diy solar

diy solar

Local electrical help needed in brookings OR

Just wanted to comment on a couple of the above in case you're not aware:

1) if your hot water heater runs on propane (can't imagine it doesn't), make sure you run it on propane (turn the W/H breaker off). This is an energy hog and will empty your batteries pretty quickly unless you manage it diligently.

2) food: If your fridge can run on propane, it is critical that you run it on propane. If you run it on AC power, this type of fridge uses 5-6X the electrical energy of a "normal" household fridge and will absolutely empty your battery fast.
The hot water is propane but I keep it off until needed and do not use the electric heater for it.
The stove is electric only, no propane. Its a grand design 390 rkr. (stand for residential fridge) but does it look pretty thou and not like an RV fridge, looks like one in a real home. I didnt realize having a propane fridge would have been nice. My van will have 12 volt. No propane in it at all.

This generator he brought stopped working too.......he brought another one jus tlike it today and so far so good......why do none of the generators wanna charge my batteries..? maybe something still bad with wiring. I get mine from costco on thur. It better work!

This generator he brought stopped working too.......he brought another one jus tlike it today and so far so good......why do none of the generators wanna charge my batteries..? maybe something still bad with wiring. I get mine from costco on thur. It better work!
I didn't see anyone mention this earlier, everyone was trying to help you get the basics going first I know: Some Generators Don't work Well with some Inverters.
Yeah this is not great news either, maybe some of the guys with knowledge of your exact inverter will be able to tell you more specifically what to avoid ( @sunshine_eggo - Victron Expert) Will her Costco generator have a clean-enough sine wave for the inverter to accept this source for charging batteries?
I was warned that buying a budget generator instead of a more expensive Inverter-Generator may mean my inverters would not accept the 'dirty' (not perfect sine wave form AC power) but I was okay in my case. I don't have Victron, and am not familar with what they will accept, or if they are touchy on this issue. I bring it up because you have mentioned the generator(s) not charging in some cases, and since you are about to buy a new generator, if this MAY be an issue, lets find out before you spend money, that may need to get spent again on different equipment. I am sure Sunshine_eggo will know.

......why do none of the generators wanna charge my batteries..? maybe something still bad with wiring. ..
Could be wiring but also could be how your Victron equipment is setup. It also could be that you have failing batteries from having them discharge too much and sit before recharge.

This is where being able to see if you have charge current, battery voltage and a understanding of proper settings for your equipment comes into play.

I do wonder about why the generator that was loaned to you ended up quitting. Could be just happenstance. But it would be something I would want to know why to try to prevent it occurring again.

I didn't see anyone mention this earlier, everyone was trying to help you get the basics going first I know: Some Generators Don't work Well with some Inverters.
Yeah this is not great news either, maybe some of the guys with knowledge of your exact inverter will be able to tell you more specifically what to avoid ( @sunshine_eggo - Victron Expert) Will her Costco generator have a clean-enough sine wave for the inverter to accept this source for charging batteries?
I was warned that buying a budget generator instead of a more expensive Inverter-Generator may mean my inverters would not accept the 'dirty' (not perfect sine wave form AC power) but I was okay in my case. I don't have Victron, and am not familar with what they will accept, or if they are touchy on this issue. I bring it up because you have mentioned the generator(s) not charging in some cases, and since you are about to buy a new generator, if this MAY be an issue, lets find out before you spend money, that may need to get spent again on different equipment. I am sure Sunshine_eggo will know.
F.Y.I. when a generator isnt cooperating with an inverter, it has nothing to do with a sine wave.

All generators output proper sine wave.
It is impossible for a mechanical generator not to output a true sine wave.

The problem lies in frequency.
A rotating generator, needs STEADY rpm to output the correct frequency.
Most inverters have a crucial frequency requirement of 60.0hz... and 61 or 59 will shut them down... and most generators fluctuate rpm so much under load it throws the frequency off enough to lock out inverter ac input.

On that Inverter, they are NOT BAD Machine but not as robust as some others.
1) Never Ever overfill it - Exactly 700ml of oil not one drop too much !
2) Use the break -in oil provided, I believe they say change it after 4 hours runtime, DO SO !!! Do not run it longer, there are additives in it for breaking.
3) It likely suggests using 5W30 oil... That is OK, use that. IF your in an area that freezes, IE below 32F, I would suggest using 0W30 Synthetic Oil (Mobil-1 makes Very Good Synthetic and can be had on sale for a reasonable cost). 0W flows instantly in the cold and gets in the valves asap... it does help longevity.

LPG TIP:
Sometimes an LPG generator will have Cold Start issues when it is really cold. This is no surprise, and expected. A quick work around is to fire it up on GAS and after 15 minutes runtime, switch over to Propane and it should be just fine.

I am REALLY HAPPY it got worked out equitably and that you found a good local electrician who knows what he's doing. Now you can take some time and become more Solar/Battery educated and to master your system.

Victron is notoriously tolerant of shit generator output. My Harbor Freight Predator has a ±2Hz variability with a mostly stable voltage. My generator output is bad enough that my electric blanket with an automatic shutoff timer won't work on gen power.

Victron has multiple settings to make it even more tolerant of poor quality generator output.

It's more likely to be a configuration issue. We still don't know if they are wired for 120 or 120/240 split phase, how the generator is connected and what the AC input limits are on the Quattros.

This is typically true for MPP Solar, Growatt, EG4, etc. - that's why the chargeverter exists.

The hot water is propane but I keep it off until needed and do not use the electric heater for it.

Good.

The stove is electric only, no propane. Its a grand design 390 rkr. (stand for residential fridge) but does it look pretty thou and not like an RV fridge, looks like one in a real home. I didnt realize having a propane fridge would have been nice. My van will have 12 volt. No propane in it at all.

An electric stove may be a big power consumer. You don't have that much battery capacity, and a few hours of stove use would likely deplete it.

Residential fridge is good for running on electricity. Propane fridge is good as an alternative, but you'll go through a 30# bottle in 3-4 weeks. Unfortunately 3 of 5 of my RVs have had their propane fridges fail. It's a very expensive repair. We chose to replace with a slightly smaller fridge.

There are still too many unknowns since we don't know how your system is configured (still haven't seen that picture of your touch screen). It could be the generator simply failing, it could be bad wiring, or it could be wiring inappropriate for the inverter configuration.

Victron is notoriously tolerant of shit generator output. My Harbor Freight Predator has a ±2Hz variability with a mostly stable voltage. My generator output is bad enough that my electric blanket with an automatic shutoff timer won't work on gen power.

Victron has multiple settings to make it even more tolerant of poor quality generator output.

It's more likely to be a configuration issue. We still don't know if they are wired for 120 or 120/240 split phase, how the generator is connected and what the AC input limits are on the Quattros.
So based on this, you expect Ariel will be ok with the Costco Generator.
Fall back Plan-B she could get a chargeverter if the generator and the inverter don't play well together.

{Side note: my inverters are MPP 6048's (x3) and they work perfectly with my cheap 'Champion' duel fuel generator, no chargeverter - Yet!}

So based on this, you expect Ariel will be ok with the Costco Generator.

If it's an issue with generator quality, yes. That appears to be an inverter generator.

Wiring or configuration remains unresolved.

Fall back Plan-B she could get a chargeverter if the generator and the inverter don't play well together.

Provided it's set to a suitably low charge current.

{Side note: my inverters are MPP 6048's (x3) and they work perfectly with my cheap 'Champion' duel fuel generator, no chargeverter - Yet!}

Glad to hear it! That's not always the case.

Glad to hear it! That's not always the case.
It certainly isn't with my Bluetti AC300's. Charges fine off the honda 2200 gen (inverter). Won't charge at all with the brand new westinghouse gen (non inverter). Both frequency and voltage jump around too much. Westinghouse does work fine with a chargeverter (actually 2).

I use the Generator with the charging amperage (from the Inverters) set to 30A 240 - ie not full load rating of the genset. Maybe that helps.

I've had a solar guy, an electrician, a mechanic here in the last week no one can figure out the system and I'm freezing cold with no power....

Please please please can someone help a girl and her two dogs out?

We live in a grand design 42 ft 5th wheel, off grid on my 9 acre land. Someone who didn't know what they were doing wired up a 48 volt system along with the fifth wheels native 12 volt system, 15 months ago and it's been nothing but problems.

The 12 volt is run off lead acid batteries, and the 48 volt is ran off chin lithium that are 12 volts batteries and tied together to make this mess of a system.... It's all victron components except for the batteries.....

Now the Onan generator (which was my lifeline) completely broke after 15 months, and no new generator will work with the system........ I've had many people over, here spent tons of money, and we have been without power for 10 days......no hot water, no heat, no power, no internet, no nothing.....just this shell of a 5th wheel

I'm on the California/Oregon Coastal border. I don't think anyone else can figure out this mess but you.

We can't move the 5th wheel to shore power because that part was disassembled as well..........

I believe it's a wiring nightmare. The GFCI in the bathroom always tripped when the generator came on. Also I could not power any devices in the rig when the generator was on or would shut down. The Onan generator constantly gave me code 15 and code 36 and shut off.

I think the strain of something being wired and correctly finally broke the generator here's pictures of my crappy system.

I'm desperate, please help us........

Thank you. Kindly.
Fellow Oregonian.. I'm sorry you are going through this, and I'm also sorry that I don't know anything to help you, but I'm following the thread. I'm only 2 hours from you, for what it's worth. I'm here and I have acreage and RV hook-ups.

P.S. I love how people rise up in help for others in here. It's freaking awesome, and something that the world could use more of.

I can’t believe someone in Grants Pass or Medford can’t help. Both towns are entirely large enough for dozens of competent solar people
I'm in Grants Pass, and I assure you, there is no one here. I'm going through a similar scenario trying to get help. I think I finally found someone, we meet Friday.

In Medford, there are big solar companies that just want to sell you a large system. PureLight is a big one, and they are horrible. I have friends that are on their contract deal and a majority of their panels don't work and PureLight won't come and fix, even though they are only 2 years in on their installation. There's a few other larger places, but trying to find a knowledgeable solar person around here is difficult.

I'm in Grants Pass, and I assure you, there is no one here. I'm going through a similar scenario trying to get help. I think I finally found someone, we meet Friday.

In Medford, there are big solar companies that just want to sell you a large system. PureLight is a big one, and they are horrible. I have friends that are on their contract deal and a majority of their panels don't work and PureLight won't come and fix, even though they are only 2 years in on their installation. There's a few other larger places, but trying to find a knowledgeable solar person around here is difficult.
That’s awful. I’ve not been up there in years. But my recollection told me the population size was entirely reasonable.
Sucks that there isn’t much in the way of help for the diy solar crowd :(

That’s awful. I’ve not been up there in years. But my recollection told me the population size was entirely reasonable.
Sucks that there isn’t much in the way of help for the diy solar crowd :(
Yes it does suck. I would much rather pay someone from this forum instead of these big conglomerates.

I apologize if there is something like this already and I'm repeating, but....... Wouldn't it be handy/neat/cool to have something in here for local people near you? For example, in Oregon... there could be a 'chat room' (for lack of better term) for anyone in Oregon. Same for California, Washington, all the other states. That way you could maybe get some help from someone near you. ? It would be an invaluable resource I think. I've not seen something like that but I haven't looked a whole bunch either.

@Will Prowse any thoughts on the feasibility of a regional section/sub group? Maybe not organized by state quite yet, but potentially region.
That way people can attempt to link up easier for issues or sales?
I realize you guys have been throwing the kitchen sink at server hosting lately so I’m not trying to burn more holes in your pockets but I figure with @upnorthandpersonal announcement of 100k members that maybe it’d work?

a regional section/sub group?

The issue is, where will it end? You'd also have to do it per country, so it's not just the States. Maybe Will has some opinions on this.
I think if the request has the location in the title between brackets or so to make it stand out it would attract locals?

The issue is, where will it end? You'd also have to do it per country, so it's not just the States. Maybe Will has some opinions on this.
I think if the request has the location in the title between brackets or so to make it stand out it would attract locals?
Oh it’s a can of worms to be sure. And I’m not an IT educated guy so I can’t pretend to understand the potential impact in bandwidth or webpage design to accommodate. Was just a thought

Oh it’s a can of worms to be sure. And I’m not an IT educated guy so I can’t pretend to understand the potential impact in bandwidth or webpage design to accommodate. Was just a thought
Thank you for raising it. And yes, while it could be a can of worms, there could be some way to make it simple too I feel. I would love to see who is near me to check out their builds, but all I can do is search for my state and read past posts to see where someone is from. 🤷‍♀️

The issue is, where will it end? You'd also have to do it per country, so it's not just the States
Worse than this, you could set up the subforums per state - CA TX AL these are very large places, someone from one end is far from someone at the other.
But you could be near a bordering state, and someone in the neighbouring state is actually a lot closer to you than a person at the other end of the same state, but the subformum is not going to link you up together, because your in different states. Even Country is not the best, I live a lot closer to MN than to Toronto, even thou Toronto is in my Province, its a 900 mile trip.
I think the best is to say a general location in the Topic Title and let members figure out if they can help or know someone who can.

Back