diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

Man those cells look a lot better! Largest variance of .003v vs a previous of .01 or more

Unfortunately BMS defaults are all over the place and generally wrong. These box shifters have no idea how to set these up or even what you are talking about.
Once they had taken your payment and shipped your units they really will not talk to you ever again.

Unfortunately BMS defaults are all over the place and generally wrong. These box shifters have no idea how to set these up or even what you are talking about.
Once they had taken your payment and shipped your units they really will not talk to you ever again.
Exactly!!!

Cell 9 most likely triggered HVD.

Today battery 1 (which is now address 2 and no longer the master) again got into OVP and again it is cell 9. So this battery stopped at 54.52V.

The other 4 batteries still accept a small charge. One cell is as high as 3497mV but no OVP. BMS status says "full" instead. All4 batteries show 56.30 to 56.34V (while under charge)

What can I do about the one that goes OVP? Just ignore it?

All 5 will be perfectly balanced at/ after sunset.

Not so balanced right now:
20240117_125823.jpg

Today battery 1 (which is now address 2 and no longer the master) again got into OVP and again it is cell 9. So this battery stopped at 54.52V.

The other 4 batteries still accept a small charge. One cell is as high as 3497mV but no OVP. BMS status says "full" instead. All4 batteries show 56.30 to 56.34V (while under charge)

What can I do about the one that goes OVP? Just ignore it?
Lots of options. Post in thread 'Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/i...-split-phase-solar-inverter.71345/post-980170

I'd reduce charging voltage and max charging current to start.
All 5 will be perfectly balanced at/ after sunset.
Will they or will voltages drop to the flat part of the curve?
Not so balanced right now:
View attachment 189558
Don't feel bad, mine aren't either.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240117-162114.jpg
    Screenshot_20240117-162114.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2
Fully charged by mid afternoon...maybe still a bit of balancing going on...

and btw the changes I made to the bms last night (Balance Threshold (3.5 -> 3.4 and Balance Delta 30 -> 20) did not change in all 5 BMSs as I thought. It has to do with connecting, disconnecting and reconnecting to the new battery... the PBMStools seems to hold the info in the BMS Parameters screen unless you follow the full disconnect the application, unplug and move the rs232 cable , reconnect, re-read the BMS Parameters.
(If you reread them without disconnecting and reconnecting it appears to hold the previous information)

Screenshot 2024-01-17 144300.png

Fully charged by mid afternoon...maybe still a bit of balancing going on...

and btw the changes I made to the bms last night (Balance Threshold (3.5 -> 3.4 and Balance Delta 30 -> 20) did not change in all 5 BMSs as I thought. It has to do with connecting, disconnecting and reconnecting to the new battery... the PBMStools seems to hold the info in the BMS Parameters screen unless you follow the full disconnect the application, unplug and move the rs232 cable , reconnect, re-read the BMS Parameters.
(If you reread them without disconnecting and reconnecting it appears to hold the previous information)

View attachment 189565
I'd be watching packs 2 and 5 closely. They likely won't have full capacity since the cells that are still below 3.3xV aren't full...

I'd be watching packs 2 and 5 closely. They likely won't have full capacity since the cells that are still below 3.3xV aren't full...
I'm not quite sure what you are talking about because they are all above 3.3 in that referenced image.

Oh you probably mean they are not all 3.4

We'll get there eventually.... ?

P.S. I'm just thrilled that it ran normally, charged to 100% and stopped. Yes!!!

Last edited:
This should be pinned at the top of this thread, if the forum software provides such a thing.
Was this relationship not true on yours or was some deviation causing a problem?

I agree it may be important, I'm still not certain though. I'm still learning all this and that and everything.

Was this relationship not true on yours or was some deviation causing a problem?

I agree it may be important, I'm still not certain though. I'm still learning all this and that and everything.

It seems important when going to user mode.

I will join the dark side tomorrow.

My imbalances are caused by a too high charging voltage, I was told.

Edit: just hooked up my first 240V circuit.. car charger. The inverter had to work hard for the first time. No smoke though.

It seems important when going to user mode.

I will join the dark side tomorrow.

My imbalances are caused by a too high charging voltage, I was told.

Edit: just hooked up my first 240V circuit.. car charger. The inverter had to work hard for the first time. No smoke though.

Oh Lordy...here we go. LOL! I was quite happy with the way my machine performed today as you may have seen. Need to get through a few full battery cycles and I'll feel better about it. I may go back and try closed loop after that but ... who knows...

Lots of options. Post in thread 'Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/i...-split-phase-solar-inverter.71345/post-980170

I'd reduce charging voltage and max charging current to start.

Will they or will voltages drop to the flat part of the curve?

Don't feel bad, mine aren't either.
I agree that reducing the max charge voltage to keep cell 9 from spiking. my cell 9 was doin te same thing which is why I settled on 55.2 for bulk charge it gets to 100 soc fairly quick but stops the cell 9 from triping OVP. You can still get to full with less voltage but I found 55.2 gets there fairly quick while maintaining cell 9 from OVP.

This is all great info and great help guys! Thank You!

Things still running great here this morning, except Internet is still down! Tech is supposed to be here this morning...hopefully will get it resolved....I'm guessing it is a supply cable issue (and was caused by the wild temp swing of 50 degrees we had from Monday night -19 to Tuesday noon 32 when it stopped working). I'm actually thinking of going back/getting Comcast/Xfinity again as a backup. Depends on how things go this morning I guess. Not having Internet when your whole house pretty much depends on it is a PITA!

Well the Quantum Tech came and tested and went....cable division notified because break is beyond my connection...

Back