diy solar

diy solar

Inverter refuses the generator

The Honda seems fine, so it must be something about my little Champion that the inverter doesn't like. Until this storm is over, my
neighbor's Honda will see me through. Thank you all for the input. I'll go over all your suggestions and figure out my Champion generator problem when this storm passes and post the answer when I get it. Thanks again folks.
I agree with @RCinFLA as to the cause (rapidly wandering frequency). My neighbor had a Champion generator which worked great for a year or two. After that, his Schneider XW6048 would not qualify its AC output. We could not hear an audible difference and could not see the frequency change with a voltmeter since it tended to average the measurements a little. He adjusted the valve clearance (per the manual since it had reached that service interval) and it would connect for a little while but after it heated up it would disconnect. About a week later it blew up. He got a replacement from Costco under warranty. The new one is a different brand and has been working fine so far.

Generally, the more affordable portable generators are not intended for extended use or battery charging in off-grid systems.

I remember reading a post recently by Robin of midnite solar talking about problems like this and he mentioned that a common question he asked was about the generator, and that the biggest problems they have seen with inverters is actually generators….

Back