diy solar

diy solar

Incompetence from Signature Solar & Solar Sovereign

Status
Not open for further replies.

supersignman

This forum has been a tremendous help to me over the years so I wanted to take the time to document my recent experiences with Signature Solar and Solar Sovereign for the community members here.

I'm in the process of helping a friend put together a complete solar system so I told him where I saw that Signature Solar had a free shipping offer on their Memorial day sale. He called them on Tues, May 28 and placed the order over the phone for one of their complete packages including an AIO, batteries & panels. He asked them when he placed the order if they had everything in stock and when it would ship out. They said everything was in stock and would ship as soon as they could get it palleted up (Incompetence #1).

On Fri, May 31, my friend still had not received a tracking number so he call Signature Solar to make sure his order had shipped. They told him the batteries were on back order and they expected to receive them mid-July. He told them to go ahead and ship everything else then and he would wait on the batteries. They told him they couldn't split the shipment because that was against company policy. He told them to cancel that order then and place a new order for the AIO & panels and a separate order for the batteries. They told him that would put him at the end of the line which would then give his AIO to another customer ahead of him and the AIO was also out of stock.

He called me that weekend trying to figure out what to do. I told him to cancel the order and we would order separate components from different vendors. He called Mon, June 3 and cancelled the order. They called him back later that day and asked him if he was sure he wanted to cancel. He told them the story and they said they could offer him some upgraded batteries and ship out everything now but he would have to pay the difference for the upgraded batteries. He told them to put the money back into his account and leave him alone.

He then came to my shop and we put together a package with different components from other vendors and I saw where Solar Sovereign had a free shipping offer on all orders over $2K. They also had a really good price advertised on a pallet of REC panels so I told him I would go ahead and order them before they sold out and he could pay me back. I placed the order online Wed, Jun 5. On Fri, Jun 7, I called Solar Sovereign because I hadn't received a tracking number and their website says "Fast Shipping, We know you hate waiting, we do too." They said they were in stock and they would ship out on Mon, Jun 10 or Tues, Jun 11. I called back Mon, Jun 10 and talked with Jared who said he would "go check in the warehouse to make sure they were in stock" and call me back in a few minutes (Incompetence #2). A couple of hours went by and I never heard from him so I called him back. At this point the story changed and he said he sent an email to "the warehouse" but hadn't heard back from them and he would let me know as soon as he heard something.

I never heard anything so I called Solar Sovereign again on Tues, Jun 11 and talked with Stephan. He said "the warehouse" is showing that my order is in process so it should be shipping that day and he would send me a tracking number. When I still hadn't received a tracking number on Wed, Jun 12, I called back again and got Jared on the phone again this time. He said "the warehouse" still hadn't gotten them a tracking number but he could see where my order had been allocated and he would let me know ASAP once he got the tracking number. He also said he tried to call "the warehouse" but they weren't answering the phone. At this point I directly asked him if he was drop shipping these from another company and he told me they were shipping from Solar Sovereign but he couldn't get anyone there to answer his questions. His computer was showing my panels were allocated though and were shipping.

On Thurs, Jun 13 when I still hadn't heard back from Solar Sovereign, I called Signature Solar myself and talked with Amanda. I explained the whole situation and asked her if she could look up my order based on my shipping address under the Solar Sovereign account and tell me what the status was because Jared said Signature Solar wouldn't call him back or send him a tracking number. She looked it up and told me that shipment was on back order and they didn't know when their new stock would be in. I thanked her and called Solar Sovereign to cancel my order. I talked with Jared again and he said he would get my refund processed right away. I asked if he would email me a confirmation showing the refund and he said he would in 15 minutes (Incompetence # ?).

Today is Fri, Jun 14 and I still haven't gotten a refund confirmation and my credit card account isn't showing any refund in process. This has been a 3 week ordeal so I wanted to let everyone know that a deal which seems too good to be true... probably is. Also, Signature Solar was going to be in violation of the Federal Trade Commission law know as the "30 day rule" that states an order must be shipped within 30 days of a credit card transaction. The initial order my friend placed was going to be at least 45 days until it shipped. It would be funny if their credit card processing was shut down one day.

Last edited:
This forum has been a tremendous help to me over the years so I wanted to take the time to document my recent experiences with Signature Solar and Solar Sovereign for the community members here.

I'm in the process of helping a friend put together a complete solar system so I told him where I saw that Signature Solar had a free shipping offer on their Memorial day sale. He called them on Tues, May 28 and placed the order over the phone for one of their complete packages including an AIO, batteries & panels. He asked them when he placed the order if they had everything in stock and when it would ship out. They said everything was in stock and would ship as soon as they could get it palleted up (Lie #1).

On Fri, May 31, my friend still had not received a tracking number so he call Signature Solar to make sure his order had shipped. They told him the batteries were on back order and they expected to receive them mid-July. He told them to go ahead and ship everything else then and he would wait on the batteries. They told him they couldn't split the shipment because that was against company policy. He told them to cancel that order then and place a new order for the AIO & panels and a separate order for the batteries. They told him that would put him at the end of the line which would then give his AIO to another customer ahead of him and the AIO was also out of stock.

He called me that weekend trying to figure out what to do. I told him to cancel the order and we would order separate components from different vendors. He called Mon, June 3 and cancelled the order. They called him back later that day and asked him if he was sure he wanted to cancel. He told them the story and they said they could offer him some upgraded batteries and ship out everything now but he would have to pay the difference for the upgraded batteries. He told them to put the money back into his account and leave him alone.

He then came to my shop and we put together a package with different components from other vendors and I saw where Solar Sovereign had a free shipping offer on all orders over $2K. They also had a really good price advertised on a pallet of REC panels so I told him I would go ahead and order them before they sold out and he could pay me back. I placed the order online Wed, Jun 5. On Fri, Jun 7, I called Solar Sovereign because I hadn't received a tracking number and their website says "Fast Shipping, We know you hate waiting, we do too." They said they were in stock and they would ship out on Mon, Jun 10 or Tues, Jun 11. I called back Mon, Jun 10 and talked with Jared who said he would "go check in the warehouse to make sure they were in stock" and call me back in a few minutes (Lie #2). A couple of hours went by and I never heard from him so I called him back. At this point the story changed and he said he sent an email to "the warehouse" but hadn't heard back from them and he would let me know as soon as he heard something.

I never heard anything so I called Solar Sovereign again on Tues, Jun 11 and talked with Stephan. He said "the warehouse" is showing that my order is in process so it should be shipping that day and he would send me a tracking number. When I still hadn't received a tracking number on Wed, Jun 12, I called back again and got Jared on the phone again this time. He said "the warehouse" still hadn't gotten them a tracking number but he could see where my order had been allocated and he would let me know ASAP once he got the tracking number. He also said he tried to call "the warehouse" but they weren't answering the phone. At this point I directly asked him if he was drop shipping these from another company and he told me they were shipping from Solar Sovereign but he couldn't get anyone there to answer his questions. His computer was showing my panels were allocated though and were shipping.

On Thurs, Jun 13 when I still hadn't heard back from Solar Sovereign, I called Signature Solar myself and talked with Amanda. I explained the whole situation and asked her if she could look up my order based on my shipping address under the Solar Sovereign account and tell me what the status was because Jared said Signature Solar wouldn't call him back or send him a tracking number. She looked it up and told me that shipment was on back order and they didn't know when their new stock would be in. I thanked her and called Solar Sovereign to cancel my order. I talked with Jared again and he said he would get my refund processed right away. I asked if he would email me a confirmation showing the refund and he said he would in 15 minutes (Lie # ?).

Today is Fri, Jun 14 and I still haven't gotten a refund confirmation and my credit card account isn't showing any refund in process. This has been a 3 week ordeal so I wanted to let everyone know that a deal which seems too good to be true... probably is. Also, Signature Solar was going to be in violation of the Federal Trade Commission law know as the "30 day rule" that states an order must be shipped within 30 days of a credit card transaction. The initial order my friend placed was going to be at least 45 days until it shipped. It would be funny if their credit card processing was shut down one day.

Pretty sure Solar Sovereign is a "sub distributor" of eg4/sig solar. So yes more than likely it's drop shipping out of sig solars warehouse.

Here's my story.

I ordered online 10 Aptos 370W on May 31st early am, to take advantage of their free shipping over $1000 promotion.

Nothing seen after the order confirmation email, so I engaged the chat bot a few days later just asking for status update. Bot couldn't help me when I provided the order number. Requested human, it said someone would get back via email.

Couple days later get shipment email with r&l tracking number, on June 6th. Great. Tracking shows invalid pro number but email says can take several days to show up.

Now it's the 14th and tracking number still shows invalid. So I'm pretty sure they just filed the initial shipment paperwork, to get me a tracking number, knowing that there's actually no stock available. I was worried when I initially ordered as sig solar was out of stock, so maybe sovereign just gambled we'd accept a couple week delay and counting?

Last edited:
"civil fines of up to $50,120 per violation for up to five years before the complaint,"

I can see bankruptcy on the horizon if they are prosecuted for it.

Last edited:
This is concerning. On Tuesday i ordered a whole pallet of Aptos 370w cells from Solar Sovereign as well as an EG4 PowerPro battery. They had a $200 off $3k coupon for fathers day. The panels still show in stock on Solar Sovereign, but out of stock at SignatureSolar. I don't mind if it takes a month to get my panels, but if they all out cant fulfill them, I will be pissed that they take so long to tell me i have to look elsewhere (while the tarrif news is making prices potentially unstable). If they are dropshipping from SignatureSolar, then ideally, their out of stock button would be in sync with SignatureSolar's, or at least they could do a daily check to ensure they don't oversell something for multiple days. Currently, i have no issue, but i guess im expecting if you havent gotten your panels, i might have my own issue with an order placed 2 weeks later. If they really arent good with stock issues, maybe they should reallocate the resources that are calling about abandoned carts with searching their suppliers stock and updating their stock as well. I got called a few hours after my $6400 order asking about my abandoned cart with an 6000xp.

@Supervstech

It is against forum policy to post this sort of complaint without also posting documents or supporting information. Sanitize the personal information but include enough data so the offending company can respond with their side.

And you need to hang around and respond to the thread - to many one time posters start this sort of thing without posting the whole story.

@Supervstech

It is against forum policy to post this sort of complaint without also posting documents or supporting information. Sanitize the personal information but include enough data so the offending company can respond with their side.

And you need to hang around and respond to the thread - to many one time posters start this sort of thing without posting the whole story.
I'm happy to provide documentation of my claims to an admin if required for "verification" but are you seriously suggesting the OP is just some make believe story from a competititor or something?

The most interesting bit here is the 30 day rule, and it may be true that Signature is routinely violating that in practice.

Other than that "expected violation" we have:

1. Signature unexpectedly delaying shipment (known hazard of doing business with them)

2. Solar sovereign being a drop shipping front for Signature of questionable value (known, and I do look down on that operation)

Overall I think part of this is an attitude from your side that you deserve to buy these products under different terms. I say you want cheap solar products, you deal with the vendors and they are what they are. It's like when a restaurant has good food and bad service, and people leave these reviews like they just cannot believe that the service is allowed to be that way. Sometimes if you want good soup you gotta deal with the soup nazi.

Not that there's really an alternative. NAZ has backordered me on an in stock product too. Idk, call up a Tesla installer or something, or play the game. Oh actually I think Current Connected is focusing on representing their stock in reality now, and trying to commit that if it says it's in stock it's really physically in stock.

The upgrade option for sooner delivery sounds like it was a decent offer from Signature to meet your needs.

Last edited:
I'm happy to provide documentation of my claims to an admin if required for "verification" but are you seriously suggesting the OP is just some make believe story from a competititor or something?

Not at all, seems pretty detailed for a 1 hit wonder - but it is forum policy to allow a balanced story that includes both sides of the story. Only fair to give them a chance to respond in the same public forum they are being tared and feathered in.

And I am not sure about signature solar's policy but every other place I order from doesn't charge the card until such time as the order ships. So they never violate any 30 day rule. And it gives them an incentive to ship things so they can book the charge $$

Last edited:
Not at all, seems pretty detailed for a 1 hit wonder - but it is forum policy to allow a balanced story that includes both sides of the story. Only fair to give them a chance to respond in the same public forum they are being tared and feathered in.
Sure, they are free to respond here, no need to expect immediate response or rush to judgement.

@Supervstech

What sort of documentation would you like to see? I've got it all. I can post the initial invoice my friend received from Signature Solar on May 28 and then the refund he received on his debit card. I can also post the invoice I received from Solar Sovereign on June 5 but I can't post my credit card refund until I receive it. Since I actually haven't received my refund yet I'd kind of like to remain somewhat anonymous in hopes that I actually receive it because I'd rather not have to proceed with legal action. I'll certainly post on here if/when Solar Sovereign refunds my credit card. My friend actually didn't have a problem with getting a refund from Signature Solar. We're just angry because of the lies / deception and the wasted time in having to deal with this.

The issue is not that they were out of stock on some items. That happens all the time... contact the customer and give them the option of another product or a refund. That's "business 101"... and if that happened I wouldn't have had a problem.. and certainly wouldn't have wasted my time in typing all this up.

And I am not sure about signature solar's policy but every other place I order from doesn't charge the card until such time as the order ships. So they never violate any 30 day rule. And it gives them an incentive to ship things so they can book the charge $$

You have twice cited forum policy without providing a citation. Would you provide? Thanks

What sort of documentation would you like to see? I've got it all. I can post the initial invoice my friend received from Signature Solar on May 28 and then the refund he received on his debit card. I can also post the invoice I received from Solar Sovereign on June 5 but I can't post my credit card refund until I receive it. Since I actually haven't received my refund yet I'd kind of like to remain somewhat anonymous in hopes that I actually receive it because I'd rather not have to proceed with legal action. I'll certainly post on here if/when Solar Sovereign refunds my credit card. My friend actually didn't have a problem with getting a refund from Signature Solar. We're just angry because of the lies / deception and the wasted time in having to deal with this.

The issue is not that they were out of stock on some items. That happens all the time... contact the customer and give them the option of another product or a refund. That's "business 101"... and if that happened I wouldn't have had a problem.. and certainly wouldn't have wasted my time in typing all this up.
Also, if you'll notice, I've been a member of the forum since Aug 2021. I just haven't posted any questions before because I've been able to find all the answers I've needed through the search function. Also, I'm somewhat of a solar newbie so I haven't felt qualified to answer anyone else's questions. I can assure you I'm not some competitor of either of those companies though. I really wish they would just run their businesses like they should be run. Maybe this will be a wake up call for somebody in management to tighten up? I know Will has posted several videos on the EG4 product line and they look like quality products to me... that's why I recommended them to my friend in the first place.

From how I read it they offered to ship immediately assuming he paid for the price difference to the more expensive upgrade model batteries. Basically pay us more, and we'll ship it now....
Yeah, because they were out of indoors and had outdoors in stock. Or is there an unheated and they offered heated?

Either way, I don't think this is some kind of scheme, just an honest offer to upgrade to what they have in stock.

Overall I think part of this is an attitude from your side that you deserve to buy these products under different terms. I say you want cheap solar products, you deal with the vendors and they are what they are. It's like when a restaurant has good food and bad service, and people leave these reviews like they just cannot believe that the service is allowed to be that way. Sometimes if you want good soup you gotta deal with the soup nazi.
We aren't expecting white linen service from these guys. But if it's actually a preorder and the panels are on a ship from China or vietnam etc and not in stock for relatively rapid shipment it should be listed as such. That's just bare minimum business operations.

Yeah, because they were out of indoors and had outdoors in stock. Or is there an unheated and they offered heated?

Either way, I don't think this is some kind of scheme, just an honest offer to upgrade to what they have in stock.
I think both are heated, indoor and outdoor.

We aren't expecting white linen service from these guys. But if it's actually a preorder and the panels are on a ship from China or vietnam etc and not in stock for relatively rapid shipment it should be listed as such. That's just bare minimum business operations.
So cancel the order and go somewhere else. But if there is nowhere else to go, then deal with it.

I mean sure, everybody can wish all they want but I find more joy in accepting reality. If Signature was a more premium retailer they'd charge more premium pricing, and that's not what we want. The truth is we want it this way.

Hi @supersignman

I'm so sorry you're having problems! This just doesn't sound right and we're going to look into it!
Would you mind DMing me the name and email on the account you're referring to? Let's get this cleared up.

You have twice cited forum policy without providing a citation. Would you provide? Thanks

Also, if you'll notice, I've been a member of the forum since Aug 2021. I just haven't posted any questions before because I've been able to find all the answers I've needed through the search function. Also, I'm somewhat of a solar newbie so I haven't felt qualified to answer anyone else's questions. I can assure you I'm not some competitor of either of those companies though. I really wish they would just run their businesses like they should be run. Maybe this will be a wake up call for somebody in management to tighten up? I know Will has posted several videos on the EG4 product line and they look like quality products to me... that's why I recommended them to my friend in the first place.

In the past there have been accounts that were posted from with complaints that only had one post but had been members for years.

NOTE - I am not out to start a war of any sort - just pointing out that we all need to be calm and let Jess respond

If it takes them another couple of weeks it's no biggie for me the price is too good to pass up, I just put in my timeline to backup the initial guy who really did get a bunch of horse crap peddled to him in terms of excuses.

Reactions: D71
If it takes them another couple of weeks it's no biggie for me the price is too good to pass up, I just put in my timeline to backup the initial guy who really did get a bunch of horse crap peddled to him in terms of excuses.
If you'd like to DM me as well, I can look into why your tracking code isn't working!

Hi @supersignman

I'm so sorry you're having problems! This just doesn't sound right and we're going to look into it!
Would you mind DMing me the name and email on the account you're referring to? Let's get this cleared up.
Thanks for the reply. There are actually no problems to clear up from Signature Solar. My friend received his refund and Amanda actually went out of her way to look up my shipping address in the pending orders from Solar Sovereign. She told me the pallet of REC panels were on back order and she didn't know when your new stock would be in. That's all I needed to know. There are a lot of places that sell solar panels.

My irritation stems from the fact that this ordeal has drug out over three weeks now from two different companies who seem joined at the hip. I had no idea that was the case when I placed the order with Solar Sovereign.

Also, you can thank me later for alerting you to the "30 day rule". If it's company policy for Signature Solar to immediately charge a credit / debit card for an order without knowing for sure all the items are in stock then you're setting yourself up for some serious legal trouble down the road. Signature Solar took over $8K out my friend's bank account without having the products in stock and then he had to call after three days to even find that information out. Granted, Signature Solar put the money back in, but there are timelines on any project like this with local contractors, etc. and that could have caused some serious problems on our end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diy solar

diy solar
Back