diy solar

diy solar

Mac-friendly inverter?

scottmag

I'm about to invest in a new solar setup. I was planning to use the EG4 6500ex, but found out that it requires Windows to run firmware updates. I haven't touched a Windows computer in almost 20 years...
Are there any good inverters whose firmware can be managed/updated via MacOS? Or any other way around this issue of having to use Windows?

Oh.. but there is VE.Configure for the Victron inverter such as Quattros as well (not sure about any of their newer inverters) that does still require Windows to update firmware for an inverter if you need to. All the other devices like solar charge controllers, shunts, etc all can get firmware updates through Victron Connect which is cross platform.

Nearly all Victron equipment is accessible via MacOS and iOS including firmware updates. However, the MultiPlus-II needs a PC to update the firmware. Fortunately, if you buy a current model that firmware hasn't been updated in like a year. Just make sure your reseller updates the firmware and configures it before sending it to you.

Similar situation, although I prefer Linux. I have no idea why they don't just do everything from a web GUI. I can update a $25 or $1 million piece of equipment with a web browser on my iPad... why do these manufacturers require a proprietary app and serial connection?! The problem has been solved for a long time.

Do you know of a timeframe on it? I’d be willing to buy a crappy little windows to use for a little while but really don’t want to.
You would still need a windows machine to update the firmware on the 6500s. Solar assistant gives you remote control and data access, but not the ability to update inverter firmware (unfortunately).

It is AWESOME though.

Similar situation, although I prefer Linux. I have no idea why they don't just do everything from a web GUI. I can update a $25 or $1 million piece of equipment with a web browser on my iPad... why do these manufacturers require a proprietary app and serial connection?! The problem has been solved for a long time.
Victron has been trying to do that with the last holdout being the inverters (at least the ones available in US market). All their other stuff is updated through web GUI or specific platform app.

I did just check.. Their EasySolar-II GX does not require windows.. can just choose "update firmware" on the display or other device like a Cerbo if you have that in your system.. can also update from a microSD card or USB stick if you don't have internet. But the EasySolar-II GX isn't available for US market.

I'm about to invest in a new solar setup. I was planning to use the EG4 6500ex, but found out that it requires Windows to run firmware updates. I haven't touched a Windows computer in almost 20 years...
Are there any good inverters whose firmware can be managed/updated via MacOS? Or any other way around this issue of having to use Windows?

Lots of ways to run windows on a Mac

Just use boot camp, macs can dual boot to MacOS or Windows

There are also virtual machines like Virtual box or VMware

Use Google to search for any of the above.

Lots of ways to run windows on a Mac

Just use boot camp, macs can dual boot to MacOS or Windows

There are also virtual machines like Virtual box or VMware

Use Google to search for any of the above.
I guess the question is, I know USB devices can be plugged into the mac and used by the VM, but can the USB to serial COM connection successfully pass through the mac to be utilized by the vm? Never tried it before. Guess I should test it out..

Even if it worked, having to set up a dual boot/vm is a bit of work (including dealing with licensing) just to have to update firmware on an inverter. I would just buy a cheap windows laptop...

I guess the question is, I know USB devices can be plugged into the mac and used by the VM, but can the USB to serial COM connection successfully pass through the mac to be utilized by the vm? Never tried it before. Guess I should test it out..

Yes, Macs don't have anything special hardware wise ( intel based ), VM's work with most USB devices

Even if it worked, having to set up a dual boot/vm is a bit of work (including dealing with licensing) just to have to update firmware on an inverter. I would just buy a cheap windows laptop...

Virtualbox is simple as it gets and you can find disk images to use, not much more than install Virtualbox and select the image to run.

I did all of the programming and updates on my MultiPlus with a USB-MK3 and the Victron Connect app on my Mac Mini.

Virtualbox is simple as it gets and you can find disk images to use, not much more than install Virtualbox and select the image to run.

So in the last 30 minutes, I did download and install Virtualbox, download the windows 10 iso from microsoft, and get the OS running on my Mac Mini (intel) running Ventura 13.2.1.

Took me a minute to find out how, but I was able to plug in the USB to serial adapter into the Mac and have Virtualbox pipe that connection into the Windows VM, allowing the firmware software to see the COM port. I didn't update any firmware (cause I didn't want my wife yelling at me for losing power), but it seems like it will work.

Thanks @Solar Guppy

1679505808921.png

I’d honestly just buy the unit with the firmwares updated and programmed for the battery chemistry. I don’t think firmwares are being updated weekly/monthly.

I believe current connected does all this as you need.

I’d honestly just buy the unit with the firmwares updated and programmed for the battery chemistry. I don’t think firmwares are being updated weekly/monthly.
Depends on what units you end up going with. Even the Victrons release updates every once in a while.

I believe current connected does all this as you need.
I believe your right. That is an AWESOME service they provide making sure everything communicates together before you even get it delivered.

diy solar

diy solar
Back