diy solar

diy solar

Li-ion Off Grid Cold Climate System

An elephant and a giraffe are both made up of mostly water. Are they the same?
They are obviously more alike than different, just like all lithium based battery chemistries. Which may explain why the scientists who create and improve these chemistries and write the peer-reviewed, published, papers consider them all Lithium Ion cells. Your argument is with someone other than posters in a DIY forum. It is not an argument you will hear at MIT. Li-Ion, LiPo, and LiFePo4 are an easy way for laymen to differentiate battery types. Continue tilting at windmills if it makes you feel better, but I suspect the real experts will tell you you are wrong.

They are obviously more alike than different, just like all lithium based battery chemistries. Which may explain why the scientists who create and improve these chemistries and write the peer-reviewed, published, papers consider them all Lithium Ion cells. Your argument is with someone other than posters in a DIY forum. It is not an argument you will hear at MIT. Li-Ion, LiPo, and LiFePo4 are an easy way for laymen to differentiate battery types. Continue tilting at windmills if it makes you feel better, but I suspect the real experts will tell you you are wrong.
Ok
You win. lol

This will be my first winter with Trophy batteries. I just completed an insulated closet with a 200 watt heater hooked up to a wifi controlled thermostat. It's only been around 28F so far, but the closest is staying nicely at 60F with minimal draw on the system. I'd need a track mounted forklift to pull my batteries out, and winter is my favorite time to use my cabin, anyway..

There's no magic here.
Life Po4 is expensive, an investment.
Lives long, below zero charging IS the downside.
It's all about what you need it to do, in YOUR circumstances.
I have an SOK 206.
In my case? Perfect.
In my heated space, low demand for juice when I show up after weeks of dead cold.
Somebody is still buying old lead acid batteries, seems crazy to ME.
Live yur life. brother.

Offgrid folks are easy to spot.
Frankly, if you're solar n still discussing peak/offpeak rates? Eh, you're a lame twat.
You 'really wanna' ditch em, but your fat wife won't accept the lifestyle change.
Good luck

I just got a bunch of Trophy batteries for my camp. They have heaters in them. I built a shed that I'm insulating to house them. My place gets pretty cold (up north, at elevation). I'm also building an insulated cocoon for the batteries. I'm hopeful that will keep them warm enough to charge... I'll find out next winter...
Please let us know how you make out. Hoping it works out well for you.

Please let us know how you make out. Hoping it works out well for you.
So far they’ve been working great. It’s been a relatively mild winter with a couple of brief cold snaps. My 500 watt ceramic heater keeps the little battery closet at 20C and only runs about once an hour for 5 minutes, even when its really cold. One thing I’ve learned is that the battery communication and built in display is not useful for SOC monitoring if you have low amp draw because the BMS won’t record any power being pulled from the battery. My batteriies would regularly report 100% SOC when they were probably at 75%. I installed a victron shunt and I seem to be getting a much more realistic estimate of SOC. I did put a Wi-Fi thermometer in the battery cabinet so I can monitor the temperature remotely. It’s always at a stable 20C. My big lesson learned is that closed loop comms isn’t necessary, as a shunt or inverter based shunt is more accurate . I don’t care what the individual cells are doing, life is too short to monitor that stuff regularly, but it’s good to have for diagnostics. In short, I don’t think I’ve actually put the internal Trophy heaters to a test this winter since I keep them warm enough with a cabinet heater, but its more of a n insurance policy if that heater fails .

Back