diy solar

diy solar

Is it the beginning of the end for Solark?

Funny as I think diy will get bigger as it gets more difficult, more expensive, and less profitable to be grid tied.

Bigger meaning going from 1% to 2% of the market. Hey that’s still 100%

I have a lot of engineer colleagues in high COLA areas talking about getting their hands dirty and DIYing more in general to get a handle on home ownership costs, but I harbor no illusions that it will end up being a macro society trend. More like, a lifestyle change for a handful of people.

Should they go down ( which I don't hope as their support seems fantastic) Deye will take over..
This seems optimistic. Have they done this in other markets? There are many ways the rebadging etc can affect the original manufacturer’s responsibility. I think if it is a rebadge and the manufacturer has no onshore presence of its own the safe assumption, unless positive evidence comes to light, is that you are ? out of luck.

Bigger meaning going from 1% to 2% of the market. Hey that’s still 100%

I have a lot of engineer colleagues in high COLA areas talking about getting their hands dirty and DIYing more in general to get a handle on home ownership costs, but I harbor no illusions that it will end up being a macro society trend. More like, a lifestyle change for a handful of people.

This seems optimistic. Have they done this in other markets? There are many ways the rebadging etc can affect the original manufacturer’s responsibility. I think if it is a rebadge and the manufacturer has no onshore presence of its own the safe assumption, unless positive evidence comes to light, is that you are ? out of luck.
By take over I did not mean take over for existing sol-ark customers, rather take over that piece of the market with their own kit.

Look the calculations are real simple
Currently a 3 phase deye 12k (comparable to a 15k sol-ark )goes for around 2400 USD in distri pricing

Even if sol-ark were selling the 15k for 5000 USD , there is a 200% upmark
If that is justifying their support model, remains to be judged by the folks buying them

If deye were to start selling at 3400 , there is plenty of meat left for localized support, while giving EG4 a run for their money..

You have complete autonomy on an all electric house with that setup?
I only have the essential loads offgrid. That’s all most people will need rare power outages or to survive when/if SHTF.. yes I have complete autonomy for those loads.
24/7/365 my all electric homes power usage is covered with grid tie zero export, except some days in the summer which can be very hot where I live. Sometimes not dropping under 76f at night so the air conditioner runs a lot which causes batteries to reach LVD. However the cooling is not essential and therefore not wired to the offgrid inverter. My water heats everyday via the grid tie inverters. when the batteries reach float the charge controller powers a relay which allows the water to heat.

I'd think you would want to power A/C from the inverters offgrid while sun shines, or while high SoC.
Already has a low current thermostat wire so easy to control. Manual transfer switch or plug/socket if you don't want automatic switching.

My small whole-house AC runs fine off PV system. I don't have switching automatic except for thermostat timer.

That is simply not true. My off grid system feeds into a breaker in my main panel. My incoming utility feed breaker is locked open. I have no transfer switch, if for some reason I have multiple equipment failures and had to go back on grid, I open breaker for grid forming inverter and shut breaker from utility- has not happened and of course don’t expect it to.
That is only possible if the offgrid inverter is capable of powering the entire house 24/7. If you followed the conversation and didn’t cherry pic certain things than you would understand how that’s irrelevant. ?For most homes in the USA that requires a very large expensive offgrid inverter and a huge expensive battery bank. pass thru or grid support is irrelevant at that point. Really having a grid connection at all is almost irrelevant if it’s don’t that way.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Although I haven't heard many reports of the 18kpv(main solark competition) not working yet I see 3x as many of those installs 3 on YouTube as I do solark.
I'm sure theres far more "brand ambassadors"/folks sponsored with free/discount gear hyping up eg4 versus solark.

Solark is premium priced compared to the eg4 options.

I'm sure theres far more "brand ambassadors"/folks sponsored with free/discount gear hyping up eg4 versus solark.

Solark is premium priced compared to the eg4 options.
There are a lot of those , to be sure, but I'm looking at forums where people are buying them with their own money, unsponsored purchases

Grid-tie PV was the easy way, back when Net Metering existed.
Today, grid-tie with battery for time shifting imports and exports, using CT at utility connection. Having a backed up critical loads panel is then almost free.

To operate without the grid, need to manage loads, or massively oversize to support peaks. Just like the grid. To most effectively utilize a zero-export or other than net metering plan, it is also useful.

There are a lot of those , to be sure, but I'm looking at forums where people are buying them with their own money, unsponsored purchases

That's me, and I buy SMA. Preferably no more than $0.25 on the dollar (Sunny Island) or $0.10 on the dollar (Sunny Boy.)

As for the cheap imports, certainly many people buying them. As for whether they are happy with performance, well, we hear from those who aren't.

As for the cheap imports, certainly many people buying them. As for whether they are happy with performance, well, we hear from those who aren't.
It's the same for any price point.
Unhappy customers, want to be heard.
Happy customers, just go on with their lives.

Grid-tie PV was the easy way, back when Net Metering existed.
Today, grid-tie with battery for time shifting imports and exports, using CT at utility connection. Having a backed up critical loads panel is then almost free.

To operate without the grid, need to manage loads, or massively oversize to support peaks. Just like the grid. To most effectively utilize a zero-export or other than net metering plan, it is also useful.

That's me, and I buy SMA. Preferably no more than $0.25 on the dollar (Sunny Island) or $0.10 on the dollar (Sunny Boy.)

So if one was off grid, two sunny island 6048-US can deliver split phase...any other equipment needed on the SMA side?

Back