diy solar

diy solar

I'm new here.

I’m glad you are getting good feedback. I would suggest that there is a lot wrong with your approach. My advice would be to stop buying stuff. Learn what a watt is and how it relates to volts and amps. Lots of resources out there.

You can analyze a lot of this subject if you understand watts.

And your battery is like a cup of water. You fill it with electricity, then use it, then fill it again. And add water carefully and in accordance with the manufacturers instructions. Based on water level. And remember it’s full of acid. Never discharge past 50 percent. Never let the lead plates see air.

Given what you have said, you are probably going to kill that first battery early. Many people do this with lead acid through over discharge and improper maintenance.

A pause, learn about the cheapish LiFePO4 batteries, learn why 48 volt is probably better for you, and learn why you should not mix panels with different specs without being careful.

Hot plates and dryers are the last things I would run with a solar system and battery. Too many watts. But there a re a couple of dozen other things that solar works great for (led lights, phones, computers, small fans, cordless tools, etc.

All the best.

Perhaps unwanted advice but reading through this Thread I am alarmed at someone experimenting with electrical generation and distribution without basic knowledge. Once you get past simple 12vDC battery powered items, using a minimal wattage solar panel, and are trying to power household AC large wattage items from progressively larger solar arrays you really need to know a fair amount of what you are doing.

My suggestion to the OP is to stop what he is doing until he can gain basic electrical theory and fundamental safety practices. He has infants in his household and he should not be doing things that can lead to fires or electrical shock hazards.

Solar Generators (SoGen's) are not just for camping, although you can find many models that are compact & suitable for taking on camping trips.

Think more along the lines of the SoGen on a hand-truck, and you'll start to see why the form factor doesn't matter ... the hand-truck version is just a way to hang house gear off of a hand-truck, vs hanging on your wall or sitting on a table or floor.

The form factor (of a hand-truck version) is ALSO suitable to take camping, whereas once you mount gear on the wall, it is less portable ... also, it's a learning exercise, and many have used it to get into solar.

Hope this helps ...

My wife and I have 3 kids, all under the age of 10. Camping isn't on our list for the next few years.

Beg to differ, that is just the kind of experience they should have from early childhood on.
I was learning to ski starting at age 3. Don't remember when we started camping, but it was young.
And it could be that by 13 they won't be willing to follow you around doing such things.

We have tent, which we inherited from a passes relative, which has been in the attic for almost a decade, since we've received it. We're considering pulling it out this summer, to see if the boys are ready for it, the odd Friday or Saturday night.
But...that's another story for another time.

I'd say starting right now, camping in the yard. Various gear for the weather, which won't always be perfect even in summer.
Then they could be eager to try it in the woods.

Beg to differ, that is just the kind of experience they should have from early childhood on.
I was learning to ski starting at age 3. Don't remember when we started camping, but it was young.
And it could be that by 13 they won't be willing to follow you around doing such things.

I'd say starting right now, camping in the yard. Various gear for the weather, which won't always be perfect even in summer.
I agree, if camping is in the plans at all, early is better than teen years… kids have little use for us after teen years, they know it all and have their own priorities.
You will be sad if they move on and miss the chance at camping.

(We don't all have thousands of dollars to throw at hobby projects like these...so sometimes building these things is slow).
Gotta love those WallyWorld batteries, they're CHEAP! ? I totally get it, I have been doing the same thing over the years, granted I started my journey before Will started his channel so a LOT more spent in "Tuition" for me. I'm still a huge fan of learning from hands on.

Funny enough, and I just had to throw this in here, I used to be "The Threat" to my nephews...

"You better realize how good you've got it or I'll send you out camping with Uncle Rednecktek!"

"Here's 2 tarps, a knife, a roll of twine, and some duct tape. Let's go."

Neither of the boys acted too entitled much after their first time pushing my brother too far. ? :unsure:

Hello solar community.

I've got a neighbor who's a mechanic.
He upgraded his standard vehicle battery and has this smaller battery sitting around for a couple weeks.

I asked him about it and he literally gave it to me on the spot.
He said he was wondering how he was going to get rid of it.

It appears to be a flooded battery (you can hear the water swishing around inside.
I took the advice of this community and kept the 3x 230watt panels together, detaching the single 100watt panel from them.
The 100 watt panel went on the roof of the shed, with the PWM controller.
I was hoping to charge batteries for power tools and maybe plug in the odd wired power tool.

This shed setup wouldn't be used often, as the 690 watt system is used often.

I plugged the car battery into the 100 watt setup.
It turned the PWM controller screen on.
We're expecting some sunny days...so I was planning on watching it charge, slowly.
There's no clear information on the battery as to how many amp hours etc the battery can do.

Please note; I know the wiring isn't the standard clamp / nut&bolt set up. I just wanted to see if it'd work/turn on.

Based on the feedback I get on this question, I would get the proper connection cables/clamps.

My question is,
Can I use a standard (flooded?) Car battery for solar?
I'm getting mixed messages from Google searches.

Adding to this.
My mechanic neighbor says he has 3 or 4 more batteries like this.
Can I add standard car batteries to my deep cycle battery solar set up?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Attachments

• IMG_20230521_205833190.jpg
    IMG_20230521_205833190.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 13
Yes you can use a starter battery from a vehicle. It will not be ideal in terms of longevity nor available power. However if all you are doing is experimenting and you get the FLA (flooded lead acid) for near nothing than it is a inexpensive intro to PV.

Now is the time to learn the various categories of batteries and their ratings. To learn proper charging and discharging. To understand, Watts=Volts X Amps.

Can I use a standard (flooded?) Car battery for solar?
Yes you can, it doesn't hold up well under continuous load but Free > Cheap so it's still a win. If you get more you'll probably need more panels eventually to get above a trickle charge but you can play with that later.

Car batteries are designed to give up ALL THE AMPS RIGHT NOW BWAAAHHH!!!

Deep cycle are more designed to giveyoualltheampsyouneedovertimetocontinuouslypoweraslowdrawoverlongperiodsoftiiiiiiiiiimmmmeeeee.

For a play/learner system, go for it. It's not like it's costing you anything.

Please note; I know the wiring isn't the standard clamp / nut&bolt set up. I just wanted to see if it'd work/turn on.

Understood. Worth noting:
  1. The contact is very poor in this case, so behavior will not be indicative of actual performance.
  2. The terminals (maybe even the wires) are substantially oxidized. You should clean the terminals with sandpaper or a dedicated tool like this.

Hello solar community.

I thank you for your feedback.
I'll be investing in proper cables for the new "car starter" battery.

This morning, just before the sun came up, the PWM controller displayed 12.5v.
By lunch time, with a beautifully sunny day in south Ontario, Canada, the controller displayed numbers in the high 13's.
I wasn't expecting it to charge that fast with a single 100watt panel.
I'll get the proper clamps etc +, I'm looking into a 700watt inverter, for power tools + power tool batteries.

just as I finished with that "test" and received your feedback, a different friend of mine, who is a contractor, acquired this "interstate dual purpose" battery: HD24-DP. I understand that "model number" implies it's a 24v battery?

He get neat things / "waste materials" from rich people, which can easily be repurposed/reused.
He has offered it to me to play with.

My main battery is 12v
My inverter is 12v

My question is, can I plug this interstate 24v battery in parallel or series, with my 12v battery to add to my battery bank?

If not...I'm prepared to make another set up (a 24v inverter) with it, specifically for the dryer.

Once again, I thank this community for its quality feedback. I've never been punched down, belittled or demeaned with your responses.

I'm learning a lot and you've been a wealth of information and patience.

Attachments

• HD24-DP_FRONT.png
    HD24-DP_FRONT.png
    282.5 KB · Views: 3
This morning, just before the sun came up, the PWM controller displayed 12.5v.
By lunch time, with a beautifully sunny day in south Ontario, Canada, the controller displayed numbers in the high 13's.
I wasn't expecting it to charge that fast with a single 100watt panel.
I'll get the proper clamps etc +, I'm looking into a 700watt inverter, for power tools + power tool batteries.

A 100W panel is likely about right for that battery. You want to charge at around 10% capacity.

just as I finished with that "test" and received your feedback, a different friend of mine, who is a contractor, acquired this "interstate dual purpose" battery: HD24-DP. I understand that "model number" implies it's a 24v battery?

No. It's group size 24. I have a that brand and an older model of the same battery in a 5th wheel trailer. Been running for years, but it's only floating.

My question is, can I plug this interstate 24v 12V attery in parallel or series, with my 12v battery to add to my battery bank?

It is 12V, so yes, you can parallel it. If it were 24V, you couldn't use it.

If not...I'm prepared to make another set up (a 24v inverter) with it, specifically for the dryer.

Once again, I thank this community for its quality feedback. I've never felt punched down, belittled or demeaned with your responses.

Do not taunt the forum. :p

sunshine_eggo

Thank you for your quick response.

So, this thing is 12v?
Ok.
I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping to start planning to gather the gear needed to it up to power the dryer.
But...having another 12v battery means I can begin adding to the battery bank...so that helps.

I appreciate the feedback.

sunshine_eggo

Thank you for your quick response.

So, this thing is 12v?

Yes. The dead giveaway is that there are only six cells - 3 under each cap. 2V/cell, 6 cells = 12V.

Ok.
I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping to start planning to gather the gear needed to it up to power the dryer.
But...having another 12v battery means I can begin adding to the battery bank...so that helps.

24V requires far more care if constructing from 12V. You would NOT want to put those two batteries in series for 24V except for experimentation. It would not be reliable for regular use. When you put batteries in series, they need to be as identical as possible.

It appears to be a flooded battery (you can hear the water swishing around inside.
I took the advice of this community and kept the 3x 230watt panels together, detaching the single 100watt panel from them.
The 100 watt panel went on the roof of the shed, with the PWM controller.

What Vmp and Voc does the panel label say?
Your car battery is 12V, so for PWM SCC, PV panels should be in the 15V to 22V range.

If your panels are in the 30V to 45V range, the excess voltage might be too much for PWM SCC, and you're losing half the available power. An MPPT charge controller would capture more. (not a tiny lightweight SCC that has "MPPT" printed on it and has USB ports. MPPT weighs a bit, and accepts 100V or higher PV input.)

Do not taunt Tempt the forum. :p

beaten-clipart-9.jpg

Solar project update.

I purchased a set of "car battery terminal clamps" for the battery in the shed, which is plugged into a 100watt panel & pwm controller. I'm researching a 500-1000 watt inverter. It's going to be used to charge batteries for my cordless power tools.

I was gifted with second deep cycle battery (that interstate battery mentioned).

The two batteries are set up
Red (positive) to red
Black (negative) to black

I have the inverter red clamp to the positive on battery 1 and the negative on battery 2.

This is parallel correct?

My big question is, is my EAsun inverter going to recognize the new battery automatically, or do I have to set it up to accept the extra power available?

My current solar set up is messy (wires everywhere). It's in bad/tight slot in the basement. I have plans on moving it soon, so I can take pictures, soon, if necessary.

Thanks for your help.

Solar project update.

I purchased a set of "car battery terminal clamps" for the battery in the shed, which is plugged into a 100watt panel & pwm controller. I'm researching a 500-1000 watt inverter. It's going to be used to charge batteries for my cordless power tools.

I was gifted with second deep cycle battery (that interstate battery mentioned).

Red (positive) to red

I have the inverter red clamp to the positive on battery 1 and the negative on battery 2.

My big question is, is my EAsun inverter going to recognize the new battery automatically, or do I have to set it up to accept the extra power available?

My current solar set up is messy (wires everywhere). It's in bad/tight slot in the basement. I have plans on moving it soon, so I can take pictures, soon, if necessary.

Thanks for your help.

Solar project update.

Red (positive) to red

Thanks for your help.
Regarding the inverter, Be sure you get a pure sine wave type. Things have changed a lot in the last 15 years or so but I ruined a whole bunch of Makita batteries using a modified square wave inverter.

Red (positive) to red

Sounds correct. Batteries parallel, positive to positive, negative to negative.
Inverter connected diagonally so power can split evenly (assuming batteries also identical.)

Good to check with a volt meter for voltage and polarity before making final connection or turning things on. It is easy to get mixed up.

Back