diy solar

diy solar

LiFePO4 PLASTIC LiFePO4 cell holder - anyone ever seen this??

I clicked on the website link in the video, and my iPad went ballistic with insecure warnings...

maybe a 3dprinter?

I sent this video to my son that is quite good with 3-D printing, has two printers. I also sent him the spec sheet with the dimensions of the 280Ah cells from Xuba. I asked if he could work up a prototype. Let's see if he has the time (he is quite a busy guy) to design/write the code and print it out!!!

I clicked on the website link in the video, and my iPad went ballistic with insecure warnings...

maybe a 3dprinter?

I dropped the presenter a note -- allen@seplos.com and asked him the same thing .. cool battery holders ... of course this would cut down on @Will Prowse use of 30 meters of electrical tape per battery quite a bit ... LOL

With the exception of the nice covers, it looks mostly cosmetic.
I was thinking the same thing--it looks nice, but as shown in the video, it does nothing to hold anything together, not even snap-together connections on the pieces (which I don't think I'd trust for the job anyway). No impact protection, no moisture or debris protection--what's really the point other than to dress up the pack a little?

But I bet we could 3d print cell holders on our own.
Yes, seems simple enough, though the question of connecting them remains. You'd want to use a suitable material (PETG would be better than PLA, I'd think). Then it's just a matter of deciding on dimensions.

BUT as a concept thats totally cool -- leaves able spacing for heat dissipation -- holds them all together ... I dropped the manufacturer rep a note a few minutes ago to see if i can get more info ... maybe they have some that snap together - or maybe there is some sort of strapping .. but the good thing is that it covers the battery terminals and protects the batteries from accidental discharge and gouging etc ...

maybe there is some sort of strapping
I saw a video where some guy used 30 meters of electrical tape...
good thing is that it covers the battery terminals
If you can get any info about cover spacing and wire channels that would be nice too. The covers look pretty close to cell tops, seeing one wired up might reveal some “opportunities”.

I was thinking the same thing--it looks nice, but as shown in the video, it does nothing to hold anything together, not even snap-together connections on the pieces (which I don't think I'd trust for the job anyway). No impact protection, no moisture or debris protection--what's really the point other than to dress up the pack a little?

I'd buy these just based on the fact that it reduces the packs from getting shorted out if something fell on top of them and looking good doing it.

Note the top terminal covers 'snap' on with important function of protecting terminals, and perform a secondary function of securing top of individual pieces, though not very secure. Looks like bottom strapping of some sort may still be needed, and still possible top strapping.

and perform a secondary function of securing top of individual pieces
From what I could see in the video, it was only securing the top of one given piece--so that, for example, the top of piece 1 can't spread open. It doesn't appear to do anything to connect piece 1 to piece 2 that I could see.

My electrical tape jobs are still holding up to this day. Just saying ;D
I dropped the presenter a note -- allen@seplos.com and asked him the same thing .. cool battery holders ... of course this would cut down on @Will Prowse use of 30 meters of electrical tape per battery quite a bit ... LOL

From what I could see in the video, it was only securing the top of one given piece--so that, for example, the top of piece 1 can't spread open. It doesn't appear to do anything to connect piece 1 to piece 2 that I could see.
From what I can see, it looks like top piece snap directly over the cell terminals which in turn snaps over half of one section and half of neighboring section. Regardless, still doesn't look secure enough to hold sections together when lifting cell pack.

I saw this, but really didn't thing it locked or fastened together. I decided to stick with a Fortune Battery inspired design. I'm printing a BMS support today.

question on the fortune brackets... besides compression by the threaded rods, what's preventing them from simply pulling off the top of the cells? They appear to provide horizontal stability but nothing for vertical forces, vibration, etc.

I know they're minining/industrual but the pictures don't answer it for me.

Many of us have started and participated in similar threads... securing aluminum cells seems to be our holy grail.

I'm planning to use silicone to adhere the pieces to my cells. Unless that is a bad idea.

I sent an email to Seplos and got a reply that they have these for 80 and 100AH batteries ..... which won't work for me. I sent them a link to this thread.

I sent this video to my son that is quite good with 3-D printing, has two printers. I also sent him the spec sheet with the dimensions of the 280Ah cells from Xuba. I asked if he could work up a prototype. Let's see if he has the time (he is quite a busy guy) to design/write the code and print it out!!!

There are a few designs out there already - likely someone from this forum:

280Ah cell holder - from summary at link below it appears they are waiting for cells to arrive so they can get accurate measurements:

Not really for individual cells - but interesting approach to a battery case with lifting handles:

An approach to covers for Winston style batteries - appears to be only for use when batteries are not in use?:

I'm putting together an 8S pack using Lishen 202AH aluminum prismatic cells. Altogether this pack will weigh almost 70 lbs. I'm not trusting electrical tape to hold that all together, although my application is mostly stationary - I'll be keeping the pack in my garage mostly. I 3d printed some simple 4mm thick sticks out of ABS which I am planning on using as spacers between cells with a dab of hot glue to keep them from slipping out. Trying to come up with a good way to strap them together - what about heavy duty releasable cable ties? At least 2 bands around the circumference and two under the bottom and over the top. Non-conductive (unlike giant steel hose clamps) and they can be released and removed if I don't like the outcome. The whole pack will be housed in an ice chest, but I still need to come up with some type of cover to protect the terminals from shorts. I did 3d-print some M6 nuts out of ABS, so I can screw those over the top and at least the tips of the terminals will be covered with an insulator.

When I did my 8 190 AH cells, I put a thin layer of foam on the sides and ends ..... and a little thicker on the bottom..... then put some thin hardboard around the foam and pulled it all together with the smallest ratchet straps I could find. I used the extra length of the ratchet strap I had cut off to go under the bottom and made a make shift handle for moving it around. I had also spaced the batteries a little bit by putting a spot of VHB tape on each corner and one in the middle of each cell.

I keep seeing more and more reasons to have a 3D printer. It would have been nice to have been able to 3D print the hard exterior.

Since I am putting this in my RV, I am putting all that into a plastic double battery case ... which I haven't done yet. Still testing the battery. If it doesn't fit in there as snug as I like, I may shoot some expanding foam around inside the case.

diy solar

diy solar
Back