diy solar

diy solar

Inverter cutting out due to high voltage .....

keithpc

I need to run my koi pond by solar but my inverter keeps tripping out due to over voltage? The system was running fine until we got a sunny day about a week ago and ever since the inverter has been causing me nightmares. As you will understand because it is running a Koi pond pump, aerator and a UV light I can't afford for it to keep tripping out. The power consumption is averaging 330 Watts.
The system is as follows

720 Watt Solar panels
EPEVER 30 watt MPPT SCC
1500 Watt Pure Sine Inverter (24 volt)
Transfer switch
200AH LifePO4 Lithium batteries (2 x 100AH paired)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Solar setup.jpg
    Solar setup.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Solar Charge Controller.jpg
    Solar Charge Controller.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
What is your SCC charge parameters? A lot of these 24vDC inverters are set to trip if incoming voltage exceeds 30vDC. This can sometimes happen if the voltage spikes high after battery gets charged. You can try reducing your Bulk/boost charge voltage a bit and see if the problem is fixed.

What is your SCC charge parameters? A lot of these 24vDC inverters are set to trip if incoming voltage exceeds 30vDC. This can sometimes happen if the voltage spikes high after battery gets charged. You can try reducing your Bulk/boost charge voltage a bit and see if the problem is fixed.
Thanks Matt. Not really a technophobe but I will do a bit of research as to how to carry out your suggestion.

my inverter was cutting out when I had 2x Epever MPPTs due to cloud edge effects and when a large load was turned off, the MPPTs could not regulate the power fast enough, the battery would spike to 31.5v for 1 second causing the inverter to momentarily protect itself and restart.

my inverter was cutting out when I had 2x Epever MPPTs due to cloud edge effects and when a large load was turned off, the MPPTs could not regulate the power fast enough, the battery would spike to 31.5v for 1 second causing the inverter to momentarily protect itself and restart.
Thanks. If you don't mind me asking but what did you do to overcome the issue?

In my quest for answers I met a handful of people who were experiencing the same issues while using Epever MPPTs. The solution for them was to switch to Victron.

For me, it didn't matter what settings I changed, I had the max charge set to 28.8v and it would still spike to 31.5v.

I bit the bullet and switched to victron. No issues since. I believe victron are very good quality in comparison.

I believe Epever function well-enough in a DC only system with no inverter. I am still using them to keep all my random 12v batteries topped up.

In my quest for answers I met a handful of people who were experiencing the same issues while using Epever MPPTs. The solution for them was to switch to Victron.

For me, it didn't matter what settings I changed, I had the max charge set to 28.8v and it would still spike to 31.5v.

I bit the bullet and switched to victron. No issues since. I believe victron are very good quality in comparison.

I believe Epever function well-enough in a DC only system with no inverter. I am still using them to keep all my random 12v batteries topped up.
Took your advice onboard and I awaiting the delivery of a Victron MPPT SC

It's an expensive answer but hopefully it works out for you mate ?
Hi. Just thought I would let you know that the new Victron SCC and a new 2000 watt inverter are now in place and I am very impressed with the bluetooth setup. I will give it a couple of days to settle in and hopefully problems will be cured.

Last edited:
I know you solved your problem, but for someone doing research with the same problem. How about a DC water pump to eliminate the inverter??
https://www.amazon.com/12V-Brushless-Submersible-Fountain-Aquarium/dp/B01KC3UAN6?th=1
Hi thanks for your reply. That is defeating why I purchased the system as through the summer months I want the pond to be self running and to pay for itself and then in the winter months the automatic transfer switch is set to cross over when the batteries start to deplete and run whilst they get recharged over time. The pond needs to run 24/7/365 to maintain the filtration system. The pump you linked isn't powerful enough and its gph is too low as my pond is 2500 gallons. Hopefully I will get it sorted and fingers crossed the new equipment will do its job.

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is a slave to the Great God Koi. OK ours actually belong to my wife. The pond is the single largest consumer of energy over time in our home**, 300W 24/7/365 definitely adds up.

We flooded quite badly last year and the ruddy things escaped from their pond. They spent a happy couple of weeks swimming around in our 1/2 acre walled garden. They were all re-captured and returned to their cozy pond as the flooding went down.

No problem really, our 10.6kWp hybrid system keeps everyone happy.

** Actually, right now the single largest consumer is the aircon in my UK grand-daughters' room. Two blue-eyed, blonde teens who are used to a hot day being 25C. Luckily, they are only here for two weeks but with the A/C set to 18C and outside temperatures approaching 40C ...

Hi, I also find the same problem but with the 48v, and at the moment I have lowered the disconnect voltage from 64 defaut to 60 volts. The situation has improved but has not been resolved. I'm trying with the disconnect at 60 v and the voltage reconnect very low at 57.80 volts with the max charging equal to 57.80 . What do you think?

Back