diy solar

diy solar

Inverter Brand and model vs OEM manufacturer - or Who Makes this Stuff!

I would have to look into that.
I thought that Sigineer was a copy.
Per sigineer they were the OEM for those units which is why they also offered them in other sizes that Growatt didn’t. I suppose it’s entirely possible that the sigineer rep wasn’t forthcoming

Smart move.
Roughly where are you at? North of the Soo ? As in Sault St Marie? I'm a former troll. That's a Michigander who lives under the bridge! :)
Now I'm a Hoosier. An Indiana-ite. Yeah, we are all Hoosiers, but no one knows why! :giggle:
Considering the cost to swap inverters, aren't you better off grabbing some power off the grid for a few hours with your charge-verter?
The cloudy months suck.
The Soo - way down South! LOL
Yeah closer to Dryden, in the farm land near by, about 30 minute drive. lots of space, not a lot of people, Works for me. Lots of sun-shine.

Last edited:
Yeah, I use the charging option this time of year.
I just see what the solar for the day was, and top it up with grid-charge if the solar did less than 30kWh for the day so we are good for the night. If there is a storm in the forcast, I charge up to 100% to have max battery available in case of an outage. Power outages are pretty common when you live among tall trees and power lines. :ROFLMAO:

I used some grid, last night. Been raining and cloudy for the last week.
Back off grid, an hour after sunrise. Managed to pull 36kwh from the sky, today. And the sun is supposed to visit tomorrow, too.
This time of year, sucks.

I got over 30kWh today too! (with a lot smaller PV array btw) but November is hit and miss, I see two more days of mostly sunny days but then looking like three days of cloudy skys. Last week I saw a day with 3kWh ! ie crap. never know what your going to get!
Need More Batteries! More PV!

we all got challenges, I hear ya!
I have some trees on the East property line, 75 feet tall and more, these are my trees but if I cut them, my neighbour's place will be in full sight and sound - with his logging business that is not ideal, so we suffer with the loss of early AM solar until about 9:30 when the sun comes around far enough to clear them. Gotta make choices sometimes, it was my wife that recently suggested the West pasture - with panels facing south-east would be in full sun earlier since the trees are far enough to the east that the sun clears them for that area. -kinda surprised me that she was checking where the sun goes and would point this out...I didn't tell her that the cable run length to the West pasture from the solar set up near the East property line is going to need 500+ feet of wire! (yeah part of my interest in higher DC input voltage for the next set of inverters)
Hey that leads me to a question - there are SCC (non- AIO units) are some set up for high DC voltage? If I wanted to put a 5kW array far from my solar set up to a dedicated SCC to charge the ESS, can I get a 450vDC SCC? suggestions?

To be sure I get this right,
SCC would tie-in on the Inverter side of the 500A Victron Shunt, so as it charges the battery ESS, the Shunt will track the power into the batteries.
Which is really just the same as the PV input (s) from the AIO's which are also on the "inverter side" of the shunt. I suppose the Shunt will not "know" how much is the inverters PV and how much is the SCC it just 'sees' the energy going to battery and totals up how many kWh. Did I get this right?

To be sure I get this right,
SCC would tie-in on the Inverter side of the 500A Victron Shunt, so as it charges the battery ESS, the Shunt will track the power into the batteries.
Which is really just the same as the PV input (s) from the AIO's which are also on the "inverter side" of the shunt. I suppose the Shunt will not "know" how much is the inverters PV and how much is the SCC it just 'sees' the energy going to battery and totals up how many kWh. Did I get this right?
Yup

Thanks @timselectric
So, now the next item, 5,000W PV array way across my place - 500 feet one-way distance from the solar equipment room, to the proposed new West-pasture array.
With the PV panels I think I can get, the array will put out (under ideal conditions) 5kW, 450vDC , 11.1Amps
Will a buried 2 conductor 10AWG be sufficient, (Copper) or do I need 8AWG?
Would this be a good application for Aluminum wire, and go 8AWG or 6AWG?
edit: In all cases, direct bury liquid-tight amored cables, not conduit.

Last edited:
I’ll try and make a spreadsheet this weekend of the 20 or so inverters off hand with OEM manufacturers.
There was a google doc going but it hasn’t been maintained it would seem
I thought about making a chart like this and wondered where to post it.. Having delved into which names are put on the SRNE HF series and how it could help people asking questions to realize a Sungold user possibly can answer his Chins inverter questions

Thanks @timselectric
So, now the next item, 5,000W PV array way across my place - 500 feet one-way distance from the solar equipment room, to the proposed new West-pasture array.
With the PV panels I think I can get, the array will put out (under ideal conditions) 5kW, 450vDC , 11.1Amps
Will a buried 2 conductor 10AWG be sufficient, (Copper) or do I need 8AWG?
Would this be a good application for Aluminum wire, and go 8AWG or 6AWG?
edit: In all cases, direct bury liquid-tight amored cables, not conduit.
#10 is fine.
I wouldn't do liquid-tight.
PVC Conduit is a much better choice. (Pull box half way)

The Soo - way down South! LOL
Yeah closer to Dryden, in the farm land near by, about 30 minute drive. lots of space, not a lot of people, Works for me. Lots of sun-shine.

I see it. I've been to Kenora. Fished in the Lake of the Woods. I am sure we drove right through Dryden, but that was several ago.
So I guess from your perspective, most of us are southerners! Ha ha

Yeah...

I'm going to go to China one of these days and see what I can learn.

Back