diy solar

diy solar

Luyuan EVE 280 cells dropped to 280 AH capacity after just 5 cycles?

Alkaline

Solar Wizard
Anyone using these cells, I have 4 and they were testing to 285 on average, but after just 5 cycles they are now 280, some are even 278 ish. Is the over capacity something that diminishes after the first few cycles and then it settles in at 280?

using a 40 amp load tester I got from ali express

Are you able to test how many Ah being pumped back into the cell back to full charge each time?

Last edited:
Keep in mind that it is likely your testing method is decreasing the lifespan of your cells many times more than a typical cycle.

Keep in mind that it is likely your testing method is decreasing the lifespan of your cells many times more than a typical cycle.
This. To get 285Ah I'm sure you're going way up above 3.6V and way down to 2.5V. Also they typically degrade faster during the early cycles anyways.

For him to cycle it from 3.65v to 2.5v will NOT degrade capacity that quickly. The batteries are DESIGNED to work within those parameters. Granted they will degrade faster than if you cycle them between 3.4v to 2.8v. But it will not loose 5ah in 5 cycles. Its not an FLA battery.

I have heard of batteries "settling" after a few cycles.

Anyone using these cells, I have 4 and they were testing to 285 on average, but after just 5 cycles they are now 280, some are even 278 ish. Is the over capacity something that diminishes after the first few cycles and then it settles in at 280?

using a 40 amp load tester I got from ali express
I suppose you could test 2000 cycles and see if you have greater than 80% capacity? :) My point is that's what you would most likely see. If I recall EVE mentions something in their spec sheet about reduced capacity after a few cycles, or maybe I read that somewhere and it applies to this chemistry. I think the cells will settle if they haven't already. If you are really curious then run the cells through a few more cycles and see if they have settled.

I have put my cells through apx. 20 full cycles and they have lost a bit of capacity...maybe 2ah's. When I received them my weakest cell tested at 272ah's. I stopped capacity testing them but will run them through a cycle ever now and then to "check in" on them. The cells are the original LF280's. They arrived in great shape and I think they were new/old stock and if I was to grade them I would grade them as A- cells.

This is what I have, I"ll upload some pictures.

This sucks what is the point of buying an extra $200 if after 5 cycles they drop down in capacity to the same as what everyone else is selling.

Yes I did cycle them multiple times because I wanted to make sure the tester I had was good. I will stop testing them now though.

But I presume you got fully matched cells (which itself is not cheap normally), and the LF280K model which should technically have more cycles.
These batteries are known to test slightly higher the first few times they are cycled.

Back