diy solar

diy solar

LifePO4 Pack for EV Car Charging

fopoku2k2

I am planning on building a lithium battery pack with LifePO4 cells. this pack when fully charged by my solar panels would then be used to charge my chevrolet volt. the ev charger is rated 16A 240v.

Any ideas, advice or suggestions??

While I have an EV, I'm not familiar with the Volt. The charging battery bank size will depend on how large the battery bank is in the Volt. For example, my Leaf's battery rating is 62 KwH. If I was going to charge my Leaf from battery, that's where I would start.

ooh ok. the volt battery rating is 16.5 kWh. Have you ever tried charging your leaf with your lifePO4 battery pack?

ooh ok. the volt battery rating is 16.5 kWh. Have you ever tried charging your leaf with your lifePO4 battery pack?

Nope. My inverter is 120Vac and only 1000 watts. It would be torture.
kinky.gif

The usable kwh of the gen1 is 10.9 so maybe target a 12kwh capacity?

I'm kind of taking on a similar project. I have a 5.1kwh 24v pack that I intend to use for various purposes. Last night I dumped some of it into my gen2 volt (14.0kwh usable). I have a 3000w pure sine inverter 24v in, 120v out. It's massive over kill at this output voltage but I also wanted to be able to use it for backup home power.

In order to get the volt charger to not complain about the lack of grounding of the invert I had to tie ground and neutral together but then the charger went green.

Attachments

• 20210516_201840.jpg
    20210516_201840.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 8
The usable kwh of the gen1 is 10.9 so maybe target a 12kwh capacity?

I'm kind of taking on a similar project. I have a 5.1kwh 24v pack that I intend to use for various purposes. Last night I dumped some of it into my gen2 volt (14.0kwh usable). I have a 3000w pure sine inverter 24v in, 120v out. It's massive over kill at this output voltage but I also wanted to be able to use it for backup home power.

In order to get the volt charger to not complain about the lack of grounding of the invert I had to tie ground and neutral together but then the charger went green.
Ooh ok. nice. I am yet to receive my cells. did you do anything to the cells (balancing etc.) before connecting toy our inverter?

it might also be worth considering charging via the included level 1 charger.

The inverter would be much cheaper and if you don’t have it already you wouldn’t have to buy the l2 charger and the car would still charge overnight.

i used to have a volt before I bought my Kona EV and I believe the level 1 recharge times were 8 to 10 hours.

it might also be worth considering charging via the included level 1 charger.

The inverter would be much cheaper and if you don’t have it already you wouldn’t have to buy the l2 charger and the car would still charge overnight.

i used to have a volt before I bought my Kona EV and I believe the level 1 recharge times were 8 to 10 hours.
The stock L1 charger is like an L1.7 charger on 240V (which it does support with an adapter). Would save money on charger and a 3000w inverter should be enough to handle the 2880w this setup would pull.

The EVSE that came with my 2015 Leaf had an adapter to plug into a regular wall outlet. It would charge on 120vac or 240vac. The EVSE that came with my 2019 Leaf might have the same adapter but I haven't dug in the bag far enough to find it. I had to run a new 240vac 50 amp circuit to use the 2019 EVSE as it pulls more amps than the old one did.

Charging my Leaf on 120vac is an extreme exercise in patience. It takes a loooong time.

Bennymac,

Interesting I did not know that. I purchesed a dryer outlet 15a L2 charger when I bought my volt.

Back