diy solar

diy solar

LFP Powerwall

Jejochen

Solar Enthusiast
a few pictures of my own built 'home energy system'. I run my house, workshop and if needed charge my tesla model S with it.
currently 3 multiplus 2 5 kVa units for 3-phase system, 48 V battery: 3 banks of 16 200 Ah cells, monitored by batrium. The victron system runs the ESS template. One of the features is, the system never drops below 20 % of the capacity as long as there is grid power. If the grid should fail when the battery is 'empty', the system still uses the last 20 % that was kept as reserve.
My cells on the pictures are sold, and 96 new 280 cells are on the way. The cabinet will be replaced with a custum lasered metal cabinet, by my friend who has a metal workshop. it will feature some better cabling options too, and the color control, batrium, etc will each has its place on the cabinet.
I have 40 240W panels on a grid tied inverter, wich is monitored by the victron with 2 energymeters. The mppt on the pic is not in use, as the extra 400 W solar panels are delayed due to covid19.

Attachments

• 20200520_220828.jpg
    20200520_220828.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 524
  • 20200520_220833.jpg
    20200520_220833.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 528
  • 20200520_220850.jpg
    20200520_220850.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 583
  • 20200520_220902.jpg
    20200520_220902.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 592
  • Screenshot_20200520-222658_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200520-222658_Samsung Internet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 565
a few pictures of my own built 'home energy system'. I run my house, workshop and if needed charge my tesla model S with it.
currently 3 multiplus 2 5 kVa units for 3-phase system, 48 V battery: 3 banks of 16 200 Ah cells, monitored by batrium. The victron system runs the ESS template. One of the features is, the system never drops below 20 % of the capacity as long as there is grid power. If the grid should fail when the battery is 'empty', the system still uses the last 20 % that was kept as reserve.
My cells on the pictures are sold, and 96 new 280 cells are on the way. The cabinet will be replaced with a custum lasered metal cabinet, by my friend who has a metal workshop. it will feature some better cabling options too, and the color control, batrium, etc will each has its place on the cabinet.
I have 40 240W panels on a grid tied inverter, wich is monitored by the victron with 2 energymeters. The mppt on the pic is not in use, as the extra 400 W solar panels are delayed due to covid19.

@Jejochen thanks for sending, looks good!

How do you like your Batrium? Do you notice the cells being balanced by the BMS? I wonder how well it will do with your eventual pack size? Also, have you determined how you will setup your new pack, any cells in parallel or just separate packs then paralleled? Thanks !

Beautiful! I'd love to have this setup! Well, I'd settle for the 40 panels, ha.

@Jejochen thanks for sending, looks good!

How do you like your Batrium? Do you notice the cells being balanced by the BMS? I wonder how well it will do with your eventual pack size? Also, have you determined how you will setup your new pack, any cells in parallel or just separate packs then paralleled? Thanks !

The batrium is excellent, the support is great also if needed. It will handled the new packs very well.
It will all be seperate packs, then paralleled, that way i can monitor each cell individually

The batrium is excellent, the support is great also if needed. It will handled the new packs very well.
It will all be seperate packs, then paralleled, that way i can monitor each cell individually

@Jejochen I have done some research on Batrium and they appear to have a solid product line. Which model did you end up using and are you able to monitor all cells with just one unit or did you have to buy a BMS for each pack? Hard to tell from you photo. Thanks

The watchmon 4. Only 1 main unit is needed. Per cell (or cellgroup) 1 blockmon is needed. So the setup on my picture contains 1 watchmon 4 and 48 blockmons.
A max of 196 (!!) cells can be monitored

@Jejochen Forgot that they had that expansion capability!

Are you using any relays and if so are you using Batrium's or another vendor? If I go this route I was thinking of leveraging the TE Connectivity Kilovac EV200AAANA Contactor 500A given the price and support for 12-24v control. OR... I was thinking of leveraging a shunt trip breaker, got the idea from this video ABB Shunt-Trip Breaker to the Batrium WatchMon 4 BMS

Thanks

i don't use a relay at this time (there are 200 A fuses before the inverters though), but in the new setup with the 280 Ah cells, i will foresee a shunt trip breaker.

awesome setup jochen.
iam planning about the same for my house, but with 1 Multiplus for 1 phase first. maybe adding later another 2 they can be linked together later as i know. planning on 200Ah or 280Ah 16 cell setup first and extension + 1 or 2 banks later.
i think you choose watchmon 4 for better balancing power. i planned watchman 7 (centralised master), but with lower balancing.
i think your decentralised balancing for each cell is better due to higher balancing needs of these large cells.
do you had any issues with controlling victron ESS ? or is it done in the automatic mode (charging / discharging when solar is available).
why change to laser cutted cabinet, the metal frame is sufficent ?
do you had any issues with the old LFP cells ?
bye tobias

awesome setup jochen.
iam planning about the same for my house, but with 1 Multiplus for 1 phase first. maybe adding later another 2 they can be linked together later as i know. planning on 200Ah or 280Ah 16 cell setup first and extension + 1 or 2 banks later.
i think you choose watchmon 4 for better balancing power. i planned watchman 7 (centralised master), but with lower balancing.
i think your decentralised balancing for each cell is better due to higher balancing needs of these large cells.
do you had any issues with controlling victron ESS ? or is it done in the automatic mode (charging / discharging when solar is available).
why change to laser cutted cabinet, the metal frame is sufficent ?
do you had any issues with the old LFP cells ?
bye tobias

no issues, victron ess works like a charm
automatic mode. main goal for ess is to keep the main electricity meter on 0. So any excess solar power on top of your usage is stored. When the sunpower gets below the demand, battery kicks in and tops off.
i change to another cabinet because the new 280 Ah cells don't match in the current one. (and i have a new project now, to completely integrate every system in the cabinet, pics will follow)
It weren't old lfp cells (bought them as new 200 Ah), had no issues with it. Only sold them because i wanted bigger capacity.

why do you choose 3 phases for battery setup?
high output power demand ? or regulations where you life ?
do you choose the decentralised batrium watchmon due to the need of high balancing power ?

why do you choose 3 phases for battery setup?
high output power demand ? or regulations where you life ?
do you choose the decentralised batrium watchmon due to the need of high balancing power ?
Very simpel, 3/4 of the machines at my workshop run on 3 phase, my tesla charger runs on 3 phase, my 7500W induction cooker runs on 3 phase, and all other appliences are divided over the 3 phases...

Nikola Tesla taught Edison a thing or two. Maybe even three :ROFLMAO:
My 2016 Tesla uses 3 Phase power. My 2019 Tesla uses a permanent magnet motor. If rare earth magnets had been known back then Tesla may have discovered efficiency as well.

So the mounting of the news cells and rebuilding the system has begun
View attachment 21756View attachment 21757

Excellent! I put mine in two 16s2p banks (64 total). Looks like you have 96 there, that is some great storage capacity. I'd be interested to know if you are planning on isolating each bank with with disconnects that the Batrium can control or just one main one? I dumped my original plan to use a Chargery and am waiting on a Watchmon4 at the moment but I am thinking about getting a 300a shunt trip breaker that the BMS would control, ABB probably.

Excellent! I put mine in two 16s2p banks (64 total). Looks like you have 96 there, that is some great storage capacity. I'd be interested to know if you are planning on isolating each bank with with disconnects that the Batrium can control or just one main one? I dumped my original plan to use a Chargery and am waiting on a Watchmon4 at the moment but I am thinking about getting a 300a shunt trip breaker that the BMS would control, ABB probably.
Each bank will have its own fuse, and all banks together on 1 line will be connected to a shunt trip breaker, controlled by the batrium. (ABB also)

And the system works again!
Now i have 86 kWh lifepo4 in 6 banks, so 48 V system. Each cell has its monitor and bms is batrium watchmon 4. 3 multiplus2 5000 kva units in 3 phase. The cells are the xuba 280ah cells (EVE)
10 kW grid tied inverter with 10kWp solar, and two mppt's with 9.6 kWp solar.
The dashboard pic attached is taken in the morning.
The setup is temporarily, for proof of work, and testing of the cells. Once all is ok, all will be mounted tidy, and the shelves will be turned into a tidy cabinet.
20200906_091549.jpg
Screenshot_20200906-093835_Samsung Internet.jpg
20200906_091132.jpg

Back