diy solar

diy solar

Keep cells balanced

sunrise

My 105ah x 2 batteries are already installed in my TT. the problem is that they are no longer well balanced, I have one cell at 3.6v and others are at 3.4. the whole bank would not be able to get much above 14v as the 3.6v cell would quickly trigger overvoltage protection. I have top-balanced all cells prior to the final installation.

I have 2 questions
1) Will the cells drift further apart? right now it's still ok, the curve is very steep above 3.4v so I am not really losing much capacity, but worried this would become worse.
2) Is there any way to slowly rebalance them with a certain voltage/current? I know the BMS balancing is weak, but I am wondering if given it long enough time it will eventually do its job? I no longer have the luxury to put the cells in parallel and rebalance them using original method.

Thanks!

You could manually bleed off the high cells with a resistor ... a search on here will find the how to do that.

What BMS are you using?

They are pretty clean, I use neither. Note that for most of SOC they are very close, like 0.003 - 0.01v delta

when you open the BMS app do you see “balancing” in dark next to that cell (Not grayed out). If you’re doing it in your phone (iOS) you might have to landscape view for it to appear properly.

How do you have your batteries wired? Are you charging/discharging from the + and - on one battery (wrong) or + on one battery, - on the other battery (correct) or ?

How do you have your batteries wired? Are you charging/discharging from the + and - on one battery (wrong) or + on one battery, - on the other battery (correct) or ?
2 batteries in parallel, - on one battery, + on the other battery. Is this important? they are paralleled with 8 inch 4awg wires, I did the correct way you said but more for better organization reason.

I also set the balance threshold to 0.02v, which is default I think, should I lower it to 0.01v to get balancing kicked in earlier?
Thanks!

when you open the BMS app do you see “balancing” in dark next to that cell (Not grayed out). If you’re doing it in your phone (iOS) you might have to landscape view for it to appear properly.
Yes, but at the 3.5v the BMS just can't keep up with the rapid voltage rising.

the whole bank would not be able to get much above 14v
I am a conservative charger and would make this the top charge voltage. There is dang little capacity above 14v.

These charts (second one in particular) shows 99% full somewhere between 13.5v and 13.8v, but look for yourself.

I charge LiFePO4 to 13.8v.

I am a conservative charger and would make this the top charge voltage. There is dang little capacity above 14v.

These charts (second one in particular) shows 99% full somewhere between 13.5v and 13.8v, but look for yourself.

My converter doesn't have programable voltage, it's 14.6 bulk or 13.6 :(

To clarify I wasn't chasing the last 1% capacity, the problem I have is that the BMS voltage cut off is driving the converter crazy, when cutoff happens, the 3.65v cell will slowly drop for a few minutes, then it opens the circuit again, converter fan start spinning, for a minute or even less than that, cut-off again, then repeat.

I might try this - when cell reaches 3.45(13.8/4)v, and charge stops, maybe the voltage falling back will be slower and it won't trigger the converter so frequently.

Could you please share your BMS settings like

balance delta threshold and minimal voltage.
high voltage protection voltage, as well as resume voltage. (both cell level and pack level)
low voltage protection voltage, as well as resume voltage. (both cell level and pack level)

Thanks a lot!

To clarify I wasn't chasing the last 1% capacity, the problem I have is that the BMS voltage cut off is driving the converter crazy, when cutoff happens, the 3.65v cell will slowly drop for a few minutes, then it opens the circuit again, converter fan start spinning, for a minute or even less than that, cut-off again, then repeat.
Turn the converter off 4 hours minimum. Maybe on just once a day.

What converter is it BTW?

Ive seen several different lifepo4 charts. Is there a qualified authoritative reference for that data?

Back