diy solar

diy solar

just made my first order

tilroh

Well, I'm all in, just ordered:

8pcs Grade A+Brand New CATL 3.2V 300Ah 302Ah 310Ah Lifepo4 Battery 24V Solar Cell Battery for solar system

from Vicky Peng at Basen.
$1,676.25 AUD including shipping and $48 PayPal fee. Now the wait begans and the ordering of BMS and boxes.

Thanks for all the guidance diysolar!

Got my email recite and for Trade Terms see:

DAP:When the goods arrive at the destination place, you need to unload the goods and do the import customs clearance, and pay the import duty as well as any other destination port fees.

Wonder what this means?

When I order my batteries from BASEN, the invoice also shows as DAP instead of DDP (Delivered Duty Paid) and I got real worry about paying the duty and the paper works, but it turns out to be DDP as I wanted and as confirmed by BASEN, the DAP may have been default on the invoice. You can clarify that with BASEN to be sure.

Last edited:
When I order my batteries from BASEN, the invoice also shows as DAP instead of DDP (Delivered Duty Paid) and I got real worry about paying the duty and the paper works, but it turns out to be DDP as I wanted and as confirmed by BASEN, the DAP may have been default on the invoice. You can clarify that with BASEN to be sure.
thanks Bud, I've asked Vicky if my order will be or can be, shipped DDP.

I asked and Vicky said: "When batteries are transported to Australia, we can only provide DAP service, which requires buyers to pay their own taxes."

just means you pay the import charge which will be determined on a case by case basis at the customs office depending upon value of items and corresponding tax bracket. (electronics vs stuffed bears vs whatever?) Its the same as Japan or close enough I cannot tell the difference.

I asked and Vicky said: "When batteries are transported to Australia, we can only provide DAP service, which requires buyers to pay their own taxes."
I had a similar situation with a quote from Luyuan. I didn't go ahead with it in the end. Could it just be potential GST?

There were two heavy cardboard boxes by the garage door when I got home. Inside were 8, 302ah Basen cells weighing 5.4kg each. Volts was 3.23 out of the box. The diysolar code got me double bus bars. A carpenters square showed the cells weren't bulging. My Phone won't read the QR codes maybe your's will. I ordered the "8pcs Grade A+Brand New CATL 3.2V 300Ah 302Ah 310Ah" on 17-7-21 (to Australia) from Vick Peng at Shenzhen Basen Technology Co., Ltd. I'm top equalizing now.

Attachments

• 302 cells battery box.jpeg
    302 cells battery box.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 302 cells battery bus bars.jpeg
    302 cells battery bus bars.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 302 cells battery cell label.jpeg
    302 cells battery cell label.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 302 cells battery QR .jpeg
    302 cells battery QR .jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 302 cells battery top equalizing.jpeg
    302 cells battery top equalizing.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 12
I balanced, charged and load tested with an old hair dryer on Low. JBD BMSs showed ~ 440w and 30-34amps. Batteries ran for exactly 9hrs before the first cell hit 2.5v and shut down. Both BMSs show a Delta of 0.001 at 88%. I installed the batteries in the boat and tested. Top speed was 5.8kts at 137a. Best cruse seems to be 4kts pulling 33a. I'm delighted with the batteries and fixed pod 2.2kw motor. Here's a 1 minute video of speed run and back-down.

I'm looking for a small (less than 4") battery monitor or just an amp gauge. Haven't seen anything on ebay I like. This comes the closest. Any suggestions? Naturally splash proof is desirable.

Last edited:

Well, I'm all in, just ordered:

8pcs Grade A+Brand New CATL 3.2V 300Ah 302Ah 310Ah Lifepo4 Battery 24V Solar Cell Battery for solar system

from Vicky Peng at Basen.
$1,676.25 AUD including shipping and $48 PayPal fee. Now the wait begans and the ordering of BMS and boxes.

Thanks for all the guidance diysolar!

Got my email recite and for Trade Terms see:

DAP:When the goods arrive at the destination place, you need to unload the goods and do the import customs clearance, and pay the import duty as well as any other destination port fees.

Wonder what this means?
How did DAP work for you? Did you have to deal with an agent in australia? About to order from Amy Peng and they claim same thing no DDP in australia.

I'm delighted with my CATL cells from Vicky Peng at Basen. I've power cycled them a few times and they actually are 300Ahs. Using 2 inverters, an old hair dryer and a heatgun, I tested at 90A for 1.5 hours with no hot terminals in my set up (after I tightened a loose fitting).
The cells are resting at about 70% for storage.
When checking the battery terminals, I left off a sensor wire and got some crazy readings on one BMS. I reattached the wire but now the BMSs are out of sync.

BMSs reading.jpg

FP batts open.JPG
Cells in battery boxes with a JBD 150A BMS in each. Cables on the left go to the 24v 40a charger and 2.2kw motor, Anderson plug on the right is Aux out for a inverter to run the freezer and fridge during power outages.

FP bags fix to thwart.JPG
With the thwart and stow bags in place the batteries are hardly noticeable.

FP mounted, painted.jpeg

The business end.

I'm delighted with my CATL cells from Vicky Peng at Basen. I've power cycled them a few times and they actually are 300Ahs. Using 2 inverters, an old hair dryer and a heatgun, I tested at 90A for 1.5 hours with no hot terminals in my set up (after I tightened a loose fitting).
The cells are resting at about 70% for storage.
When checking the battery terminals, I left off a sensor wire and got some crazy readings on one BMS. I reattached the wire but now the BMSs are out of sync.

View attachment 86102

View attachment 86103
Cells in battery boxes with a JBD 150A BMS in each. Cables on the left go to the 24v 40a charger and 2.2kw motor, Anderson plug on the right is Aux out for a inverter to run the freezer and fridge during power outages.

View attachment 86104
With the thwart and stow bags in place the batteries are hardly noticeable.

View attachment 86105

The business end.
Looks like a fun project. Watched your video and noticed a bit of cavitation when you applied power. is there anyway you can adjust the output for a little less power when starting out? or possibly you need a different pitch prop for the power of the electric motor(s) you are using?

Looks like a fun project. Watched your video and noticed a bit of cavitation when you applied power. is there anyway you can adjust the output for a little less power when starting out? or possibly you need a different pitch prop for the power of the electric motor(s) you are using?
Thanks Ken, it's been a challenge. In order for the prop to be protected by the keel, it has to be closer to the surface of the water than is idea. The result is the cavitation you saw. However it only happens when applying full throttle in reverse for an emergency stop or WOT fwd from stationary. It never cavitates in normal operation.

Thanks Ken, it's been a challenge. In order for the prop to be protected by the keel, it has to be closer to the surface of the water than is idea. The result is the cavitation you saw. However it only happens when applying full throttle in reverse for an emergency stop or WOT fwd from stationary. It never cavitates in normal operation.
so no cavitation when under way? That's good cavitation can damage a screw pretty quickly when under power.

Just out of curiosity what kind of electric motor or setup was it? any link to the build and the parts used? I want to fish in several lakes where using a gasoline engine is prohibited but electrics are OK.
Fuji five lakes area, and they have huge trout that come down through the mountain streams and end up in the lakes. I really really love the taste, but you got to get out in the middle to get them.

Just out of curiosity what kind of electric motor or setup was it? any link to the build and the parts used? I want to fish in several lakes where using a gasoline engine is prohibited but electrics are OK.
Fuji five lakes area, and they have huge trout that come down through the mountain streams and end up in the lakes. I really really love the taste, but you got to get out in the middle to get them.
I bought a Aquamot 2.2 Fixed Pod motor with folding prop for $3k Euros. It included the motor & controller, throttle, battery gauge and cables. Aquamot provides a custom wedge so the motor is level when bolted to the hull. I'm very happy with the motor, it's powerful and quiet. However at this stage, I can not recomend it for salt water use b/c of electrolysis eating up the zinc after a few days in salt water. It might be the marina - further testing to be done.

BTW, 1 Ltr of petrol contains 8kWs of energy. My batteries contain 7.5kWs and weigh 50kGs. My shop 2kW generator used 4.5 Lts of petrol to charge the batteries 2/3s full from flat. There ain't no substitute for oil, yet.

Back