diy solar

diy solar

LiFePO4 heating pad for cold temperatures

If you are trying to use a lifepo4 battery in freezing cold temperatures, battle born just released a 12v heat pad for keeping the batteries warm without melting the case. This pad should work for any standard lifepo4 battery. Just slap it under your batteries and connect it to 12v and you are done.

I think it is over priced though. It can be found here: Click Here for battle born heater pad

If you cannot afford the battle born pad, you can use a septic tank heater pad. It works in the same way but may possibly melt your battery case if you are not careful. You can avoid this by adding some protection or a way to distribute the heat across your entire battery bank. I would personally put the batteries in a insulated container, then add a thin sheet of conductive material like sheet aluminum over the pad so that the heat it produces can warm up your entire battery bank.

Cheaper heater pad source: Click here for heater pad
Scrap that found the answer.

I'd understand that the targets should be to heat up the air inside the batt' box above freezing which would affect the object temperature of the battery cells. In this case it wouldn't matter what the object heat of the heater pad is, correct? The heater control system would shut off the pads above freezing temperature inside the box.

A few points:
  • If you have a well insulated box, it does not need very much energy to keep it warm. I would shy away from high wattage heat pads.
  • For an external temp sensor, be sure to set the off point a couple degrees above the min temp you want to allow charging. It is possible for the internals of the battery to still be low even if the box is above freezing.
  • You want to gently heat the battery. You don't wan't a really hot spot in the battery.
  • I personally would try to avoid the heat pad all together if I can.... even if it means not being able to charge sometimes.

Looks like my idea has stuck at the costs. I couldn't find NC-Relays for about 200A permanent load so I researched contactors and solenoids. Which I could find, but they are to expensive. Looking at the cost I could just sell my BMS and buy one with low-temp cut off included.

Just to fulfill the informations, these are the two contactors would work:
SPST 400A max: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33029880210.html (1NC)
SPDT 400A max: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33001649024.html (with 1NO and 1NC) [auxiliary contact at 24VDC]

I also found this solenoid, but I'm not sure about the quality of the product. Amazons reviews aren't the best for these.
SPST 200A max: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33007969754.html [not even sure here, 'cause on amazon the same is a NO]

Up to 100A there is a lot available on the market, even NCs that are much rare than NOs. And it's very cheap. But above it's a crap.

I also thought about some MOSFETs that switch very fast and are available for high current. They even can be connected in parallel, but the internal resistance seems to be the problem here which would consume lot of power on high current.

Last edited:
Looks like my idea has stuck at the costs. I couldn't find NC-Relays for about 200A permanent load so I researched contactors and solenoids. Which I could find, but they are to expensive. Looking at the cost I could just sell my BMS and buy one with low-temp cut off included.

I was wondering about that.

Any idea what else can get the job done? Should I combine some smaller SSRs, this might also work?

Any idea what else can get the job done? Should I combine some smaller SSRs, this might also work?
Not off hand. Sorry!

I am not sure about putting several smaller SSRs in parallel. I would be a little worried about one of them taking more of the current than the others...but it might work. Be very carefull about start-up currents. If one is a little faster to turn on than the others, it will take the whole load for a moment. If one blows out with an open, the others will try to take up the load and you could have a cascading failure that takes them all out.

Also, be particularly careful when you first hook the circuit to the inverter. The large capacitors in the inverter will have a very high in-rush if you do not pre-charge them. Use a resistor to pre-charge the capacitors before hook-up. (You should do this in any case)

(The Victron Battery Protect is a fancy SSR and they specifically state that it should not be used between the battery and the Inverter. My understanding is that this is because of the potential in-rush current))

Ok, I just found this:

400A: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000295716219.html [NOT NC]
200A: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000295498163.html [NOT NC]

Didn't know there are so big SSRs. They should be able to handle any in-rush current, and they aren't very expensive. They also should have no realizable delay because of missing mechanical components.

Only problem, they get really hot. Above a current of 60A you need to install not only a heat sink, but also a cooling fan. Just thinking about the heating pads again. ;)

EDIT: Ok, don't know if the others are NCs, when it comes to NC I just found 100A https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000521371702.html and of course it is more expensive. So, just forget it again.

Last edited:
(The Victron Battery Protect is a fancy SSR and they specifically state that it should not be used between the battery and the Inverter. My understanding is that this is because of the potential in-rush current))

This one seems to be even programmable. I think I have to take a look closer into it, thanks.

Ok, it seems I'm stuck here for now.

Relay is not an option jet, nevertheless if its a classical relay, contactor, solenoid or SSR. It's just to expensive.

Another BMS is not an option jet. There is not much on the market for now with a low temp cut off, and I need 200A. Installing two of them in parallel or switching to 24V is not an alternative for now.

The programmable battery protectors with a relay inside are to expensive and programming of the voltage is limited. (This may work on the Victron using bluetooth and being able to set the low voltage restart lower than low voltage shutdown e.g. 12,8V restart and 14,6V shutdown, but I don't know)

It may be also possible to use the BMS itself as a relay by just cutting the power off from the negative balancing line with a very lightweight and cheap nc-ssr, but this may also damage the BMS itself. Nevertheless I hope this can work, because I like this hackish idea.

I think, the best I can do for now is to realize the pad heating with a temperature controller. It's not completely secure and it will waste lot of energy, but its cheap and it will work for a while. Meanwhile I'll observe the market for interesting changes. Maybe we'll get new BMS models with low temp cut off, or the SSRs evolve. We'll see.

Apart from resistive pads, I have been looking at a heating/cooling system based on Peltier elements, it should hopefully be more efficient than resistive heating (the Peltier element basically acts as a mini heat pump), plus it can do both heating and cooling in one shot to also help keeping the battery fresh during summer. With a well insulated battery case I hope it won't draw too much power. We can start a thread around that if more are interested. Don't have the parts yet but I will try something with some stuff from AliExpress.
@astronom.... did you ever pursue the Peltier idea? @svConcordia In this thread has a cooling problem that a Peltier might be an interesting solution for (Even with the horrible efficiency it might work well).

@astronom.... did you ever pursue the Peltier idea? @svConcordia In this thread has a cooling problem that a Peltier might be an interesting solution for (Even with the horrible efficiency it might work well).
Still haven't built the sysytem, but some parts arrived (although only 8 Peltier instead of 10 ordered... figuring out with the AliExpress vendor in progress).

A few points:
  • If you have a well insulated box, it does not need very much energy to keep it warm. I would shy away from high wattage heat pads.
  • For an external temp sensor, be sure to set the off point a couple degrees above the min temp you want to allow charging. It is possible for the internals of the battery to still be low even if the box is above freezing.
  • You want to gently heat the battery. You don't wan't a really hot spot in the battery.
  • I personally would try to avoid the heat pad all together if I can.... even if it means not being able to charge sometimes.
Good points.

Because of charge/discharge efficiencies wouldn't you want to be quite a bit above 0C? With that said, in cold situations with a functioning heating system your batteries would normally be slightly warmer than the ambient temperature inside the box and you're not trying to heat the batteries so much as trying to prevent them from cooling further.

The environmental thermostat in my camper can't be set below 55F(around 13C) why screw around with letting your batteries get below 50F(10C)? It seems to me that you'd spend less energy holding the line at 50F than letting it get to near 32F then warming back up to 50F in the morning.

In other words warming up cold batteries is a lot harder than not letting them get cold in the first place.

I have a koi pond that freezes in the winter. In order to keep an open hole in the ice to vent methane and CO2 I constructed a floating bubble to keep a pocket of warm air over the pond which would prevent ice from forming in one spot. It was nothing more than an upside down plastic tub with floats and a 25w light bulb in it. It worked like a champ for years and this is in Wisconsin winters.

So what do you think about simple enclosure heaters? They've been around a long time and they are designed to keep enclosures for electronics warm. You just need to keep that bubble of air from getting colder.

In other words warming up cold batteries is a lot harder than not letting them get cold in the first place.

Yes, it will take longer to get them back up to 55 F, but letting them get down to around 35F and then heating them back to 55F will take less total energy than holding them at 55F. (That is basic thermal dynamics)

Ideally, your temperature control would kick on around 35F or 36F (or whatever your lower limit is) and kick off around 5deg above that (~40F) This keeps the batteries warm enough with the least amount of expended energy.

I like the idea of one of those enclosure heaters. It would be pretty easy to mount one on a thin sheet of aluminum.

I just got a notification from this thread and had forgotten about it. The self heating ammo can I posted on page 2 is still in service and we're entering consistent warm weather in Colorado. The temperature was maintained the entire winter including temps below 0*F, snow days, days of minimal solar collection (usually due to snow on panels). I never really thought much about it. I had the temp set to 40*F for months on end and it never dipped below that.

I'm going to install a marine deckplate or something similar in the lid above the BMS, which was 102*F today (78*F outside). It's going to get a lot hotter. The probe wedged between the cells peaked at 85*F today and is still 82*F at 11:30pm. Anyway, deckplate would allow easy summer mode. Probably some sort of filter / pantyhose to limit dust infiltration to ammo can. Silicone heating pad on thick aluminum false floor works great. I didn't even bother with the PID control of the heater much. It's set to max at ~60 watts. I could have eliminated a lot of complexity by just using a 50w silicone heat pad.

Yes, it will take longer to get them back up to 55 F, but letting them get down to around 35F and then heating them back to 55F will take less total energy than holding them at 55F. (That is basic thermal dynamics)
Is that energy difference enough to justify letting them get into the cold inefficient range to begin with? I guess that really depends on the details of the system and the use case.

If someone is searching for a cheap temperature controller
I would consider one or two of these for a freeze protect switch in a battery box, possibly connected to an older style light bulb:

and another interesting option I cam across was:

I was also thinking of an insulating layer of "Aircrete" (foam injected cement that has microscopic bubbles giving it insulation plus fireproof abilities) around battery bank / inside a battery box idea.

Food for Options ;+)

Last edited:
Back