diy solar

diy solar

Local electrical help needed in brookings OR

You joined a DIY forum. Unfortunately most of the support here will be centered around you performing task.

You need to search locally for mobile RV techs that have electrical experience and generator repair.

Expect to pay $70+ per hour and travel expenses.

If that's not possible...you may want to learn how your system works.
I am dumb, omg I didnt even think of that it IS a DIY forum, lol. So sorry you are right. I am so out of it, no sleep, shower for 10 days, low food, I cant think straight. This was not the brightest place to post. Honelsty thank you for bringing this to my attention. ....

I have no problem paying. I am in a tiny town and there are only 2 techs in the area and they only know RVs and not solar, ;-(. I did pay a guy over $1800 to drive 3 hours to me but he only put on battery balancers and hooked up the victron 70 screen, saying that was my issue, but alas it was not the issue.

Late to the party but do you have Victron Connect on your phone? You could learn a lot about your system if you got familiar with that free app.

You could even send us some screen shots.

No internet means no one can help you remotely. For future reference if there is anyway you could get that CerboGx talking to VRM you could get a lot of help and check on your system when you are away from it.

If I walked up to something like that I would unhook everything and start over hooking one thing back up at a time.
I do have that app, there used to be a screen that let me see the charge. but now its not there and only the cerbo option is there. Maybe I need internet for the second thing to appear to click on to get my info?

I am dumb, omg I didnt even think of that it IS a DIY forum, lol. So sorry you are right. I am so out of it, no sleep, shower for 10 days, low food, I cant think straight. This was not the brightest place to post. Honelsty thank you for bringing this to my attention. ....

I have no problem paying. I am in a tiny town and there are only 2 techs in the area and they only know RVs and not solar, ;-(. I did pay a guy over $1800 to drive 3 hours to me but he only put on battery balancers and hooked up the victron 70 screen, saying that was my issue, but alas it was not the issue.
But if you are willing to learn...we can definitely help you.

Unfortunately for your current situation, a local tech is going to be needed to get you functional.

Once you get it running, come on back here and we will offer you training that will have you knowing what everything does and how to work on it.

But without ANY power, right now i would buy a portable generator, and get critical items powered first.

I do have that app, there used to be a screen that let me see the charge. but now its not there and only the cerbo option is there. Maybe I need internet for the second thing to appear to click on to get my info?

If the power to the MPPT is off, you won't see it.

Any chance you can get me the 3 pictures I asked for?

Not really. You only need to turn the bluetooth on and then you should be able to connect to your devices with the Victron App. That is if your battery is still charged.

Unfortunately, on a Cerbo system, the only thing VC is likely to talk to is the MPPT and a BMV-712 or smartshunt. I'm 99% sure the Lynx shunt is NOT BT enabled.

If you have a computer on the same network, opening a browser to http://venus.local should give access to the remote console of the cerbo, but with a touch screen there's no real advantage to it.

Based on what I see:
Dual Quattro 48/5kVA
MPPT 250/85 connected to Cerbo via VE.Can
Lynx shunt on VE.Can

I would presume the Quattro system is between the shore power/generator and the 12V system, i.e., the stock or similar converter w/12V battery is still in place rather than having a 48-12V converter. This is my preferred method.

I have a highly similar setup:
2X exact same inverters setup for 120/240VAC split phase
MPPT 250/100 on ve.direct instead of 250/85 on VE.Can
BMV-702 on ve.direct instead of lynx shun ton VE.Can

@Ariel188

Please take a picture of:
The front of each inverter where I can see the wired connections.
If it has power, your touch screen showing the pictures of the various devices. Will look similar to this:
View attachment 187887

I charge my system with a cheap crappy $400 Predator generator from Harbor freight. With the appropriate pictures, we can likely identify your system configuration and provide instructions for connecting a generator either on a DIY basis or to provide additional information to a professional electrician.
Hello thank you. Here are a couple photos, I have never seen the AC Loads have items L1 and L2 listed there, what are those please?
I also never had the red box have any info in it. I have also never seen DC power ever on the screen. Screen is off right now.

Attachments

• inverter 1.jpeg
    inverter 1.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 51
  • inverter2.jpeg
    inverter2.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 51
Hello thank you. Here are a couple photos, I have never seen the AC Loads have items L1 and L2 listed there, what are those please?
I also never had the red box have any info in it. I have also never seen DC power ever on the screen. Screen is off right now.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. I need to see where the cables actually attach to the boards inside the inverter. You cut just short of those.

Are you able to take a picture of the touch screen, preferably with the system on?

Ok I will take more tomorrow in the light, thank you for your help! Much appreciated!
Not to discourage doing this but it is rather obvious that the issue is more complex than you would be able to handle on your own. Given that several on site supposedly competent techs were unable to get it right. Also given your lack of electrical training and the proper testing equipment it becomes near impossible for a internet type of talk you through troubleshooting steps.

However if you can get a person out there with some electrical background and test equipment to come here and provide information, when they are stymied, we might get someplace. Lot of competent techs are not necessarily up to speed on solar related equipment and setups. Especial if the issue is one of proper settings for a particular device.

In the meantime get that portable genset going.

OMG HE DID IT!!!!!! This electrician FIGURED IT OUT!!!!! I am in tears I cannot believe it!!!

He said the wiring was a mess and that there was 240 power under there. He said that can kill you. Lucky I did not go tinkering around down there! He was unsure why it was wired for 240, when nothing in the rig is 240........

Anyway, he did a bunch of re wiring of stuff and some of it worked yesterday due to a generator he brought, but then the generator he brought stopped working on propane so I had to go get gas till he came back, now he rigged it up again to work on propane again. Fingers crossed it keeps working. The generator charges my lithum batteries and then that power feed the 12 volt lead acid batteries. Solar also charges the lithum. So far its all working!! KNock on wood as I dont wanna jinx anything lol!!

I ordered a generator from Costco. One of the solar techs who was out here a few months ago encouraged me to get as a back up saying it would work with my system, but since it was $1300 I didn't get it at the time. Well lucky they still carry it, so I ordered it, and it wont be here for 10 days but the electrician said I can use his until it gets here. And he will come back and hook up the new generator to still work with my start button in the rig so I dont have to go out and turn it on and off like I do his. This is wonderful news as well!

Whew its a mircle to have power, hot water, lights, shower, food, wow I am so happy!

THANK YOU to all who helped and were concerned for me. I deeply appreciate it!!

Let's hope this is the end of the 15 month long issues..... Oh and the electrician thinks the generator broke due to the strain on it and constant code 15 and 36 shut downs. Poor Onan generator.

Consider swapping that 12v battery to lithium. Far more efficient in the use case described. Keeping the lead topped up will waste a lot of power.

Good to hear all seems to be back in business.

OMG HE DID IT!!!!!! This electrician FIGURED IT OUT!!!!! I am in tears I cannot believe it!!!

He said the wiring was a mess and that there was 240 power under there. He said that can kill you. Lucky I did not go tinkering around down there! He was unsure why it was wired for 240, when nothing in the rig is 240........

Anyway, he did a bunch of re wiring of stuff and some of it worked yesterday due to a generator he brought, but then the generator he brought stopped working on propane so I had to go get gas till he came back, now he rigged it up again to work on propane again. Fingers crossed it keeps working. The generator charges my lithum batteries and then that power feed the 12 volt lead acid batteries. Solar also charges the lithum. So far its all working!! KNock on wood as I dont wanna jinx anything lol!!

I ordered a generator from Costco. One of the solar techs who was out here a few months ago encouraged me to get as a back up saying it would work with my system, but since it was $1300 I didn't get it at the time. Well lucky they still carry it, so I ordered it, and it wont be here for 10 days but the electrician said I can use his until it gets here. And he will come back and hook up the new generator to still work with my start button in the rig so I dont have to go out and turn it on and off like I do his. This is wonderful news as well!

Whew its a mircle to have power, hot water, lights, shower, food, wow I am so happy!

THANK YOU to all who helped and were concerned for me. I deeply appreciate it!!

Let's hope this is the end of the 15 month long issues..... Oh and the electrician thinks the generator broke due to the strain on it and constant code 15 and 36 shut downs. Poor Onan generator.

I'm glad you're up and running.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your electrician knows nothing about RV power. On a rig as big as yours, you likely have a 50A hookup (if you have two or more A/C units, then it's a guarantee).

50A shore power is 120/240V split phase power identical to what powers a typical residence (except it's limited to 50A where homes are 100 or 200A typically). While nothing on the RV uses 240V, each leg of the RV panel is supplied with half of the 120/240V power just like a house electrical panel.

Please include a picture of your touch screen to confirm configuration. While you may not be inclined to DIY, you need to have a working knowledge of your system, and we can help you with that.

Just wanted to comment on a couple of the above in case you're not aware:

1) if your hot water heater runs on propane (can't imagine it doesn't), make sure you run it on propane (turn the W/H breaker off). This is an energy hog and will empty your batteries pretty quickly unless you manage it diligently.

2) food: If your fridge can run on propane, it is critical that you run it on propane. If you run it on AC power, this type of fridge uses 5-6X the electrical energy of a "normal" household fridge and will absolutely empty your battery fast.

Last edited:
@Ariel188 Not sure if you will read this but I am very much like you (single female, multiple dogs, limited mechanical/electrical skills).

I would strongly advise that you to plan for redundancy. That means when (not if) you lose power again you have a backup heat source such as a kerosene heater or wood stove. A propane camp stove is also a good backup for cooking or heating water to wash in etc... I have lived alone in a rural area long enough to know you cannot count on outside help in every crisis.

Back