diy solar

diy solar

Inverter replacement options for a Magnum ENERGY MS4024AE

Tombat74

Hello folks,

I am brand new to this forum, last fall I installed an off grid solar system at my remote cabin. My components are as follows:

6 395watt Qcells 48v panels~ I purchased these
Apollo Solar T80 Solar charge controller~ this came with the cabin new in a box
magnum energy MS4024AE inverter charger~ this came new in the box with the cabin and had a bonus mummified mouse and mouse house in it! Don’t worry, we cleaned it out before installing and it worked… for a short period of time! ? (Currently presenting a No inverter Comm error)
midnite MNE250STM-240 industrial control panel~ this also came new in the box with the cabin
8~ Rolls syrette 6v 415ah batteries wired in 2 banks at 24 volts to supply the inverter~ I purchased these.

This system was powering my offgrid cabin with very little issue until recently. I had to take the system offline to terminate some connections and to change the supply wire from the solar system in the power shack up to the cabin. Previously it was only an 10g wire…. Not nearly large enough for the inverters capability for output. After completing this work I started receiving an error on the magnum display saying that there was a no inverter comm situation. I completed all the resets suggested and the inverter just won’t power on for some reason. Assuming the aforementioned mummified mouse is coming back to haunt me!!!. As a result of this I am now in need of a new inverter and would like to pose a question to the group. Do I buy another magnum? I contacted them and they said repair parts for my unit could take months. So that ruled out a fast repair on my current inverter. I’m on the fence with it. I’m in Canada and a new MS4024PAE is 3600$ in canuckistan money. I’m reluctant to pay that at this point on a new one for obvious reasons and as a result I’m looking for suggestions from a knowledgeable group like this one here. I’ve followed Will for a long time on YouTube and it’s his inspiration that prompted me to take on this project. I’ve always loved wiring things and should have become an electron chaser for a career.
so the question becomes, what do I do? kinda been looking at MPP solar LV6048…. I would like to keep the 240v output to the cabin and beyond as this system powers a few buildings on the property and 240v power is important in a few of them. There is just so many inverter chargers on the market I just don’t know where to start…. Money really isn’t a factor…. However I do like to do things on a budget when I can….. this makes the mothership happy…. If you catch my meaning!

so what is the best option here for me to keep 240v output, easily tie into that midnite panel, keep the mothership happy with the money I’m spending, y’all can kinda see where I’m going here! I appreciate any and all input.

thanks,

Tom

If you have the chance to go 48v now.

I would also suggest a schneider, 4024 or 4048. Signature has best pricing.
The only reason I went with 24V banks was because of that magnum inverter. I’m not opposed to creating one big 48v bank with the batteries I have. I‘m curious though about the Schneider product as I’ve seen a few people grumbling online about failures in those SW series. it does look like it would play nice with my midnite panel though.

Back