diy solar

diy solar

JK BMS CAN bus comms now possible for inverters that support Goodwe and Pylontech batteries

Thanks for your response (sorry for the delay).

So I managed to get it connected to the network (static IP only though. I have briefly tried it plugged in between the JKBMS and my inverter (Sofar HYD6000-ES). The inverter has a strange setting when using Pylontech, asking whether it is a US2000 or US3000. Not sure which is best to select, so I have tried both.
From
The inverter alarms out, stating no BMS is connected.

On Home Assistant, I can activate the ESP, but all other buttons are greyed out. I hope to have a proper look this Saturday due to time constraints, and attempt to log it.

All I have altered in the code is the battery size and voltages etc. My pins are connected to RX2 and TX2, D22 and D23.

I have approx 1.6-1.7v coming off the CANH/CANL line, so I know my connection there is good.

Any thoughts?
From experience, on a Sofar ME3000, there needs to be a 120 ohm terminating resistor between CAN H and CAN L, It will not connect to it without it.

Id say the Sofar HYD6000 would be similar.

Sofar has a general lithium battery (on the ME3000 anyway) and it really doesnt like some of the pylontech can protcols when connected to something with a different name. (from experience using the ZEVA BMS, had to get the pylontech removed from the CAN messages (0x359 if i remember correctly, will need to check the code)
Looked up the code, it was 0x359 and 0x35C I removed.
The general lithium on the sofar is the SMA protocol, without any additions from the Pylontech etc.

Last edited:
From experience, on a Sofar ME3000, there needs to be a 120 ohm terminating resistor between CAN H and CAN L, It will not connect to it without it.

Id say the Sofar HYD6000 would be similar.

Sofar has a general lithium battery (on the ME3000 anyway) and it really doesnt like some of the pylontech can protcols when connected to something with a different name. (from experience using the ZEVA BMS, had to get the pylontech removed from the CAN messages (0x359 if i remember correctly, will need to check the code)
Looked up the code, it was 0x359 and 0x35C I removed.
The general lithium on the sofar is the SMA protocol, without any additions from the Pylontech etc.
The SMA protocol is very different when it comes to the ALARMS and Warnings.

If it supports Pylon batteries, it should work with the Pylon protocol I use as it is the Pylon Protocol standard I use.

The SMA protocol is very different when it comes to the ALARMS and Warnings.

If it supports Pylon batteries, it should work with the Pylon protocol I use as it is the Pylon Protocol standard I use.
Had a quick look over both protocols.

That is likely why on the zeva bms, I had problems with the pylontech can messages.

The sofar (me3000, a storage inverter, it's what I have ) tries to be smart and pick the battery type the battery is providing... And not just do what it's told! And it would be really unstable. (Random charge/discharge spikes)

I could see it flip between the pylon selection and the general lithium ("ZEVA BMS") selection.

A solis on the other hand has no issues with both protocols being active. but was unstable too on the pylontech selection, possibly an error in the code. Needed to select LG chem on the the 4G ones and AoBo on the 5G inverters (people using the seplos, us the AoBo battery setting too)

Possibly for the poster above, if the battery name is changed to "PYLON" it might settle the errors.

Update on Hardware interface.

I have made a prototype hardware interface that will essentially make it plug and play for most inverters, more details on my Patreon.
Hardware interface will be available to purchase for Patrons.

Update on Hardware interface.

I have made a prototype hardware interface that will essentially make it plug and play for most inverters, more details on my Patreon.
Hardware interface will be available to purchase for Patrons.
just an idea, but have you thought about sending a prototype to some of the popular youtube channels? it would probably help build a lot of support for the project!

Get this come up whilst installing??

Attachments

• 20230228_112304.jpg
    20230228_112304.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 26
do i have to specify a domain name in the config as i dont use one
neither do i have an api. can i delete these from the script before installing cheers

do i have to specify a domain name in the config as i dont use one

Do an ipconfig from a command prompt, your router maybe using a default.

On your adaptor you will see the below:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : localdomain.com

.localdomain.com is you domain.
you can set it to nothing eg ""
if you remove it, it defaults to .local as the domain

Last edited:
@uksa007 I will be getting a jk b2a24s20p with can soon. I am trying to find a 72v charger (this is for a golf cart build) for my 23s 230ah pack and some chargers have can comms. I understand jkbms is can 2.0a, but some of these dealers are asking for the can protocol or a protocol file. I tell them 2.0a but they treat me like I have no clue what's going on ( surprise I dont!). One dealer said they use 2.0b so my bms can comm isnt compatable. Then they offer me a dumb charger. What do I need to show them or tell them to get me the right can enabled charger.

For the last 5 days I have been looking and always dead end at ur esp github or neey's and those file aren't what I need apparently. But thanks for what you do.

You can just tell me to go with a dumb charger if I'm not making any sense.

@uksa007 I will be getting a jk b2a24s20p with can soon. I am trying to find a 72v charger (this is for a golf cart build) for my 23s 230ah pack and some chargers have can comms. I understand jkbms is can 2.0a, but some of these dealers are asking for the can protocol or a protocol file. I tell them 2.0a but they treat me like I have no clue what's going on ( surprise I dont!). One dealer said they use 2.0b so my bms can comm isnt compatable. Then they offer me a dumb charger. What do I need to show them or tell them to get me the right can enabled charger.

Hi,

Here is the JK-BMS CAN standard:

See if you can find anything compatible with it.

Regards.

Last edited:
Does anybody have this version of hardware and software on there bms and can confirm it works cheers Screenshot_20230305-144926.jpg

Ask them to send you the CAN Protocol that their charger uses and see if it is the same.
Edit: 1 hour later they tell me it will work now.

@uksa007 the charger manufacturer sent me this, I think it's can2-b. Will this communicate with the JK BMS? One manufacturer said the file you sent would work but now they say "According to your CAN protocol, the charger only can receive code.
If you don't need the charger send any code to BMS,then there is no problem.
If you need the charger send code to BMS,please let us know.We will need a ID address for charger in your protocol"

Sorry to be so naive, but the amount of stuff I've learned in the last 3 weeks is like drinking from the fire hose! You solar guys have been great to me, thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230316_071535_Docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20230316_071535_Docs.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20230316_065819_Alibabacom.jpg
    Screenshot_20230316_065819_Alibabacom.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20230316_081341_Alibabacom.jpg
    Screenshot_20230316_081341_Alibabacom.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Edit: 1 hour later they tell me it will work now. Makes me feel like they just want to sell the dumb foreigner a dumb charger and tell him it works. Ug.

@uksa007 the charger manufacturer sent me this, I think it's can2-b. Will this communicate with the JK BMS? One manufacturer said the file you sent would work but now they say "According to your CAN protocol, the charger only can receive code.
If you don't need the charger send any code to BMS,then there is no problem.
If you need the charger send code to BMS,please let us know.We will need a ID address for charger in your protocol"

Sorry to be so naive, but the amount of stuff I've learned in the last 3 weeks is like drinking from the fire hose! You solar guys have been great to me, thank you.
Looks very different to me, JK is using standard CAN frames 11 bit, they are using extended 29 bit the two are not compatible.

Looks very different to me, JK is using standard CAN frames 11 bit, they are using extended 29 bit the two are not compatible.

Yes I was reading that thank you. Wasn't 100% it was can2b.

They say the charger can receive commands from bms but the bms can not receive commands from this charger. Any reason the bms would need to receive commands from the charger?

I should prolly just get the stupid dumb charger LOL

Hello I'm planning to build your project. Has anyone had any success with 16S and Sofar Inverter (so no pylontech protocol) ?

I have a HYD-5000-ES. It supports Pylon, but as far as I understood, Pylon is limited to 15s ?
Seems to support many batteries that use the pylon protocol, Alpha, General etc

Compatible Batteries 1.PYLON PYLONTECH US2000 PLUS / US2000B 22 / 43 Note: Please confirm with representative of PYLONTECH that your battery is compatible with HYD3000/4000/5000/6000‐ES 2. DARFON DARFON 14S31P ESS 3.DEFAULT LEAD ACID / LEAD CRYSTAL / AQUION battery 4. General Lithium All batteries that comply with SOFAR’S BMS CAN communication protocol. 5. Alpha. ESS M48112‐P / SMILE‐BAT 6. SOLTARO SL‐3KWH / SL‐1KWH

I did not buy nor installed anything, so it's not easy to understand.
Your interface interprets RS485 from JK and "translates" it to a Canbus protocol (Pylon 15S as said in the Github page or Goodwe 16s)

Is Goodwe the same as Darfon, General, Alpha or Soltaro ?

Also do I need a wifi connection once setup done (inverter is far from accespoint) ?

Last edited:
I did not buy nor installed anything, so it's not easy to understand.
Your interface interprets RS485 from JK and "translates" it to a Canbus protocol (Pylon 15S as said in the Github page or Goodwe 16s)

Is Goodwe the same as Darfon, General, Alpha or Soltaro ?

Also do I need a wifi connection once setup done (inverter is far from accespoint) ?
The protocol is essentially the same, if you pick a pylon battery it may expect 15s, if you pick General or other it may be happy with 16s.

If you don't want to use wifi you will need to remove all the wifi components in the script.

Hello I'm planning to build your project. Has anyone had any success with 16S and Sofar Inverter (so no pylontech protocol) ?
I use 16s and sofar me3000sp and it works well. Using the goodwe protocol. My inverter is set to general lithium. I don't use HA to monitor it so just commented out the ssid and password bit and seems to work fine

diy solar

diy solar
Back