diy solar

diy solar

LiFePO4 batteries sorted by price per kWh

caseyx

Hello, I'd like to share a tool I made that sorts LiFePO4 batteries on Amazon by their price per kWh.

To be completely transparent:
- @Will Prowse has given me permission, as a one time exception, to post this.
- This site includes affiliate links associated with my Amazon account. If someone follows a link and makes a purchase, I would get a cut.
- Amazon only gives access to the data under the condition that it displays those unmodified affiliate links. The tool can't exist and not have affiliate links. It's Amazon's data, and Amazon's rules.
- You should not buy the cheapest batteries on Amazon. They are badly made as we've all seen in Will's teardown videos. These no-name companies disappear all the time, and you're taking a risk when you buy them. Near zero chance they will help you if you make a support or warranty claim.
- I highly recommend you watch one of Will's tear-downs on YouTube or recommendations before making a purchasing decision.

That said, I made this for myself to get an idea of the price per kWh of different brands and voltages and capacities after getting tired of manually entering data into spreadsheets. I hope you find it useful, and I am open to feedback.

Very nice!

I see an SLA battery in there...

Preferred behavior would be to open the link in a new window.
Thanks for the feedback!

Whoops, SLA battery should be gone now. I do some aggressive filtering to remove other chemistries and non-battery products, but one got through the cracks.

New windows as the default behavior is technically possible, but I prefer to give the user the choice to open it in a new tab by Ctrl-clicking on the link, or in the same window if that's what they prefer.

Thanks again!

Very nice tool! Amazon is not a place to buy raw cells compared to specialized vendors we use (~$120/kWh range). Another feature idea is to add review rating column and make it sortable from best review rating to worst and sort by amount of reviews.

Very nice tool! Amazon is not a place to buy raw cells compared to specialized vendors we use (~$120/kWh range). Another feature idea is to add review rating column and make it sortable from best review rating to worst and sort by amount of reviews.
That's a great idea. I already filter out products that have zero reviews to get rid of some of the most egregious scams.

Very useful, any way to remove those items that show as Unavailable?
Thank you, would to mind sharing which product(s) are unavailable to you so I can look into it? Please remove everything that comes after the "?" in the url so we don't accidentally put an affiliate link on this forum.

I try to filter them out if they just aren't in stock, but sometimes sellers just don't ship to some locations. They have a lot of control about where they ship to, for example lots of things they just don't ship to Hawaii or Alaska. probably because of cost. I've also noticed that some batteries won't ship to NY over a certain capacity, not sure why. Regulations?

Also this site is USA only for now unfortunately, sorry if I didn't make that clear. Each Amazon site (.ca, .co.uk, .de, etc) has its own rules and approval processes for getting access to the data for their country, and I haven't looked into that yet.

I had wondered if we were going to get a pcpartpicker for solar.

I think we could nearly use banners across the whole community warning people not to series 12v batteries into 24 or 48v. It's the biggest design mistake that beginners make and only learn about once it's too late.

The 300ah Nojoke is $567.59. I think I'm going to buy one tomorrow morning.
Its hard to justify buying camping gear in the dead of winter but that's a pretty good price in my opinion.

Well, shame on me for waiting. The price went up the $657 overnight.

Back