diy solar

diy solar

Magnum MSH4024RE-L stackable?

McRod

Solar Enthusiast
Looking for a 240v inverter solution (UL cert.) to run an 18k dual zone mini split in my 400 sq ft Park Model.

I currently own 1 x Magnum MSH4024RE-L that I use in my 400 sq ft RV, but its only 120v output.

Can I stack two of these inverters or maybe purchase an autotransformer? Will an AT work with a low frequency inverter?

I am willing to purchase a new inverter so I don't have to cannibalize my existing system, so new inverter recommendations are welcome.

Some inverter parameters are:
1. Must be UL certified.
2. 120v/240v 60hz AC output.
3. Must be able to fit in a 24"W x 24"D x 9ft H closet.
4. Budget is limited to ~$3000 for inverter(s) only.
5. Currently use Magnum and Victron (CC) components and prefer their software interface.
6. No high idle inverters like a growatt.
7. Minimum 24v/48v 4000w.
8. Off-grid use only.

Last edited:
Hello MR, looking through the manual for your inverter, I see no references at all to parallel split-phase 240V operation, so I would say no.

Have you quantified what the starting surge, and running watts of your mini-split are? That is where I would start. You need a meter that can read inrush current. I have a Uni-T 216C which I recommend to others here.
You simply place the clamp around one (only one) of the split-phase hots going to your unit, set it to AC amps, then press "inrush". It will read the starting surge after you switch on the unit. One the mini-split is running, you can simply switch to regular AC amps mode and read the running amps. I expect you are likely to see 4-5X the starting amps as you do the running amps.

Once you have the data, you properly design your system. Without knowing exactly what your numbers are, I'd guess that you need a low-frequency transformer-based inverter like an Outback Radian, or a Schneider XW. I have a XW+, and the idle draw 0.6A (30W). Both of these will exceed your 3000$ budget. What you might want to investigate is a "soft starter" for your mini-split, which would reduce the starting surge.

Hello MR, looking through the manual for your inverter, I see no references at all to parallel split-phase 240V operation, so I would say no.

Have you quantified what the starting surge, and running watts of your mini-split are? That is where I would start. You need a meter that can read inrush current. I have a Uni-T 216C which I recommend to others here.
You simply place the clamp around one (only one) of the split-phase hots going to your unit, set it to AC amps, then press "inrush". It will read the starting surge after you switch on the unit. One the mini-split is running, you can simply switch to regular AC amps mode and read the running amps. I expect you are likely to see 4-5X the starting amps as you do the running amps.

Once you have the data, you properly design your system. Without knowing exactly what your numbers are, I'd guess that you need a low-frequency transformer-based inverter like an Outback Radian, or a Schneider XW. I have a XW+, and the idle draw 0.6A (30W). Both of these will exceed your 3000$ budget. What you might want to investigate is a "soft starter" for your mini-split, which would reduce the starting surge.
IIUC mini splits don't have a high amp RLA startup, like traditional A/C units. They do use 240v's, which means I need a split phase inverter.

My system is properly designed and functioning, I just need a change in the inverter for a change in the electrical system. I was hoping to minimize costs, but when you add parameters, like UL certified, under $3000, 24"x24" space limit, the pool of qualified candidates gets extremely small.

Matter of fact, I have only found 1 line of candidates. That being the Megarevo line of knockoffs including the one EG4 is selling. But I haven't found any positive reviews.

You aren't shopping in the right places. Here are two choices for you....

I have the 4024 and can vouch for it's ruggedness. Has even powered a 1.6hp air-compressor without blinking.

The Radian is a bit longer than your maximum, but is the cabinet 9'?

You aren't shopping in the right places. Here are two choices for you....

I have the 4024 and can vouch for it's ruggedness. Has even powered a 1.6hp air-compressor without blinking.

The Radian is a bit longer than your maximum, but is the cabinet 9'?
You are right. I haven't been looking in the right places. When you follow someone like Will Prowse for information, you get other "recommendations" from Utube and google, like David Poz, etc who all do promotions for MPP knockoffs and Signature Solar. It's hard to escape from that ring.

I have looked at the schneider 4048. My concern is many...
1. It appears to only be capable of 2kw on each split leg. I currently have 4k on one leg, so I am concerned that will not be sufficient. Running a coffee pot and microwave on the same leg might trip.
2. Can I use my current charge controller, victron 250/100, with it? If not, that adds additional cost. Also cost for each piece, like the insight home monitoring and the distribution panel, etc.

Yes, this is a pantry closet, floor to ceiling is 9 feet. But it is only 2 feet deep and 2 feet wide. That space limitation, limits putting two inverters like the MPP 6548 in there. I really need a single inverter that can produce split phase 240v output.

Last edited:
Add Magnasine MS4048PAE which is 120/240 split phase to your list, It as well as the MS4024 are stackable the earlier model MS4048AE and MS4024AE are not stackable

Most other Magnasine models are 120 volt or 230 volt and most are stackable

And yes your current MPPT controller will work well with any of the stand alone inverter/chargers

Add Magnasine MS4048PAE which is 120/240 split phase to your list, It as well as the MS4024 are stackable the earlier model MS4048AE and MS4024AE are not stackable

Most other Magnasine models are 120 volt or 230 volt and most are stackable

And yes your current MPPT controller will work well with any of the stand alone inverter/chargers
I have the magnum MS4048PAE on my short list. I currently have a magnum MSH4024RE-L and it would be an easy swap out. My concern with the magnum is as follows:
1. Availability. None in stock from reputable vendors with no published date of availability. You can purchase from ebay and amazon with a no return policy and a "marked up" price. Many recent complaints of damaged units being received, so makes me wonder if these units being sold are "reconditioned" units being sold as new.
2. Will any of these 4kw split phase inverters perform the same as a single phase 4kw inverter, since they are really just 2kw on each leg? I know I can balance the breakers, but hoping I don't have to remember to tell the wife not to run the coffee pot, microwave and floor heater at the same time...?

I have the magnum MS4048PAE on my short list. I currently have a magnum MSH4024RE-L and it would be an easy swap out. My concern with the magnum is as follows:
1. Availability. None in stock from reputable vendors with no published date of availability. You can purchase from ebay and amazon with a no return policy and a "marked up" price. Many recent complaints of damaged units being received, so makes me wonder if these units being sold are "reconditioned" units being sold as new.
2. Will any of these 4kw split phase inverters perform the same as a single phase 4kw inverter, since they are really just 2kw on each leg? I know I can balance the breakers, but hoping I don't have to remember to tell the wife not to run the coffee pot, microwave and floor heater at the same time...?
1....Agreed.......Magnasine is moving production to Mexico...availability is limited

2 ...you cannot put 4 kw load on one leg, you must share the loads, Maximum on one leg is about 2900 watts

I have been using a Magnasine MS4024AE for over 15 years without a hitch, It was used when I bought it with a stuck fan controller, would not turn off fans, auxillary thermal and load sensing controller was added, still using it.

I have a 4448pae and have no problem with unbalanced legs. I run my 12k mini and can fire up the 1200w microwave or other what knots. Far as availability I was told by another member the other day he just bought a 4024 with a build date of 7/22 hetcho en Mexico. I also got one of my 4448’s new and the charger is inoperable. It took months but finally someone from Magnum contacted me to warranty my unit. He told me I should see a new one in the mail by January 2023.

2. Will any of these 4kw split phase inverters perform the same as a single phase 4kw inverter, since they are really just 2kw on each leg?
Let me correct that misconception.........

The Magnasine IS NOT two 2kw inverters.....It is a 4kw inverter with a split phase autotransformer as the output

Ditto the 4kw Schneider 4 kw unit also with a autotransformer

The limited output is the maximum load unbalance of the autotransformer...NOT...the inverter

Both of these units when in utility pass through mode can provide 120/240 split phase output from a single phase 120v. input!!!

Both are limited in this mode to 2900 watts..

There are some inverters that are twin seperate single inverters an example is the .....

SMA America Sunny Boy TL3000US which indeed is two separate 120 volt inverters.....this is evident when equipped with the SPS option (Secure Power Supply) option as only 1 inverter is operation in “stand alone” mode when grid is lost, limiting power to one dedicated 15 amp 120 volt outlet for emergency use (separated from line and household panel outputs)

I have extensive experience with these inverters and have been deep down inside them and can verify this wiring

Please dont ask about Asian stuff, I dont go there. Victron and Samlex are the other inverters that I have been deep down into.....both low frequency but not split phase.

I highly recommend all 5 of these brands as they have done me quite well, thank you.

Last edited:
Looking for a 240v inverter solution (UL cert.) to run an 18k dual zone mini split in my 400 sq ft Park Model.

I currently own 1 x Magnum MSH4024RE-L that I use in my 400 sq ft RV, but its only 120v output.

Can I stack two of these inverters or maybe purchase an autotransformer? Will an AT work with a low frequency inverter?

I am willing to purchase a new inverter so I don't have to cannibalize my existing system, so new inverter recommendations are welcome.

Some inverter parameters are:
1. Must be UL certified.
2. 120v/240v 60hz AC output.
3. Must be able to fit in a 24"W x 24"D x 9ft H closet.
4. Budget is limited to ~$3000 for inverter(s) only.
5. Currently use Magnum and Victron (CC) components and prefer their software interface.
6. No high idle inverters like a growatt.
7. Minimum 24v/48v 4000w.
8. Off-grid use only.

Possibly the Samlex EVO 4248SP Inverter/Charger 48VDC 120/240 VAC. It is UL 1741 and looks to meet the rest of the needed parameters. It is on my short list when moving from 120 VAC to 240 VAC.

The Samlex-EVO-RC-PLUS remote control is needed to program the EVO.

I currently use the Samlex EVO 2224 24 VDC 120VAC Inverter/Charger. It is very robust & programmable.

See attached specifications for the Samlex EVO 4248SP Inverter/Charger.

Attachments

• Samlex-EVO-4248SP-Inverter-Charger Specs.pdf
    493.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back