diy solar

diy solar

LiFePO4 Voltage Chart?

Doesn't a MPPT charger supply a constant current for the first 60% no matter the voltage?
No.
If your battery voltage is equal to or qreater than the charge voltage no current will flow at all.

What differentiates the MPPT from the PWM? Why should I throw away my PCM charger?

When charging from solar panels the available current is not the same all day. So when they said charge a lifepo4 with a constant current it can't be done. So why have mppt charger if the current is going to vary anyway. I'm a beginner so bear with me
Constant current is a misnomer.
Current limited would be clearer IMO.

Other than efficiency is there a downfall for using PCM charger.. The one I found so far is the BMS might trip because it may see an over voltage when the switch opens

Other than efficiency is there a downfall for using PCM charger.. The one I found so far is the BMS might trip because it may see an over voltage when the switch opens
Where are you getting this information?
Please link to the pcm charger you wish to use.
Have you chosen your panels yet?
If so please link to the one of them and tell us your intended configuration.
By configuration I mean series or parralel or a specific combination.

If you have not yet purchased your solar charge controller almost all the options are mppt now.
I'm not that knowledgable on the pv side of things so hopefully somebody who knows more will step up.

This is an old system I'm upgrading to new lifepo4 batteries
Ok cool so we can assume that the pv side is ok.
Now lets lets focus on the system side.
What is the charge voltage?
What is your max charge current?
Does your solar charge controller have float mode?
If yes, what is the float voltage?
How does your scc's determine when to terminate the charge?
On the old ones sometimes its just when the sun goes down :)

Oh and please tells us about the lfp battery bank.
Voltage and capacity at a minimum.

Charge voltage 28.8v
Mac charge current 40 amps
Float set at 26v
Terminates charge when battery reaches 28.8v
A123 8s5p LiFepo4 battery pack 100ah, 28v, 2.4kw

Charge voltage 28.8v
Float set at 26v
charge voltage is good
current is fine
float is fine you could set it as high as 26.8 volts to get some more use out of the sun.
All good.

Doesn't a MPPT charger supply a constant current for the first 60% no matter the voltage?
Don't get wrapped up in how the charger works. Just set the max(the bulk) and then set the float at where the LiFePO4 rests. @smoothJoey just said it about as perfect as it could be said.

MPPT is a separate thing in the system from the charger.

Click on the link in my signature to the various voltages to use.

Charge voltage 28.8v
Float set at 26v
That WILL cause problems !
The Primary Voltage Curve for LFP is from 3.000-3.450. Above & Below those points is <8% and no gain, plus it is Runner Cell territory.
28.8V ÷ 8 = 3.600V will result in BMS trips with HVD (High Volt Disconnect) Do NOT figure / fudge the parallel cells for such calcs, makes no diff.
28.0V ÷ 8 = 3.500V per cell. This is quite sufficient and IS considered 100%

Charge to 28.0V
Terminate charging at 28.1V
Amps cannot exceed 50A for that 123cell based pack.
Set float to 27.5V which is 3.4375V per cell. This will keep them topped and allow for the BMS to Balance out cells.
Rebulk or Resume Charging at 27.2V
End Amps for Absorb Charging for the 100AH pack would be 5A but that may not be reliable, pending on cells.

With LFP, unlike Lead, you MUST Calibrate / Compensate for voltage drop between the battery terminals & the SCC + Inverter. If there is as much as a 0.1V difference it WILL throw things off. See link in my Signature on Calibration.

Case in point: The settings are similar to mine. My system was at 78% @ Sunrise, charged to 100% and reached float by 11:15AM. Fridge, Radiant Heating, running + 2 Coffee pots brewed plus, computer/router/sat modem/47" LED Screen and still 100% . Right now I am Top Balancing 8 cells as well with a TekPower TP1540E Bench Powersupply, which started this run at 2A, the SCC Supplied the extra amperage, power drawn from Battery = 0A as each pack is in "Storage Mode" yet at the moment the SCC is providing 19A to the Inverter @ 27.8V

THIS WAS an "LFP Voltage Chart" Thread
So here is a Voltage Chart:

lfp-voltage-chart-jpg.27632

The Primary Voltage Curve for LFP is from 3.000-3.450. Above & Below those points is <8% and no gain, plus it is Runner Cell territory.
@CDell if the BMS trips adjust the charge voltage down a bit to give a safe margin.
If your cells are well balanced you can charge higher although with diminishing returns in capacity and slightly higher wear and tear.
If your scc is not configurable give it a try and see if your bms trips.
If it doesn't trip I wouldn't worry much.

Last edited:
When a (any) charger charges, it pushes current until the voltage nears the desired voltage. Then the current lowers until the voltage equalizes.

That is just how chargers work.
That's how they should work but my MPP solar doesn't seem to work that way. When I reduce the bulk voltage the charge rate also reduces.

Hi,

Hi,

I am on that forum too.

No Float Bug fix for the MG sadly. I'm pretty sure the Error #8 isn't fixed. There is an external 08 "fix" (isolates the PV if it's >70V), for which I have bought the main part, but have yet to go to an electronics supplier for the other minor parts. Have been running off solar & battery 99.99% for the past 4 months, so it hasn't affected me. If we go away on short trip, I'll manually isolate the PV to to the inverter. I turn eveything off if it's going to be more than a few weeks.

dRdoS7

The ">" should have been a "<".

Good thing I'm not a Rocket Surgeon!

dRdoS7

There has been no mention of the calibration of either their the equipment or the devices they are using.
Thank you for this comment, if I want data confusion, I use the voltages reported by the BMS, those from a cell monitor and those from a calibrated volt meter... they BMS and cell monitor just add to confusion.... Calibration is essential!

That's how they should work but my MPP solar doesn't seem to work that way. When I reduce the bulk voltage the charge rate also reduces.
Increasing or decreasing the "bulk" shouldn't effect your charge rate until it nears the preset voltage at which point the current will decrease.

Example: mine set at 14.1v absorb for 10 min max, float 13.6v. Depending on the sun the panels will produce max 80a. It (SCC mppt) will continously feed that till nearly 98% SOC at which it switches from bulk to absorb, in absorb stage the current decreases as the battery cells top off. 7 minutes is about the norm for mine at which it switches to float (13.6v) at 99% SOC, there is current still charging at 3-4a and decreasing to 0.5v fluctuating because there are still loads on the system of 9-35a depending on the season. It's been 5 years like this.

Yours doesn't work similarly like this?

Increasing or decreasing the "bulk" shouldn't effect your charge rate until it nears the preset voltage at which point the current will decrease.

Example: mine set at 14.1v absorb for 10 min max, float 13.6v. Depending on the sun the panels will produce max 80a. It (SCC mppt) will continously feed that till nearly 98% SOC at which it switches from bulk to absorb, in absorb stage the current decreases as the battery cells top off. 7 minutes is about the norm for mine at which it switches to float (13.6v) at 99% SOC, there is current still charging at 3-4a and decreasing to 0.5v fluctuating because there are still loads on the system of 9-35a depending on the season. It's been 5 years like this.

Yours doesn't work similarly like this?
Because of the the flatter voltage curve for LIFePO4 the MPP Solars will go to absorb and float too early on the lithium settings, maybe on 12v they're ok but the 48v are not. For example the low voltage disconnect setting for Lifpo4 is so close to the normal operating battery voltage that the low battery voltage error #4 is on continuously for normal lifepo4 settings. I have tried setting the bulk to 54v to 55v numerous times and it goes to absorb and float way too early.

What I have notice with my system (12v) is if I were to use my 2000w or 2200w generator and charge with the inverter/ charger at 100a plus any solar on top of it, which can be 150-175a the batteries will go out of bulk and into absorb at 94-96% SOC, then drop into float around 96-98% then top off in float the rest of the time. Meaning everything is switching over earlier but never have I had the system go back to a bulk stage in the same day.

This only happens like that if I try to slam the batteries with that current to max capacity starting at a low SOC around 35%. After a couple times like this years ago I decided to live and operate in long partial SOC's, this might not work for some but my needs it seems to be perfect.

Back