diy solar

diy solar

jury rig question

jbhicks

I have 17 sunvira series s mvx 300 panels and 9 sunvira mvx inverters. I do not have any controllers or wiring . I made some wiring and can produce 12 v power out the ying yang and have regulators to keep a bank of 12 v batteries charged (4) . I use inverters to produce the AC power for powering chargers & small power tools . I would like to get the mvx series inverters producing Ac power. I have assumed that I need a device to activate them . BUT , I am hopeing I can find a way to activate them with out purchasing a expensive device to do the job . mine have 5 wires on the out put side ,1 black, 1 red ,1 blue, which are listed as line 1 & 2 &3 1 white listed as neutral and 1 green listed as ground . Would like to feed what ever it takes back to the correct wire , to get one of the out put lined to produce ac power .
I will only us this ac , discontected from my power grid and only when I am present. Can it be done ????? and which wire to I send power back to the regularter and what type of power .

I'm not finding any info at all about your sunvira inverters? From your description, it sounds like a grid-tie inverter? Is that correct? Can you provide a link for it.

Realisticly, to make a grid-tie inverter work, you'd need to first have a stand-alone off-grid inverter producing a 120V 60Hz single for the grid-tie to lock on to, but to run the stand-alone, you'll need a charge controller, and a battery bank. Since you already have to have an off-grid inverter to start out, what's the point of adding the grid-ties if you only want to power chargers and small tools?

You need...
A 12V battery bank
A 12V MPPT charge controller
A 12V inverter

In sentence #2 you state "I use inverters to produce the AC power for powering chargers & small power tools." So, do you already have an off-grid inverter? Why do you need the power from the sunvira's if you already have off-grid AC?

You say you don't have a charge controller, but you have "regulators" for keeping 12V batteries charged? Could you please explain in more detail what you are saying here?

since , I have had no suggestions, I think I will hook a amp meter + to the line 1 wire and - to the ground wire . Then put a low amp 12 voltage (very quickly) to the remaining wires , one at a time , to see if any results . If nothing I will move the + to the line 2 , if nothing to line 3 . and start over .
I will wait a few days to see if anyone on forums thinks this is a bad idea , or if they have a better suggestion . If this does not work I will just hook all panels up to produce 12 v and try to determine if I can hook them up to an inverter and produce A/C. Will have to determine if I have to use with a battery bank, all the time, or if I can directly feed the panels to the inverter or more than one inverter .

I'm not finding any info at all about your sunvira inverters? From your description, it sounds like a grid-tie inverter? Is that correct? Can you provide a link for it.

Realisticly, to make a grid-tie inverter work, you'd need to first have a stand-alone off-grid inverter producing a 120V 60Hz single for the grid-tie to lock on to, but to run the stand-alone, you'll need a charge controller, and a battery bank. Since you already have to have an off-grid inverter to start out, what's the point of adding the grid-ties if you only want to power chargers and small tools?

You need...
A 12V battery bank
A 12V MPPT charge controller
A 12V inverter

In sentence #2 you state "I use inverters to produce the AC power for powering chargers & small power tools." So, do you already have an off-grid inverter? Why do you need the power from the sunvira's if you already have off-grid AC?

You say you don't have a charge controller, but you have "regulators" for keeping 12V batteries charged? Could you please explain in more detail what you are saying here?
No off grid power . I connect a couple of the panels to charge controllers and charge 4 12v batteries . I connect the 12 volt batteries in parallel and connect the inverter . I have a three or four inverters, I use . varied voltage For very small jobs, I use one that will do the job . I have a 5000 v inverter that I have never tried to use because I don't think the 4 batteries will support it very long . The lower voltage ones will run power drills , cut off tools but will not run my skil saw . Then I have to user portable generaters. Just trying to find limits to what I can do (with limited knowledge and what I can learn .

Back