diy solar

diy solar

Just gonna sing Signature Solar's praises for a minute

Skaffle

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this so I apologize if it is not. Just wanted to do a brief Signature Solar appreciation post.

So, I have been stalking SS's clearance page to see if I could snag one of their refurbished Lifepower4 48v batteries. I didn't exactly want a refurb, but the $300 discounted price was extremely appealing (working in animal care doesn't make you rich, unfortunately). Anyway, I finally saw they were in stock and hopped on the opportunity. Plus, the current free shipping promotion also helped me to pull the trigger.

That was Friday. Monday, it did not ship. Tuesday, it did not ship. Wednesday, it did not ship and I logged into my SS account just to make sure nothing had gone wrong with my order, but all seemed fine, just “awaiting shipment.” I legitimately thought “oh crap, maybe they’re going to cancel my order because I only ordered one cheap, refurbished battery, AND they have to pay for the shipping.” However, this was not the case at all. Today I received an email from a friendly operations manager. She initially informed me of some bad news. :/
It seems the delay in shipping is because they somehow managed to oversell these refurbished Lifepower4 batteries which meant they did not have enough to fulfill my order. I was devastated. Well, that’s a bit dramatic, but I was definitely bummed out. However, as I continued to read through the friendly email from the operations manager I realized they will, indeed, be fulfilling my order but with a NEW Lifepower4 battery at no additional cost to me. This is excellent news.
I just felt I needed to share my good experience with the community. The only other item I’ve purchased from SS is a 3kW EG4 inverter/charger that I purchased last year (again, slowly but surely piecing a system together). It’s not like I dropped $10-20k on a full system. I purchased a single refurb battery with free shipping. They could have easily sent me a “Sorry, we had to cancel your order…” email but instead they chose to take care of the customer and for that I am very grateful.

The point is, they didn’t have to do that, but I’m very happy they did.

Good to hear that they honored their end of the deal.

Just out of curiousity, does Signature Solar charge sales tax? Specifically when shipping to Nevada. I ask because Solar Sovereign (a reseller for Signature Solar, also located in Texas) does not charge sales tax.

I'm confused, since both companies operate out of Texas, and when I put the identical items in my cart and shipping to Nevada, Signature Solar adds sales tax while Solar Sovereign does not.

Just out of curiousity, does Signature Solar charge sales tax? Specifically when shipping to Nevada. I ask because Solar Sovereign (a reseller for Signature Solar, also located in Texas) does not charge sales tax.

I'm confused, since both companies operate out of Texas, and when I put the identical items in my cart and shipping to Nevada, Signature Solar adds sales tax while Solar Sovereign does not.
Larger volume sales companies are more likely to be audited by States so they are better off collecting the sales tax from you rather than having to pay the taxes later themselves. States don't waste their time on smaller companies.

Very very cool...congrats! ?

Curious, what is the warranty on refurbished batteries?

My order was not charged sales tax and I live in Florida. ??

Correct me if wrong, but I believe the "internet tax-free" stuff is going away (various lawsuits have gone the states way), or is already gone? Starting with big companies now charging everybody sales tax per their residence state's rate?

Amazon now charges me sales tax for Colorado, even if I buy from a vendor in another state ...

Technically, if I purchase something from anywhere else, Colorado expects me to pay the sales tax ... as this is next to impossible to achieve, reporting and payment wise, Colorado makes Amazon do it for me (my purchases on Amazon). Other vendors are following suit ...

No more (or very few remaining) tax-free internet purchases ...

Correct me if wrong, but I believe the "internet tax-free" stuff is going away (various lawsuits have gone the states way), or is already gone? Starting with big companies now charging everybody sales tax per their residence state's rate?

Amazon now charges me sales tax for Colorado, even if I buy from a vendor in another state ...

Technically, if I purchase something from anywhere else, Colorado expects me to pay the sales tax ... as this is next to impossible to achieve, reporting and payment wise, Colorado makes Amazon do it for me (my purchases on Amazon). Other vendors are following suit ...

No more (or very few remaining) tax-free internet purchases ...
States such as Minnesota are supposed to be tax free on solar related gear. I know of one other person who said they had to call and talk to a person to get that taken care of so their SS items wouldn't have sales tax since the online order system doesn't handle that case.

They used to NOT charge sales tax to NV, but now they do.

The way the state code is written, an out of state vendor doesn't have to charge sale tax until they go over $100,000 of total sales to the state of NV, then they have to charge sales tax.

I got lucky in that I got most of my SS equipment just before they started charging. It was good while it lasted...

I know a lot of people complain about SS, and maybe some of it was deserved a while back.

But for me, all of my experiences with them have been in the last 6 months.. (and there have been multiple for various reasons.. firmware suggestions, troubleshooting a comms hub issue, etc). and so far, every interaction I've had with support has been stellar.

I'm not saying you won't get a bad experience today, even though I haven't. But I am saying, I think a lot of people may have had a bad experience a while back and just assume that nothing has changed.

They haven't failed yet, and I think they are in this for the right reasons. For that I hope they continue to succeed. Thanks for sharing this experience OP. The positivity is good. A while back I bought the 3kw inverters and the next day or week so they released the 6500EX, signature solar made it easy to return the 3000s for no reason other than to upgrade.

California has a "use" tax on its tax forms for all purchases including internet sales. In other words, California requires you to pay sales tax for out of state purchases that were not taxed.

Contacted SS yesterday regarding two panels that are leaking sealant between frame and glass. Installed panels only 8 weeks ago. The pallet was heavily damaged in shipment and SS said to accept damaged shipment. I believe panels were stressed and weakened due to not being secure on the pallet and literally rokin and rollin on the pallet. Hopefully SS helps and somehow replaces the panels. Possibly with manufacturer Solarever. Ordered three extra panels but three were damaged in shipment so I dont have replacements. Will "toss a bone" if assistance is provided...

California has a "use" tax on its tax forms for all purchases including internet sales. In other words, California requires you to pay sales tax for out of state purchases that were not taxed.
I'm pretty sure is true in every state that has a sales tax. At least above maybe some low minimum.

It's just hardly ever pursued. Remember when Amazon was tax free in California? We all used that for years and hardly anyone actually filed it.

I'm pretty sure is true in every state that has a sales tax. At least above maybe some low minimum.

It's just hardly ever pursued. Remember when Amazon was tax free in California? We all used that for years and hardly anyone actually filed it.

Of course I remember. lol Ebay too....

Back