diy solar

diy solar

LiFePo battery continuity and solar charge controller weirdness.

yourunclefats

Disclaimer this is on a golf cart, but I picked up building lithium and some other tips here, hope I can get more guidance.
With my battery pack disconnected for the cart, and with no load, am I supposed to have continuity across the positive and negative of my individual Prismatic cells in a 24 cell series? Or continuity across the positive and negative terminal of my whole battery pack? With lead acids you do not get continuity across negative and positive with no load in my experience, however randomly on some of my cells I get continuity during one test, and no continuity 2 minutes later. But no matter what my entire battery pack has continuity with out load. Even disconnected the bms.
My second problem is I am using this 72 volt lithium battery to charge an onboard 12 volt to run 12 volt accessories. I am using a victron 100- 20 solar charge controller to keep my 12-volt charged. I have included a picture, and have my 72 volt battery plugged into the PV negative and positive and my 12-volt into the battery negative and positive. Every time I connect the PV positive or negative from the lithium to the controller, I get a big Spark. I do not have continuity across the PV terminals on the charge controller until I connect it to the lithium battery pack. The charge controller is also doing some weird things to my electrical system when plugged into the lithium, but when it is not plugged into the lithium my cart electrical system functions as normal. Could that be related to the continuity problem?

Thanks in advance!
1000016525.jpg

Last edited:
I think you'd be better off with a buck converter to run 12v accessories.

Unsure about continuity with lifepo4, i have only lead acid

I think you'd be better off with a buck converter to run 12v accessories.

Unsure about continuity with lifepo4, i have only lead acid
The cart has a built in buck for its built in lights, but it's only good for 20 amps. I have a winch, ac inverter, and and use the lead acid to jump start vehicles around the ranch every now and again.

Back