diy solar

diy solar

JuncTek Battery Monitor vs Victron SmartShunt

Battery Monitor in and working...now need to calibrate, but have to move the trailer off premises, just got HOA complaint. Will be using the temp sensor to monitor cabinet space temp and/or main battery cable temp...etc. Very handy. FYI, have both the measuring module and monitor mounted against the back wall using the 3M version of "velco", where both of the mating surfaces on the 3M product are the same. Almost "snaps" into place when you mate. This way I can pull out the monitor as you see here and lower/close the controller into the cabinet.

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpeg
    IMG_0294.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 24
Newbie here...bought this battery monitor to finish my solar install and read entire post and looks like this monitor is getting better by the day. I know this may seem simple to you folks but does this wiring diagram look correct? All the instruction vids I see have cables that run off screen and hard to tell what they're connected to. This look right? Thx!
Your wiring is correct!

As for this product, do you have any ideas for improvement? I contacted their engineers and said that they were designing the second generation KG140F recently

I have no complaints, love mine. The adjustable meter scales are a very nice feature. As is the display brightness adjustability.

The label text for temp should say ‘bat’ or ‘battery’ in lieu of ‘ext’.
Was great to be able to change it to show Fahrenheit.

A surface mount display option would be a nice feature. I put the flush mount in a box to convert it to surface mount.

Just bought a couple of these for two battery banks. Can I hook up this shunt to my deye inverter via the rs485 interface to provide the inverter with data such as a (more accurate) soc and battery Temps

Has anyone tried that?

Just bought a couple of these for two battery banks. Can I hook up this shunt to my deye inverter via the rs485 interface to provide the inverter with data such as a (more accurate) soc and battery Temps

Has anyone tried that?
The data can be read through 485 communication, and the communication protocol is at the bottom of the specification;

Regarding the April 10 firmware update:

7、Four extended functions have been added to the mobile APP:
Full voltage, Empty voltage,Tail current, Charged detection time;
For example, 12V 400Ah lead-acid battery, set the full charge voltage to 14.4V, Set Tail current to 2%, which means that the full charge current is 400*0.02=8A, and the Charged detection time is set to 2 minutes, which means that during the charging process, when the voltage is higher than 14.4V, the Tail current is lower than 8A, and after the duration exceeds 2 minutes, the percentage of remaining capacity will be automatically adjusted to 100%;
Set the Empty voltage to 10.5V , which means that when the voltage is lower than 10.5V and the duration exceeds 2 minutes during the discharge process, the percentage of remaining capacity will be automatically adjusted to 0% (if you feel that the Empty voltage is not very practical, you can set the full voltage, Tail current, and Charged detection time without setting the Empty voltage.)

Hi Rick,
I do not have the Shunt, but dowloaded the app to see if it can fit my need, i can't find thhose "extended functions" ... could you point me where they are ? Or maybe they donot appear cause i'm not connected to any device ?
Thanks

Reloaded iOS app and did the firmware upgrade. All of the settings are available, now just have to set them.
Thermometer still says 'ext. temp' which should be 'battery temp', but at least it will now display in F. How do you change that on the digital display? My guess is you cannot, just on the smart phone app.

It has always worked just great, I'm sure the new functions make it even more useful. (y)
I am still not using it for relays, but I do see you can set them to be normally open or normally closed.

Is 'Rickey' actually Kang Le? Where did he go??
I do not agree on the "battery temp" ... not everybody will use the temp sensor on the battery, i do not .. so "Ext. Temp" is perfect

Sure. You can mount the sensor on your toilet. LOL
Is that supposed to be fun cause we sure do not have the same sense of humor, maybe a lack of education... maybe ...
My shunt temp sensor is on the main breaker, seems you are the only one here thinking that this sensor absolutly got to go on cells.. ! So "Ext. Temp" is the perfect general term for this sensor.

Last edited:
Is that supposed to be fun cause we sure do not have the same sense of humor, maybe a lack of education... maybe ...
My shunt temp sensor is on the main breaker, seems you are the only one here thinking that this sensor got to go on cells.. ! So "Ext. Temp" is the perfect general term for this sensor.
Yes, you must surely be lacking. Oh well. Another one for blocking. B-bye toots.

My shunt temp sensor is on the main breaker, seems you are the only one here thinking that this sensor absolutly got to go on cells.. !
Well, it is a "Battery Monitor" that we are talking about, so I'm guessing no one else will be thinking of checking the temperature of a breaker. Seems kinda weird, actually.

Well, it is a "Battery Monitor" that we are talking about, so I'm guessing no one else will be thinking of checking the temperature of a breaker. Seems kinda weird, actually.
When you got a BMS with 2 temp sensors that are already on cells you're not gonna put a third one .. would you ?
The breaker is the one that will heat first if there is a high current flowing, so in my opinion it's clearly worth having an eye on it.

When you got a BMS with 2 temp sensors that are already on cells you're not gonna put a third one .. would you ?
The breaker is the one that will heat first if there is a high current flowing, so in my opinion it's clearly worth having an eye on it.
I guess I haven't seen your BMS, as all the ones I've seen don't have a display device that shows the temperature. Cool that you found such a thing. I have to use my phone to see the temps on all of my BMSs via an app and Bluetooth, and there's no way I can get the other people using the system to install much less use an app.

If you have a system where the heat of your breaker is your first indication that you have too much current, I think you need to re-look at your design.

I guess I haven't seen your BMS, as all the ones I've seen don't have a display device that shows the temperature. Cool that you found such a thing. I have to use my phone to see the temps on all of my BMSs via an app and Bluetooth, and there's no way I can get the other people using the system to install much less use an app.

If you have a system where the heat of your breaker is your first indication that you have too much current, I think you need to re-look at your design.
Who said that the temperature of my breaker is the first indication of too much current ..? It's not.
Twisting what people say is not a proof of intelligence, you act like those politics that got no argument.

The information of how much current is flowing, is given by the BMS or the added coulomb shunt, or partially by the inverter.
The breaker is a mechanical/electronic device that is source of fires, and i feel it's a good idea to watch its tempertaure, you do not, it's ok... you do what you want.
Almost all serious BMS make their temp sensor information available, be it through bluetooth, wifi, CAN or RS485, it's pretty easy to display all those datas.
The bms is here to watch those cells temps and do what's needed in case they go too high or too low, in reality there is no need to watch them.
And the discussion is not about this subject but about asking to rename the name of the sensor : "Ext. Sensor". This denomination is less specific and give room to use it for whatever we need.

Last edited:
So I have one of each. A victron and the junctek on two separate installations

Has anyone managed to get the junctek to work with solar assistant?
I managed to rig up an rs485 to usb cable but SA doesn't even recognize anything plugged in.
SA picks up the victron smart shunt nicely though and its now so good seeing the victron battery info within the solar assistant interface.

Trying to get this to work similarly with the Junctek shunt

Has anyone managed to get the junctek to work with solar assistant?
I managed to rig up an rs485 to usb cable but SA doesn't even recognize anything plugged in.

Trying to get this to work similarly with the Junctek shunt
Did you use an RS485 to USB cable/adapter that SA supports ?

Back