diy solar

diy solar

Lifepo4 power tools?

Smeeg

Is there any power tools that use lifepo4? will we see this in the future? Can we make our own DIY?

The lower energy density of LFP makes it a non-optimum choice for handheld power tools at the present time.

I do see LFP batteries being used in larger commercial meangreen mowers etc where energy density isn't critical and large cycle count is desirable

The lower energy density of LFP makes it a non-optimum choice for handheld power tools at the present time.

I do see LFP batteries being used in larger commercial meangreen mowers etc where energy density isn't critical and large cycle count is desirable
I’d personally rather it be heavier or less AH & way more cycles ?‍♂️
Also couldn’t they just offer both chemistries?

This should be an easy DIY project, and improve the usage of the tool. Simply eliminate the battery that came with the tool, and make a LiPo fanny pack tool belt with short power cable. This takes the battery weight off your arm and makes it easier to carry a heavier battery. Less tiring on a long workday.

Also makes a great counterweight for those of us with front overhung loads.

Last edited:
I’d personally rather it be heavier or less AH & way more cycles ?‍♂️
Also couldn’t they just offer both chemistries?
Buy Ridgid tools at Home Depot and cycle count becomes irrelevant because they replace batteries for life. Granted, I'm sure this guarantee will eventually end but I've had batteries replaced that I bought in 2008. A user on a Toyota forum had a ~2002 Ridgid Nicad tool replaced with modern Li-Ion tools.

I can't say that I'm a fan of HD in general but the Ridgid lifetime service agreement has worked for me and has eliminated my fear of tool batteries failing and anger when I'd need to buy a new one.

Buy Ridgid tools at Home Depot and cycle count becomes irrelevant because they replace batteries for life. Granted, I'm sure this guarantee will eventually end but I've had batteries replaced that I bought in 2008. A user on a Toyota forum had a ~2002 Ridgid Nicad tool replaced with modern Li-Ion tools.

I can't say that I'm a fan of HD in general but the Ridgid lifetime service agreement has worked for me and has eliminated my fear of tool batteries failing and anger when I'd need to buy a new one.
It’s a pain in the ass to register them & deal with there customer service but yeah if you jump through the hoops it’s hard to beat the service agreement.

What lithium chemistry do these tools use?

What lithium chemistry do these tools use?
Ternary NCM I believe. I can only speak to the Milwaukee M18 and Stihl AP line of tools, they are using 21700 cells, with the exception of the new m18 "Forge" battery which is using stacked pouches. Also being used in the Stihl AP500S battery (10 pouches). The Stihl stacked pouch battery is rated for 2500 cycles, versus their 21700 AP300S at 1250.

Edit to add, it's the M18 "high output" series of batteries that use the larger 21700 cells. Regular packs still using 18650 for slightly smaller form factor.

Last edited:
Start with the movie Waynes World. You will find Milwaukee is algonquin for, "The Good Battery"
Ever heard of makita??

I’ll say milwaukee is durable and does have good batteries. I’ll also say I find them clunky and poorly configured, bad ergonomics, and there is a big selection at homeDespot.

Makita. Not clunky- precise. My first cordless was a 7.2V Makita drill circa 1985. It still works, battery life sucks now. Makita still has great tools.
I loved the older Porter Cable stuff I had. 19.2V nicad. Basically were DC copies of corded tools (sawboss is awesome!) But alas they have now gone ‘cheapo’ and I’m disappointed. But for cheap cordless tools I have not killed one of them except for the cordless sander. Pretty impressive the amount of abuse they’ve taken since ~2016.

Milwaukee is bulky in my small hands. Even their cordless skilsaw is clunky with poor visibility for a pro woodworker/finish carpenter.

If I want a ‘fine’ cordless tool I buy makita.
If I want a ‘cheap’ cordless tool I buy Porter Cable. Both fit my hands and seem durable. And more than a bit surprised that the new (cheap) Porter Cable stuff is still surviving with the continuous pro-level use.
Ridgid tools at Home Depot and cycle count becomes irrelevant because they replace batteries for life
Hmmm. I don’t like the tools but I will admit having bought a lot of replacement Porter Cable batteries. If people don’t steal them, accidentally dropping tools breaks the spot welds on the 4Ah cells. The 2Ah seem to survive better.

Back