diy solar

diy solar

JK BMS 200A (350A peak). 2x 7AWG. HOW?

solarrig

JK BMS, rated at 200A current with 350A peaks. Have two 7AWG cables on B- and two 7AWG cables on P-. How this is possible? Does anyone had a problems with it?
7AWG cable rated to 30-40A. Two of those will double accordingly 60-80A. Is it safe to use?

JK BMS, rated at 200A current with 350A peaks. Have two 7AWG cables on B- and two 7AWG cables on P-. How this is possible? Does anyone had a problems with it?
7AWG cable rated to 30-40A. Two of those will double accordingly 60-80A. Is it safe to use?
They are silicone jacketed, super fine strand. And very short.
Not a problem.

JK BMS, rated at 200A current with 350A peaks.
Can you link to the specific BMS you are referencing

How this is possible?

7AWG cable rated to 30-40A. Two of those will double accordingly 60-80A.
I'm not sure where you are getting these numbers from but I don't think they are accurate.

Ampacity of the wire depends on a number of factors, including the insulation temperature rating and ambient air temperature. My guess is that the 30-40A number you quoted is very conservative.

You can see on this Marine Ampacity table, 7AWG wire with an insulation temperature rating of 105*C and an ambient of <=30*C (86*F) has current carrying capacity of ~70A. This type of BMS often uses silicone wire with an even higher temp rating (often 125-200*C)

Is it safe to use?
Personally I'd derate by at least 20% (not just because of the wire specifically, just because I think its the prudent thing to do with components like this).

Depends on how long, and chassis wiring:

You are thinking wire in conduit for any length.

Last edited:
They are silicone jacketed, super fine strand. And very short.
Not a problem.
Yeah... i'm somehow did not think about length. That's right. They are very short. Maybe super fine strand also makes sense. But silicone jacket? :) It does not acting in power transmission :) Why you mentioning it? :) Higher temp. resistance?

Depends on how long, and chassis wiring:

You are thinking wire in conduit for any length.

yeah. my fault. Cable length.... :) did not counted it.

Back