was suicide in the end, he was in the middle of foreclosure when he decided to take a nap with a radiant heater running in the living room on a 100 lb LP cylinder. Never woke up. It's on a highway so no dust. Paid $32,010 for it on the sheriff's sale. I already had the deal worked out with the bank but someone was asking to many questions about the sheriff's sale and they did show up to it but didn't have the minimum letter of credit. As I was already there, I just bid 10 bucks more than the bank and sheriff handed me the deed. There were about 15 liens on the place, that's why it went thru the sheriffs sale. I've put some serious sweat equity in the place, tore down all buildings except the house and one small shed. Built all new ones, most of the work by myself and wife plus son and daughter.

I thought about semi retiring and put the place up for sale for $1.2mil, but someone would come along and buy it and I wouldn't have anywhere for my "stuff" even though I still own my old shop building in a town 4 miles away plus another cold storage shed and a mini storage.

My view will change when I finish cutting down the 26 ash trees. I'm way happier here than living in town for 22 years. I can shoot a pistol in the back yard or clays. Neighbor's dog comes over for a visit then goes home and best part I don't have to feed him or take of him. Life can be good.

I could always move back to the home farm when my parents are gone. Land won't be sold and have no idea what we will do with the building site. They just finished having new barn steel put on every building, looks sharp. My mother decided to finally spend her social security checks she started collecting 20 years ago. She is 82 this past May.

I live in the country but neighbor's house is about 200 feet from mine. He was here first, but we get along. Across the road is another neighbor but he sits far back near the rear of about 3 to 4 acres.

I have 4 acres, would prefer 10 to 40. Shop sits up high and I look down on the neighboring town. I waited for this place to come up for sale, I knew the prior owner, was friends with him and he never made his payments on time; beer and Copenhagen always were more important. He was a native Texan, he and his 2 brothers were told to leave Texas and not come back. He lived here 12 years, still owed as much as he paid for the place and didn't have electricity/running water most of the 12 years. He poached deer and turkeys in the yard at night for something to eat. We always figure it was suicide in the end, he was in the middle of foreclosure when he decided to take a nap with a radiant heater running in the living room on a 100 lb LP cylinder. Never woke up. It's on a highway so no dust. Paid $32,010 for it on the sheriff's sale. I already had the deal worked out with the bank but someone was asking to many questions about the sheriff's sale and they did show up to it but didn't have the minimum letter of credit. As I was already there, I just bid 10 bucks more than the bank and sheriff handed me the deed. There were about 15 liens on the place, that's why it went thru the sheriffs sale. I've put some serious sweat equity in the place, tore down all buildings except the house and one small shed. Built all new ones, most of the work by myself and wife plus son and daughter.

I thought about semi retiring and put the place up for sale for $1.2mil, but someone would come along and buy it and I wouldn't have anywhere for my "stuff" even though I still own my old shop building in a town 4 miles away plus another cold storage shed and a mini storage.

My view will change when I finish cutting down the 26 ash trees. I'm way happier here than living in town for 22 years. I can shoot a pistol in the back yard or clays. Neighbor's dog comes over for a visit then goes home and best part I don't have to feed him or take of him. Life can be good.

I could always move back to the home farm when my parents are gone. Land won't be sold and have no idea what we will do with the building site. They just finished having new barn steel put on every building, looks sharp. My mother decided to finally spend her social security checks she started collecting 20 years ago. She is 82 this past May.
Interesting story! Too bad for the original owner, but glad your keeping the place up. Still, $32k for 4 acres is a great price. I have only 3 acres, but it cost me over $600,000, and everything in the place was broken or needed replacing. I spend all my monthly social security to keep fixing it and keep the lights on. Thanks to this forum though, my monthly electric bill is only $11. (My NY house monthly bill was over $400 for gas and electric, and real estate taxes were $14,000 and rising). So happy to get the hell out of NY to a conservative state.

I've had no problems; until today.
One of my units decided it wouldn't recognize the solar panels. Shows 0V and 0A input power, but I measured around 80 volts at the unit's input.
Not looking forward to laboriously checking all the panel connections in the morning, but I'm hoping for an easy fix.
This happened to my LVX6048WP... array voltage present at inverter input terminals... Inverter doesn't register input. Did you ever resolve?

Back