diy solar

diy solar

Leaf batteries worth it still?

OhYou_

Are Leaf battery modules worth it still?
I have a BMS balancing module I got for basically free, and have about 1/3 the components for a per-cell LVD from my current lead acid setup.
It looks to me like they are still a good buy. for my use case, I can get 4.1kw (as measured by the seller) for just about $700us.

Also, per-cell OVP, is it a good idea or an unnecessary cost? My balance module is fairly weak but I could also just shave off the top 10% of capacity for safety instead and have a whole pack OVP.

I think OVP protection is necessary. Exceeding max cell voltage will damage cells. If they were LiFePO4, not too exciting but damaging. Leaf, I'm not sure the risk.

For about twice the price, $1500, you can get 5kWh LiFePO4 server rack battery.

Does 4 or 5kWh meet your needs?

eh I found that comparing used cells to new cells was stupid, and then found a few solutions using stacks of cylindrical cells for similar capacity at 2/3 the price.

4kw is about the minimum, I currently have 3.6 but I'm pretty sure it's significantly degraded.
though the advantage with the leafy modules is that they will always be available and I can just buy more in a year or two vs a bunch of random repurposed packs or combining various wear level lifepo4 packs.

our leaf maybe 8 years old but well looked after and the 24kw batt pack is still at 87% soh lost one bare on the dash due to ev price crash i was considering useing the battery and scrapping the car . so if you know the soh of the battery some are still worth it , also looking at kia niro 9kw batteries

Back